Your favorite place to walk in MN?

Options
TeachTheGirl
TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
I've been looking for more places to walk! Mainly Twin Cities, but I'm up for learning about awesome state parks/trails/etc in other areas of the state too.

Replies

• MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I prefer parks myself. Afton State Park, Highland Lake Park Reserve in Bloomington has TONS of trails to explore. I'm curious to see what others say too.
  • eabohannon
    eabohannon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really like walking around Lake Como in St. Paul and Battle Creek (both are dog friendly) for Metro walking. For a little outside the cities, my friend and I loved walking up near Hinckley at St. Croix State Park.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The chain of Lakes is awesome, if you want to go outside the metro, Luce Line trail is really good also!
  • StarryOne
    StarryOne Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I probably do most my outdoor walking at the Arlington/Arkwright dog park in E Saint Paul- or just around the neighborhood. The lakes are nice, of course. I do also like Afton. If you are up for a little drive, Willow River State Park just over the border in WI is really nice for jogging and walking. Taylors Falls is also a good area for exploring and hiking.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Superior Hiking Trail - it's HUGE, and runs through a great portion of the upper part of Minnesota. I've been on many parts of it...................check it out here!

http://www.shta.org/index.php
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love Interstate State Park at Taylor's Falls. The River Trail has amazing view.
  • leelees10
    leelees10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sunrise trail, it runs from Hugo to North Branch.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Walked around St. Anthony's Park/ Mill Ruins Park last week. Loved it. Also used to walk on the Cedar Park Trail a lot when I lived there.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    I like to go walking around the lakes--Como in St. Paul; Nokomis and Calhoun in Minneapolis. I did walk Mill Ruins Park (near the Mill City Museum) and the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis yesterday.
  • uhohitstaylor
    uhohitstaylor Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Valley lake park in Apple Valley, or MOA. ;)
  • gone2facebookprint
    gone2facebookprint Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A trail in shakopee from the park .. I will have to find names.. I do not know them off top of my head.

The trail goes from shakopee to Chaska
  • Andrea2315
    Andrea2315 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everyone is posting amazing places to go. I live in Maplewood and often hop on the Steve Vento trail since it's right outside my door. Not sure if it's been mentioned, but gateway trail is good, and I love biking/walking to and around O'Brien State Park. Battlecreek and Como were mentioned and are my favorites as well.
  • eduardo_d
    eduardo_d Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lake Calhoun/Lake of the Isles then finish at Dunn Bros for a cold press. Definitely my favorite.

Second would be Afton State Park. It's close and beautiful and has hills that kill. Running up the stairs before the parking lot is an excellent way to finish.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I realized I never put my favorite walking spots!

I walk regularly around Fort Snelling State Park. I saw a red fox there on my last visit!

I also walk Como Lake, Central Park and occasionally Lake Calhoun.

Does anyone know of any indoor tracks for walking/running?
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I live in Woodbury so walk around the lakes here but I also go to Afton St. park a couple times a month and am working on finding time to venture further for some nice hikes, too. Also, the Lake Elmo Reserve is awesome
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options

woodbury has the bielenberg sports center that has indoor track
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Most of our state parks are pretty spectacular. Info about all of them is on the DNR website. I've visited just a little over half of them (there are 73 total), so feel free to message me if you want particulars.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I was just up north last weekend and didn't realize all the trails at split rock - they were very good! We live close to Victoria so always go to Carver Park. It's free and have lots of walking and bike trails. This weekend weather is suppose to be nice so we should all strive to hit the trails! BTW trivia...hiking comes from the old term: hill walking :happy:
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Brainerd has the arboretum trails over by the Baxter mall that is awesome- can walk for hours and see wildlife :)
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I realized I never put my favorite walking spots!

I walk regularly around Fort Snelling State Park. I saw a red fox there on my last visit!

I also walk Como Lake, Central Park and occasionally Lake Calhoun.

Most malls have walking hours posted :)