Warrior Dash

Options
LonLB
LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
Anyone on here that has completed a Warrior Dash?

I'm thinking about doing one, but honestly don't think I'm in any shape to do so. There is one in the Grand Rapids area Sept 12th.
Maybe next year is more realistic.

My problem is that it baffles me how people can run for miles and miles. I have NEVER been able to. Even when in great shape in high school I never could run long distances. All running I did was focused on getting and maintaining speed. (and still wasn't very fast @4.8 40 at 230lbs)

I'm really just a chicken **** I think. I need to just suck it up and do it.

Replies

• courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    you should totally do it! I REALLY wanted to do it this weekend, but unfortunately couldn't fit it in, especially with the price. BUT...I did another obstacle one and there were PLENTY of people willing to help you through obstacles and also, a lot of people (including myelf) that walked at different points...I know warrior dash is supposed to be a lot tougher, but from what i've heard, there's still people that walk at points through it..why not give it a try?
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I need to just suck it up and do it.

I am 243lbs and can run 3 miles in 30 minutes, and just started running in June, literally, I have never 'run' in my life until now. You CAN do it! Have you looked into Couch to 5k? That is what I used to get running.

Warrior Dash (3 miles), Tough Mudder (10 miles).. they are all on my to-do list and I can manage the running for the Warrior Dash, but I still need to train for the obstacles and to be able to run the full Tough Mudder.. I am planning to do them summer 2013.
  • GypsyWillow22
    GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually on Sept. 15th.
    http://runkeeper.com/race/warrior-dash-19745/28583

But if you feel like you can't do the Warrior Dash. Join me in the Bridge Run on Sept. 16th! It's cheaper too!
    http://www.thebridgerun.com/
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    (2) Warrior Dashes and (1) Tough Mudder under my belt now.

Do the Warrior Dash. You can walk if you need to. Just do it and finish it.
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    (2) Warrior Dashes and (1) Tough Mudder under my belt now.

Do the Warrior Dash. You can walk if you need to. Just do it and finish it.

I agree 100% - I did my first warrior dash yesterday, the longest run was the first mile, but then after that the runs were broken up by the obstacles so it gave you some breaks. I was able to complete all of them and had a great time. I can't wait for next years!
  • skeck
    skeck Posts: 46
    Options
    I did my first Warrior Dash this past weekend and it was a BLAST - and I hate running!

My personal opinion is that I actually had the guts to sign up, drive to it and finish the race (albeit very slowly) and that was an accomplishment in itself. I have several friends who didn't even dare sign up!

There are PLENTY of people who walk it, I did a walk/run type of thing and it worked for me.

You can do it! Bring a friend along and just have fun!!
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The gang that ran it this year is already signed up for 07/27/2013. 07/17 - Saturday is almost sold out!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I did my first warrior dash in KY about a month ago at 240lbs. Quite honestly, its not like a regular 5k where you just run for 3 miles...the obstacles break up the running and there were lots of walkers between obstacles at mine. Just sign up and you won't regret the experience:) Get some friends together it's much more fun when you have a group.