Aug 20 Weekly Challenge: New Years in August

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited August 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: New Years in August

For this week’s challenge, let’s roll the calendar back a few months to the beginning of the year. Do you remember when 2018 was all sparkly new? Chances are you made a few goals or resolutions for the new year. Things that you wanted to accomplish this year health-wise or in other areas of your life. How are you progressing on the goals that you set?

There are still 4.5 months left in 2018. That’s plenty of time to make substantial progress on your wellness goals. Yes, I know it’s a crazy busy time for people as we wrap up our summer activities and transition to fall. But taking a few small actions this week will not only give you a sense of accomplishment, it’s a great foundation for sustained progress this fall. A few simple actions this week will put you back in motion and moving closer to your goal.

This Week’s Challenge: If you feel you’ve gotten off track this year, identify and then implement one or two simple actions you can take this week that will get you closer to your goals. If you’re not even sure where to begin, chime in and ask for help! This group is a great source of information and support. And if you’re pretty happy with the progress that you’ve made on your goals this year, please post that as well and let us know what enabled you to make this progress. What have you done differently?

Let’s make it a great week!

Replies

• themedalist
    Options

bvd9ryjt2o3m.jpg
  • themedalist
    Options
    And It's Move It Monday!

gotirpeu7k9q.jpg

Please post your Monday workout on our Move It Monday thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/move-it-monday-weekly-challenge
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Love love love this challenge. Just what I needed. I derailed from my goals while on vacation and was feeling a bit down about it. Fall and the holidays are near and I need to stay focused to reach my goal.

My New Year's in August Resolutions:

Eat healthy
    Exercise
    Journal
    Be accountable
    Be Mindful
    Be my Own Best Friend
    Lose Weight
    Find a Job

Thanks @themedalist!! Have a great week everyone.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Today is the first day of the semester, so it's a great time for new beginnings. In fact, being a teacher for so long means that I've always seen the beginning of the new school year as the new year.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My new years in August resolutions for this wee
    1. Follow my carb cycling plan this week
    2. meditate 5 minutes a day
    3. HIIT for 20 minutes on MT and F (best macro days for HIIT)
    4. 100 g protein a day
    5. Do Esmonde-White for 20 minutes first thing in am and add in a plank just for fun!
  • themedalist
    Options
    These are some great resolutions!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    August resolutions:
    1st priority: Self-care
    2nd: Develop/explore interests
    3 & 4: Continue Food & Exercise/Movement habits
    5: Gratefulness
    6: Be there for others
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this. I have not met one single goal for this year. Last year (2017) I achieved so much, the biggest was getting rid of a major stresser by changing jobs after 24 years. It was life changing. I also decluttered and that made a huge difference in our home by giving us a whole extra room (which saved us a ton of money because we were thinking of moving to larger house)!

So, I felt that I really made huge progress on the Mind & Spirit pieces. This year was to get healthy physically. I have failed miserably. I have gained instead of lost weight. I have not established a routine exercise program. I have not established the habit of daily walks. I have not given up all added sugar.

I keep plugging along, but I feel like it is more just going through the motions at this point. I will think on this and come back lagter with an actual plan. I am not a quitter--I don't give up. So I'm not sure why I feel so defeated when I think about this. I think I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Any suggestions are absolutely welcome! (((HUGS))) to all. You are all doing such a great job!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I’ve kind of crawled into a cocoon the past few months. We’re having construction work and as it progressed since May, my husband’s rage issues have surfaced big time. My resolution is to journal every day and try to figure out how to find freedom for both of us. I also gave up spending time outside by walking or working in my flowers and will schedule that in daily. And classical stretch will become one of my priorities every day as well. So I guess I have spiritual, emotional, and physical bases covered.
  • themedalist
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thank you @PackerFanInGB and @nebslp for your heartfelt honesty regarding the challenges you are facing in reaching your goals. I think all of us can relate to you, even if our own challenges are somewhat different.

I also want to thank @prgirl39mfp for suggesting this challenge. This challenge, coupled with a podcast I listened to awhile ago, has given me an idea for a monthly recurrent challenge we will be starting in September. Something I’ve been testing out this month on my own with a lot of success.

So this challenge is a great lead-in for our “kick-off” challenge in September. For anyone who feels overwhelmed by the gulf between your health goals and what you’ve achieved this year, I suggest this. As others have done, just list your health goals for the rest of 2018. Focus on the “what”. Our first challenge in September, I believe, will give you a useful framework for HOW to achieve your goals.

I love reading your posts. <3
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I am struggling with this. I have not met one single goal for this year. Last year (2017) I achieved so much, the biggest was getting rid of a major stresser by changing jobs after 24 years. It was life changing. I also decluttered and that made a huge difference in our home by giving us a whole extra room (which saved us a ton of money because we were thinking of moving to larger house)!

