December 9 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Here is a really good discussion question that was posted on December 7 by a team mate.
    This question is affects us all, so let's share our ideas

How are you guys and gals going to deal with Christmas foods and for those who do not host themselves, possibly eating outside of home? Any advice or helpful strategies to survive the days without blowing up the budget?"

Personally, during the last few years, my portion sizes have shrunk so that I can usually enjoy a holiday meal without experiencing the 'blowout" feasting that I did in my younger years. I chose to enjoy all of the foods that I love, but I just eat a modest portion. Admittedly, when you are at someone else's house, you have to judge what is a half/cup serving or a 4-6 oz serving of turkey or ham.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one...I'm not confident about portions consumed unless I've weighed everything; so other than eating in moderation, I have no words of wisdom. Estimating is problematic for me, as well as attempting to determine calories in someone else's recipes. I can't fathom how it can be done, accurately; so I'm just planning to take the pass days. Hopefully, there will just be three...Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve. I'll be interested to see how others handle this issue at holiday time.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Christmas ... I preplan my "party" days so I know how many calories I can afford to eat at the event and then manage my intake accordingly. If it is a pitch-in dvent, I often take 2 contributions, one of which I can eat more of in case healthy options are limited.

Christmas day is a planned pass day for me. I will still track, best I can. I plan to eat anything I want, but take very small portions of the very high calorie foods. This worked well for Thanksgiving, hopefully the same will be true for Chtistmas.
  • roma49
    roma49 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    3 x Yes for today out for Sunday lunch with friends
    As for Christmas I'm working all through the holiday season & I am trying to planning in advance what to eat, plenty of veggies and logging everything ~ hopefully keeping up with my daily walking routine and enjoying time with loved ones
  • lessn00
    lessn00 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?    Yes.. Cardio
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?    Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?  Yes

This is my first Christmas in the challenge. What I have been doing at parties and Thanksgiving dinner is keeping my portions small and staying away from foods that set me off in a tailspin. I am honest with myself and I know exactly what foods do that to me. This has helped me stay completely on track and away from any binging.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?   1 hr5 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline (burning off 200+ calories ahead of tonight's Social Event Of The Year (for us) ... we don't go out much.)
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Unlikely, but with my exercise calorie buffer maybe not TOOOO far out  
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?  Not going to be able to.

Pass #2 and has been planned (known it was coming since this time last year) It is the one social event on our calendar that isn't family related, and includes appetizers, multiple options for main course and multiple options for dessert. All home-made recipes, mostly made by a Ukrainian family. Impossible to guesstimate for logging purposes. I won't go nuts, but this is my "day of grace".

Given the way the rest of our holidays shape up, I can probably manage to use no more than one more in the month what with exercise calories to be eaten. Even I end up using the third, I MIGHT be able to avoid the fourth ....

Sometimes, like this time of year, having a limited social schedule can actually be an advantage!
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I am so trying to keep my 3 x pass days for christmas, that is my way of dealing with it, I will try not to over stuff with chocolate this year! More sharing,once it's gone it's gone!
    3 x yes for today, 40 min walk at dusk, christmas lights are so pretty!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    3 x yes for today.

I have successfully navigated (without too much damage) the rocky waters of the first week of December when festive fare raises it's evil temptations. (Why is the flesh so weak when all the seasonal goodies are constantly thrust under one's nose?)

I am calling a HALT! on the mindless munchies. (ie anything unplanned, I always prelog and factor in a few treats)
    H - Am I hungry? If yes, eat something HEALTHY.
    A - Am I angry? If yes, work off my frustration!
    L - Am I Lonely? If yes, make contact with someone.
    T - Am I tired? If yes, REST!

My other strategy is extra exercise. (I have been known to walk for the hour before midnight)

On Christmas Day, I have mid morning brunch; dinner late afternoon when I have melon starter; turkey, ham, and lots of veg; fresh fruit salad, with soy yoghurt. It worked well the last two years. And I am saving my pass days just in case I go overboard.

And above all, I do not stress over misdemeanours! They are choices I make so I just put them behind me and start over. It's giving up that causes the problems.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3 today. Way over in exercise, so well under in calories. Everything tracked.
  • Bill70Strong
    Bill70Strong Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, a 90 minute Yin yoga class in the morning, and a 90 minute trail run/walk in the afternoon.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    12/9
    Exersized?- yes
    Caleries?-yes
    Logged?-yes
    Christmas is a pass day for me,so, but i also make low sugar deserts,other then turkey,the meal is vegetarian. So i just try to be moderate. But also i dnt have any holidy partys.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,101 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3 - a good strength and intervals session and plenty of running around. Moved furniture for my mother-in-law with my son - she decided to shuffle everything in her living room.

For crazy days like Christmas I know it will be a pass and never log. I make sure that a large majority of the food I eat is vegetables so I can eat plenty without feeling gross. I enjoy watching others eat the richer foods I generally avoid. I keep away from triggers (nut mixes and dried fruits with nuts will get me every time) and limit alcohol. There is always an outdoor part of the day to blow off as many calories as possible! The next day is light. I give away as much food as possible when people visit! Or tell my son he has to eat it all or I'll...
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    12/9

Exercise? Yes X 3...I delved into some of the exercise calories today with a mid-day craving! Extra exercise rounds were NOT optional.
    Calories? Good
    Tracked? Sure did

This day started out well...resulted in a mid-day sweet attack, but corrected before the day was over. I can blame the homemade chocolate fudge for the deviation! I may know better, but sometimes I just need a chocolate fix! Managed to not go off the rails, so it's all good.

Have enjoyed reading everyone's posts about holiday control. There are so many wonderful family/friend recipes to be shared...why do we save them all up for 3 or 4 holiday meals per year? Is it because we savor the best and hold them all out for special occasions...or because family gets together only very intermittently, so we prepare everything all at once for a single meal...are we all connoisseurs...or are we just gluttons by nature? I'm as guilty as everyone else...but, exactly, what is the compelling force controlling us? I have only questions (with lots of thoughts)...but no overwhelmingly right answer(s).
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
  • OnlyDragonQueen
    OnlyDragonQueen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes