The right tool for the job???

Options
BigDnSW
BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
Before I spill any beans, what kitchen tools do you recommend for slicing various veggies like sweet potatoes, zucchini, squash, etc. to make healthy chips. Also, what kind of kitchen gadget would be great for making healthy "fries" (not fried) with the same and more vegetables or cutting a low fat, low carb corn tortilla...lavash/flatbread? I love gadget and geek gear. Why not geek out with cool tools for a healthier lifestyle?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Oh, I want to know this, too.
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    *DISCLAIMER: I do not work for this company!*. :-). But I have found this gadget fairly useful and affordable: Progressive International HGT-11 Folding Mandoline Slicer. This is one of a couple of devices I use to make everything from chips to fries to salads or veggie snacks, etc. All fresh and healthy. I also have good cutlery I keep sharp. You can get one or others like it at Amazon...and I do not work for them either. I tend to use manual tools for prepping meals or snacks. But, that's just me...no right or wrong here.
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    Addendum...I also use this for larger items: Progressive International Jumbo Potato Cutter. Both are easy to clean and don't take up much room. As I have aged a bit, I do not have quite the dexterity in years past. These two simple tools keep me from having the nickname of "Nubby".
  • 8smartypants8
    8smartypants8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i have an oxo mandolin from williams sonoma and love it. it's heavy duty and can slice at various thicknesses. only problem is for something like squash or sweet potatoes it is tough to slice them.

if you have a wide carrot/potato peeler you can try that for chips, or 'sticks' to bake. :smile:
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    Please enlighten me...how do u cook what you slice? I am working on learning to enjoy veggies, so anything that can help with this will be greatly appreciated :love:
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    Bake em on a cookie sheet with your favorite low or no sodium spices. Healthy, fresh salsa is great as well. Have fun with.