New Here but frustrated because I'm not losing weight

Options
snetterv
snetterv Posts: 7 Member
I have been using this program since April, 19th 2012. I am 55 years old and weigh 175. So far I have lost 6lbs. I have been diligent and haven't gone above 1250 but 6 times. I joined a health club and did not work out any in May but have picked it up again. According to my BMR I should burn 1542 calories a day.So I shot for 1lb per week at 1250 calories.

SO WHY AM I NOT LOSING WEIGHT! I'me just so frustrated. So I have decided to join the community :smile:
Thanks,
Stephanie

Replies

• clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Frustrated here too... fuming really, as I've been trying to lose weight too, and i could honestly say hand on heart that these last 2 weeks, i havent cheated, or legged it to the shop for a bag of Haribo (my weakness!) and how mad was I when i stepped on the scales to find i'd GAINED 6lb!!

Furious, sad, almost in tears! But between me and the hubby, the thing we think may be doing it is actual portion size. I have no idea what the right portion size is as we've all been groomed over the years to bigger and bigger portion sizes, (we as in everyone!) when you go out anywhere for a meal, your plate is bursting at the seams with food, which sometimes you dont eat, but you'd feel ripped off if you got a small portion size. so when you're at home, you end up mirroring those same sizes?!

After this shock, i'm now spending a few weeks weighing out what im eating to find out where im going wrong, i dont know whether you might benefit from doing it too? its a chore, but i need to find out where its all gone wrong :(
  • yenyarooiam
    yenyarooiam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to change your portion size
    First you need to read lables on everything you are eating read carefully portion size I just read a bag of chips a portion size was 11 chips =140 cal wow creamer 1 teaspoon is 45 cal ect
    You should invest in a food scale you can pick up cheap you can weigh your portions great diet helper
    I also use measuring cups
    After weighing for long time when needed you will be able to eye it when needed
    Another trick which you can use while eating out for meat and sides size of the palm on your hand
    Fill up on sald ask for dressing on the side use no more then 2 TBS
    While out eating stay away from bread chips and apatizers
    What you dont eat you can take home

Try these portion controll tricks and you should see the pounds fall off
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    those of us with medical conditions seem to take a lot longer to see any results. our bodies just dont function the same way as healthy people I think. I have been at this for about the same time as you Stefanie and i lost a bit early on, followed all the advise, cheated a bit a couple days then gained it all back plus a couple pounds! I was crushed and so upset. I got more good advice from the people around here and am eating healthier than ever in my entire life. I'm still not shedding pounds but right at this moment I'm feeling a lot better in myself. I'm hoping the diminishing pounds will follow.

I measure EVERYTHING.. either by cup or scales- its the only way to go to make sure you stay on track.

I wish you the very best
  • snetterv
    snetterv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hear you twiztc, I don't think we lose weight like "normal" people either but, I have seem some of the weight begin to come off...I found a great rhuematologist and he asked me if he could play with my meds as I had gained another 18 lbs in 9mths. I told him please. He changed my anti-depressant, Blood pressure meds and started wiening me off the prednisone I had been on for 24 yrs straight. I lost 6 lbs. in about a month yet my weight would flucuate by 5 lbs. daily which really frustrated me. He was the only doc that ever actually looked at my meds. Although its been exhasting and painful to reduce the pred. I stopped flucuating all together and am glad he changed my meds.. I have been eating much better and the combination of both made all the difference. He also told me that he felt I would definately lose another 12 by December!
  • kim8184
    kim8184 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Snetterv, Prednisone is something that will make you retain water as well as want to eat. I know when they prescribe it for me because of allergies due to shellfish, usually when I need an MRI with contrast, I try to only take it if I absolutely need it. I never finish the whole script. I know that's not advisable, especially with meds, make sure you do what your PCP wants you to do. However that being said, it is so hard to lose any weight when you take certain meds, no matter how you eat. I think you are doing the right thing by having your Rhuemie look over your meds and make changes. Just make sure that whatever the changes are that you are still getting benefits from them. The worst thing is to be in pain and try to eat properly and get in some form of exercise. I know there are days I have trouble getting out of bed. I started using Shakeology because I was sure I wasn't getting the right amount of all the vitamins and minerals that I needed. Since I've been drinking it, I do feel better and have more energy. I've also noticed that I've become more regular, if you know what I mean? No, I am not a coach and I am not trying to hock the product on here to anyone, I'm just giving my opinion of what may give you a bit more energy. I do find it a bit pricey but when I added up all the vitamins and supplements I was taking on a daily basis, it sort of equaled out. I do hope you find what will work for you, it can be so frustrating trying to lose weight and having your health battle back. Sorry for my long winded post.