I am who I am

Options
My name is Becca and I am a new mom. I do not have friends and I never seem to get out. I am always walking and im always eating little food and even when I do what I am supposed to I am not losing weight I am only gaining it. Is walking really helping me out?

Replies

• MaryElemen
    MaryElemen Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi Becca and congratulations on being a new mom! So many things impact how much and the speed in which you lose. I can only imagine the toll on your body to have a baby and to get everything back in sync. Walking is one of the best excercises and is always good. I did not look up your profile to see how long you have been with MFP and if you are tracking what you eat. May be you are not eating enough? I would suggest talking to your doctor and ask for a well balanced diet for you to follow and then ask others on the site here to comment on your diary to suggest different foods. It is amazing the amount of knowledge folks here have and are willing to help.
    So you have lots of friends now and plenty of us out here struggling right along with you!
    Mary
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca! Glad you are here. I totally understand your frustration and echo the thoughts of Maryelemen. I went to my MD and then a nutriionalist (natural) and both agreed I was eating too little and adjusted what I was eating. I also started a food and exercise diary back in April and the pounds began to drop again. I now use the tools here at MFP. I have a long way to go as well and most of my friends are out of state. Have found great support here...even tough ole guys need help. Losing weight is a bit different for everyone...and not to be trite or corny, but I guess that's what makes us special. Good luck and keep us posted if you wish.
  • yesIsaidthat
    Options
    thank you guys so much its nice to hear people actually care!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca!
    I can totally relate. I had my kids by c/section, so even walking wasn't much of an option for me at first. It definitely helps. Even if it's not doing much for the weight loss, it's helping you to get moving so do it! I wish I'd done more earlier when I could. Are you nursing the babe? I found that was a tough thing for me. Most women swear they lost tons of weight nursing-not me. Not all women do-I gained. I honestly thing it has a lot to do with what and how much you eat. I wasn't eating right. And, some of us just won't lose during that time and that's okay, too.

Hang in there and treasure this time with the bunny. :)
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Becca:

This will get me flamed-- but walking is NOT a very good way to lose weight. It's a great cardio exercise but it's not a very quick calorie burner.

Unless I happen to go for a walk on the beach I don't use walking as one of my exercises.

Most of us have limited time to work out and I prefer to invest my time in high burn rate exercises.

My two favorites?

1) Water jogging. I'm planning to do a blog post about this because I get so many questions about it, but basically it's just running, in a treading water kind of way, in the deep end of the pool. It's easy on the joints, you move most of the muscles in your body-- which means lots of calories burned-- and the water helps you stay cool.

2) Stationary bike. I have a $159 recumbent bike, made by Marcy, that is sold at Walmart. It has the pedals out in front, has a wide, comfortable bench seat and is whisper quiet. You don't even have to turn up the volume on the television.

Both of those burn LOTS more calories than walking and are easier on the joints.

If you get a nice comfortable exercise bike-- that you'd actually use-- and ride it for 45 minutes per day you WILL lose weight. There's not way NOT to.

That's my story-- and I'm sticking to it!

Good luck.

-Chelle
  • yesIsaidthat
    Options
    thank you both for what you said but i have to say that with me being a very low income family its hard to eat right. its so bad that we have to eat what we have. we cant go out and buy food. we have to eat what we have in the cabinets and if we don't have anything then we do not eat for the night. so finding things for exercising is REALLY hard since i have no money :(
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Becca, I understand your financial situation. My wife and I lived a meager existence per money till about 7 years into our marriage. Then things finally started to happen. We lived on whatever as well and rarely ate out. I agree with Chelle about walking and running. Yup, might get flamed here as well. There are some great exercised you can do actually sitting in a chair that will burn calories faster, be aerobic, get your heart rate and metabolism up and can be had with many light items in your house that are light weight. I used to run 1 hour a day 5 days a week. Then two accidents later...no more. I am 54 years young and am losing more lbs. than my MFP tracker indicates.

I sit in an armless chair and do most all exercises with very low weight (a can of soup or beans will do if you don't have 1 or 2 lb. dumbbells). I do high reps at a very quick pace 20 minutes two times a day. I "run" in place (sitting with weights), do curls very fast, arm extends, several exercises with hands above head, etc. I use the weights for 15 minutes of the exercise time, then the last 5 minutes, no weights and cool down.

Go to Livestrong.com and do a search for stationary aerobics...you find many that require no machines.

Keep trying and keep the faith. We are here for you!
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi Becca!

A new baby! Great! I know easy to say since two are grown and one in HS...they do grow up, so enjoy each moment...it's wonderful that you are working so hard to take care of yourself and your baby. Some people hv more than you and do do nearly as much as you..so be proud! My mom and I were so poor, very much like yourself. She tells me how poor and hungry we were, but hun, I don't remember one bit of that. I do remember my bed being on boxes so, I slept on a 'real' bed. That is my one bad memory. However, I hv many memories of playing at the park w my mom, we made a lot of mud pies using wht little utensils we had. Learning to ride a bike. Picnics were my favorite! So hang in there baby girl and make what you hv an event. I think your baby is still very young, but soon your baby will be walking and talking, try to enjoy every moment...of course you will flip flop between need of diapers, but don't let anything or one still those precious moments that only belong to you and your little one, those don't cost a thing!

I am all grown up, married, never made it to college yet. My mom and the wonderful man who adopted me never had a lot of money. My dad past way 18 mths ago and it left my mom destitute yet again. Howerver, the fairy tale does hv a wonderful ending, my wonderful husband and I bought a house for her and she is moving up to be by us. She will never be rich, but she is loved and I will take care of her, just as she did me...honestly, I am glad that we can do it in a house of her own for my own selfish reasons :tongue:

Back to reality...as far as exercise, for myself I walk then run, then walk..can't remember what's that is called..anywho, it gets my heart rate up. I can't spend too much energy ex so doing 20 mins w heart rate increase, I come back feeling good. If I walk an hour I crash, so less is better for me but w a bit of cardio in there too.

Also, during my 'spells' when I can't do to much, I try to keep my muscle tone by push ups at the counter and leg lifts. I also do knee bends even when bending over is faster. I hv heard some people standing on one leg while brushing teeth, or chg your babies diapers. Remember toned muscles do burn more calories. I love when I can feel my muscle through the fat..notice I claim the my muscle, never the fat :tongue:

Big big hug! Kim