Dairy free is kicking my *kitten*

Options
coronalime
coronalime Posts: 583 Member
I am already GF. But holy hell. I cant seem to get a grip on this dairy free...I dont see it on labels..then lactose free isnt dairy free..WTH..ugh..I have like 500 books and so overwhelmed!

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to find? I'm grain-free, dairy free, and vegetarian, I might be able to help!

Pam
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Right?!?!?!? This can be sooooo overwhelming sometimes!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have been milk free for a few years now and I honestly find gluten free easier, but I don't have a big problem with either.
    That being said, there are a few "hidden" things to look for:
    casein
    whey
    whey solids
    buttermilk solids
    curds
    milk solids
    lactalbumin
    caseinate
    sodium caseinate
    cream
    lactic acid (unless it specifically says "not from milk" like Tofutti brand stuff).

A lot of salad dressings have "hidden" milk ingredients, as do many processed meats (lunch meat, sausages, and hot dogs are the big ones to look out for) and non-dairy creamer DOES have milk in it.
    Also look at the fine print when you buy spices - they "may contain traces" of stuff.

As a side note, Ghirardeli semi-sweet chocolate chips are "manufactured in a facility" that also produces milk products, but I have not had any adverse reactions from that - most products that have that statement have traces of milk that make me sick, but I guess Ghirardeli is better about avoiding cross contamination, at least with that specific food. Cocoa powder is also completely non-dairy, so you can add that to things if you are dying for chocolate.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Lactic acid is rarely a milk ingredient. It is almost always beet derived.

Also watch for caramel colour or flavour.

Keep in mind that most "dairy free" cheeses have caseinate in them, look for the word "vegan" to be sure.

I've been dairy free much longer than gluten free, so I guess it is easy for me. Coronalime - what foods are you looking for? Or what recipes?

Pam
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    . My usual breakfast was Chobani yogurt..not anymore (almond yogurt was nasty..So isnt too bad) ..Or a egg/laughing cow cheese omlete..not anymore..

Lunch is mostly salads so dressings are being re read and re searched. Put some A1 sauce on my steak and then realized that hey I need to google A1 again.. Thursdays I dont get a real lunch so Amys or GlutenFreeda burritos were a go too..not anymore

Then I bring home some food so exxcited and then realize OOOps its not Gluten Free..Had to throw out all my Shakeology since its GF but not milk free. Had to print Trader Joes GF and dairy lists and cross refrence..
    Poor DH made a crock pot of chicken with a packet of seasoning that is GF...I had to pull it out of the trash..and yep it contains milk..

I just want someone to shop for me and bring home all the food I need.