PRE-OP DIET

Options
Did any of you have to follow a pre op diet.
I have to meet with the dietician about a diet plan but i mean like a liquid type diet?
I'm thinking about starting a liquid diet to help loose some weight before surgery.
Ofcorse i'll talk to the dietician and surgon about it but has anyone here tried it.
Any tips on brands?

Replies

• crosa527
    crosa527 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist gave a very specific pre-op diet. Some are only liquid, mine included 2 - 2oz servings of chicken/turkey, or greek yogurt a day and either 1 cup of cooked veggies, or 2 cups of raw a day in addition to protein shakes, sugar free popcicles, jello, broth. I had to do it for 2 weeks and lost 13 pounds before surgery. The most amazing part is after the first couple of days of detox from carbs, you will have amazing energy. I also drank a gallon of water a day. I'd fill the jug in the morning and aim to finish it by bed. Good luck!
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    VaingloriousVictoria Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My surgeon had me on a semi-liquid diet. I was allowed to have two protein shakes a day plus a modest meal for dinner. There were special rules for the last meal, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Good luck!
  • ErikaDawn1213
    ErikaDawn1213 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My surgeon had me on a liquid diet (through Better MD) for 30 days prior to surgery. I lost 25 lbs. before I even had the surgery. :)
  • crhelton321
    Options
    Thanks guys for the advice!!
  • ipinch
    ipinch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on Pre-op diet right now. Its 2 weeks, the first week is Breakfast - protien shake, Lunch - Protien shake, supper - chicken/fish and a salad with low cal/low carb salad dressing. Second week is an all liquid diet - protien shakes, jello, sugar free popsicles, chicken broth, etc. It is a low carb low fat diet to help shrink your liver before surgery.
  • Lisavautour100
    Lisavautour100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to start my pre op and my doctor has a 2 week diet which consist of shakes and bars from Minigue called Slim time. He says necessary to shrink internal organs which will give him a clearer view of the stomach
  • cbferriss
    Options
    My doc doesn't give you a pre-Op diet and surgery went fine.
  • lauragh30
    Options
    Hello I will be starting my pre- op liquid diet on thursday 9/13/12 Surgery date is 9/28/12.
    My surgeon wants me to start a very strick 14 days prior to surgery (Protein Shakes,Salads with Protein (white meat, fish, eggs) samll amount of low fat dressing or fat free dressing or vinegar and olive oil.

And 3 day's before surgery: Take (any laxative that you usually use) Take only Clear liquids after that. This consists of broth, Jell-o sugar free juice like crystal light any clear liquids.

Hope this helps
    Laura :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had to follow their "non surgical" food plan for a month before the surgery with a liquid diet for the two days prior. The goal was to lose 20 pounds before the surgery which shrinks the liver, allowing them to do the surgery laprosopically. I lost almost 30 in that month.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I was told to do a 1200-1400 cal when I started with my bariatric program. I lost 47 pounds from Feb till June 11, 2012 on it and using MFP. 2 weeks before my sleeve surgery I had to do a liquid diet that consisted of protein shakes with Whey Isolate Protein as the first listed ingrediant. 2 mixed with skim milk and 2 mixed with water. I only drank three a day though. I was also allowed other foods. My nut. gave me a list of veggies I could eat in unlimited amounts but they didn't include any starchy veggies like corn. I was also allow no fruit chunk yogurt, oatmeal or cream of wheat, lf sf pudding and a couple other things. The pre op liquid diet is to shrink the liver down so it's easier for them to move around in your stomach during surgery. I think the first thing I said when I woke up after surgery was-"what size was my liver?" LOL!