Pull ups/Chin ups

Options
Qarol
Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
I remember someone mentioning before that the Stronglifts program used to incorporate these but then they were dropped. I browsed the previous topics, but I couldn't find it. I figure y'all won't mind a new topic...

I just read this.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/646798-the-cornerstone-of-upper-body-strength-the-pullup?
(pimping out my buddy, Joe and his awesomeness and knowledge)

I have been wanting to try these for a few weeks but thought I'd need to start with the smith machine. What do you ladies think of adding these back on the same days as Stronglifts? I'd be a total beginner so trying those 10 sets of 1 probably. (I'd be lucky to do one set, actually.) Too much?

Does anyone have the original program info that details this? Is it some kind of 5x5, as well?

Replies

• RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    I'm doing resistance band assisted pullups in my lifting class and suck really bad at them, but it goes hand in hand with why I also suck at bench and OHP...my upper body strength is my weak area. I just try to do as many as I can and it's usually on days when we're working on upper body so it's a good fit.
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    A year ago I could do 4 pull ups in a row, unassisted. 4 doesn't sound like a huge number, but it was HUGE progress for me.
    I gained the strength while doing P90x. The rest of those workouts aside, the way they teach pull-ups works (and is in line with Joe). I used a "pull up" bar that went in the frame of my doorway (I paid $30 bucks for it). I used a chair to support some of my weight (by placing the chair out in front of me and placing one foot on the top of the back of it). Because the chair is out in front of you (the farther, the harder) you can get support without cheating (like on a machine at the gym). I would do different types (wide grip, overhand, underhand...etc.). I did about 3 sets of 8 each time. Worked for me....and is a clear sign that I've lost strength with my reduction in caloric intake. Mistake.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Q, I don't even know what the smith machine is!! :blushing: LOL I do use the Lat/Dip machine (that's what I call it) on days that I lift (M,W,F). I do 3 sets of 10 reps using the inside grip and outside and then do tris. My husband told me they will help to strengthen my upper back so I go w/what he tells me.

I don't think Joe will mind you pimping him out either! :laugh:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to do them but I am always so trashed after I finish lifting that I think I need to do them on off days.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do Starting Strength, which does include pull ups, but the combination of weak upper body and being very obese means that I am nowhere near even attempting one! I'm using the lat pulldown machine at the gym in the hopes that I can eventually progress to reverse pullups (where you start at the top) and assisted pullups.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. I've been trying to do them once a week. Usually on B days because you've used a lot less upper body than A days, but then I think A might be better so you get that full rest period... I don't know. Thanks for the link, though. I've always done the assisted pull up machine. I know it feels awkward, and not really like a pull up but didn't think too much about it. I'll try the resistance bands next time!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I use a resistance band, too, on my doorway pull up bar at home. Even with assistance I can't do more than 3 pullups, I can almost do one chinup unassisted. I used to be able to do a couple, but never got strong enough to do full sets.
  • justjen0117
    Options
    I"m incorporating pull ups beginning tomorrow as well. These are with the green assistance band on my pullup bar. I'll be trying VERY hard not to kip the get over the bar!

Was going to try to do 5x5 on the pullups but it may prove to be too much....will find out in the morning!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just added negative chin ups in place of lat pull down. I can do 3 which are hard but not bad looking on my first set. The other 2 sets are just plain ugly. They will get better.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I did some chin ups the other day. I managed 2 sets of 5 and one set of 2 before I failed. :) Would really love to be able to do wide grip pull ups!!
  • kazzari
    Options
    I did some chin ups the other day. I managed 2 sets of 5 and one set of 2 before I failed. :) Would really love to be able to do wide grip pull ups!!

That's really impressive! I'm curious, why particularly wide grip pull ups vs. the standard medium or shoulder width grip? I'm not aware of a particular advantage to a wide grip except a shorter range of motion.
  • amy1612
    Options
    Just because I cant do them,lol. I have to say, I cant go ALL the way down and back up on my chin ups yet, but its a start for me just going halfway, so quite pleased :)
  • kazzari
    Options
    Just because I cant do them,lol. I have to say, I cant go ALL the way down and back up on my chin ups yet, but its a start for me just going halfway, so quite pleased :)

Okay...lol. I haven't tested myself on half chin ups. Anyway, sounds like you're on your way.
  • amy1612
    Options
    Theyre pretty useful, and Ive been doing them at pole too to try and improve climbing with arms only. You sit on the pole, then put your arms slightly higher and try to lift up, off and back into a sit higher up the pole. Its pretty hard, but good.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    my goal for 2012 is to be able to do ONE unassisted from a complete hang position. i did p90x and was able to do well with the assisted using a chair...... never did get to do any unassisted though........ so, it's a goal for this year :-)
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I reached my chin-up goal with New Rules of Lifting for Women.. Basically worked out to it doing lat pull-downs and negative chin-ups.. plus using a resistance band at home.

Right now, I'm modifying the StrongLifts program to sub pull-ups for the rows. I would much rather crank out an impressive set of pull-ups than row 100lbs hehe :)

I've been doing assisted ones, but can do two real ones! Just gonna keep at it!

(posted on my blog! http://jenniferhudy.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/a-pull-up-for-my-birthday/)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I watched your video - great work on the pull-ups! What an achievement!
  • kazzari
    Options
    I watched the video...great job! I made a video like that about three years ago, but for the life of me I can't come close to that anymore. Starting to doubt I will ever. I've got a band for assistance and I'm lucky to do two with the band. I'll keep plugging away as I think it would be awesome to be a grandma who can do pull ups.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just added negative chin ups in place of lat pull down. I can do 3 which are hard but not bad looking on my first set. The other 2 sets are just plain ugly. They will get better.

Did my first unassisted chin up yesterday. The assisted and negatives are working.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Actually, I've been doing assisted chin ups instead of pendlay rows. :blushing:

I think my reasoning was that I didn't feel like I could do the rows with proper form. I googled and saw that inverted rows were a good substitute. Then I saw somewhere that inverted rows were also a good sub for chin ups so I thought well maybe chin ups will be a good sub for pendlay rows. lol. I think anyone who can do ONE chin up or pull up is pretty awesome. lol. The assisteds are hard enough!