So, I felt that I really made huge progress on the Mind & Spirit pieces. This year was to get healthy physically. I have failed miserably. I have gained instead of lost weight. I have not established a routine exercise program. I have not established the habit of daily walks. I have not given up all added sugar.

I keep plugging along, but I feel like it is more just going through the motions at this point. I will think on this and come back lagter with an actual plan. I am not a quitter--I don't give up. So I'm not sure why I feel so defeated when I think about this. I think I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Any suggestions are absolutely welcome! (((HUGS))) to all. You are all doing such a great job!

@PackerFanInGB
    Hi Packer :)
    I also switched out of a stressful job that I’d had for the same length of time - threw that energy into decluttering, too! Don’t both of these things feel GREAT!?!!
    I never set big goals re: exercise & weight.
    I gave myself 2-3 years. It’s truly not a race.

You have a lot on your plate right now.
    What if your emphasis right now was self-care?
    What is one, small non-food thing you can do today that will make you feel loved, cared for, thrilled to be alive, delighted, satisfied, accomplished, and/or that makes you prouder to be you?

Bubble bath
    A fun magazine
    Putting on Music as you cook
    Going to a park with a friend

I count buying healthy foods and/or cleaning/cutting veggies as Self-Care!! Because it IS!!

Alternatively, if you are feeling motivated to continue your weight loss journey:
    What is ONE small thing you could do this week?
    One person I know cut a large bag of chips to an individual size daily. The next week, a half small bag. Third week decided they were just salt & stopped.
    Another cut 3 12-20 oz sodas to 2 7 oz & 1 20 oz over 4 weeks of gradual change.

Then next week, think of how it’s going, and choose another Small Habit... (or continue with first until it is a habit.)

These habits accumulate & then you lose!

I began with figuring out breakfast. Once that was settled, lunch. Then dinner. Over a few months.

One tip:
    Take a Before Pic NOW and force yourself to take your measurements. I couldn’t face doing either & REALLY wish I had now :)

Wishing you ALL the best.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I’ve kind of crawled into a cocoon the past few months. We’re having construction work and as it progressed since May, my husband’s rage issues have surfaced big time. My resolution is to journal every day and try to figure out how to find freedom for both of us. I also gave up spending time outside by walking or working in my flowers and will schedule that in daily. And classical stretch will become one of my priorities every day as well. So I guess I have spiritual, emotional, and physical bases covered.

I’m sorry to read this. Your instinct of movement sounds spot on. How might your husband find a way to manage the stress of construction in less impactful ways on you (and him)?
  • nebslp
    Options
    I’m sorry to read this. Your instinct of movement sounds spot on. How might your husband find a way to manage the stress of construction in less impactful ways on you (and him)? [/quote]

Im not sure how this quote thing works but here goes my first try...
    Issues of a lifetime that are denied and not dealt with will come out in full force during stressful times. It’s not the construction conflicts that are the problem. It’s how my husband deals with them and expresses his concerns to the workers that is so devastating to me. The anger will not go away just because there is less stress once the construction is done. The explosiveness will be reduced but it will simmer under the surface. I’m kind of reeling right now. This is going to take some work. Thanks for listening.

• prgirl39mfp
    Options
    @nebslp hugs. You seem to have a great plan in place. Good luck. Ref to the quote just press the quote option that is at the bottom of the message you would like to "copy" on your reply and it will automatically show up. Your husband sounds a bit like mine, not in the anger but he is passive aggressive and does not know how to deal with emotional issues or stressful times. You seem to know what you need to do.

@PackerFanInGB Madison gave you the best advice EVER! @MadisonMolly2017 thank you!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you! That really is great advice. I'm going to sit down tonight and look this over again and try to make a plan that I can stick to with baby steps. Maybe Tiny Habits again? :smile:

I have surgery tomorrow so I'll have at least two weeks to sit and do nothing but read and think. Thank you again This group is so wonderful! (((HUGS)))
  • themedalist
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you! That really is great advice. I'm going to sit down tonight and look this over again and try to make a plan that I can stick to with baby steps. Maybe Tiny Habits again? :smile:

I have surgery tomorrow so I'll have at least two weeks to sit and do nothing but read and think. Thank you again This group is so wonderful! (((HUGS)))

@PackerFanInGB, today is your hip surgery day and I am sending waves of positive thoughts from New Hampshire to Wisconsin! My hip surgeries changed my life and gave me my mobility back. I am confident that once your hip heals fully you will be able to walk much more easily and without pain. You’ll be able to resume the active life that you enjoy. Today is Day 1 of a new you!

And yes, Tiny Habits are on the horizon and slated for October!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Good luck on the surgery @PackerFanInGB
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Thinking of you @PackerFanInGB
    Great times ahead!!
  • nebslp
    Options