Low Low Low

Options
I am new to myfitnesspal, and I am on an insulin pump. I have found that with my lower caloric intake, that my BG is dropping constantly. It is frustrating that I am always under my daily caloric intake with food, but the juice to bring my BG back up is 300-400 of my daly caloric intake and causes me to go over my daily limit. I decreased my basal on my pump yesterday and I will see how things go today with my BG. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what did you do about it?

Replies

• martindale11
    martindale11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am on an insulin pump as well. It was hard at first, but I played around with my basal rate and things are better now. I use sugar tablets and at least they are only 45 calories for 3 of them and that brings my blood sugar up enough. Keep going! I have lost 88 pounds and I love the accountability that myfitnesspal gives me.
    I have to periodically change my rates on my pump as my weight goes down..but it has been worth the hassle! Good luck!!
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a pump. My doctor says if I lose more weight she'll have to increase my insulin intake. Try consulting your doctor. They may need to change all your levels. Maybe your carb to insulin ratio has changed
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    YES! I've definitely had this issue, especially since I'm working out like a fiend nearly every day. I download the information from my pump, which includes my blood sugars and analyze the data. When I average a low blood sugar at any given time during the day, I adjust my basal rate down during that time. I try to do it in .25/u increments so that I don't go the other way and have high sugars instead. I also got the Dexcom continuous glucose monitor and it has been an AMAZING tool in learning to have better control, though mostly that has helped me to get rid of post eating spikes. It still helps me determine when my basal rate is too high. Just keep adjusting slowly and you'll work it out. The beauty is - the less insulin you need to use, the easier it will be to drop the pounds! Best of luck :)
  • la_tortuga
    la_tortuga Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating, but you have to look at the long game - exercising and clean eating lowers your basal rates which makes you eat more when you go low - but stick with it! After you sort out the insulin, your body will respond with weight loss. I hit a plateau at about 15 lbs gone when my entire metabolic profile seemed to go out the window - I was low all the time and it took me *weeks* to sort it out before I starting dropping lbs again - but if you stick with it, and recognize that healthy eating and regular exercise are as important for your health as weight loss, you'll get there. It gets better! (Then worse.) Then better! It's just more complicated for us. :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I am new to myfitnesspal, and I am on an insulin pump. I have found that with my lower caloric intake, that my BG is dropping constantly. It is frustrating that I am always under my daily caloric intake with food, but the juice to bring my BG back up is 300-400 of my daly caloric intake and causes me to go over my daily limit. I decreased my basal on my pump yesterday and I will see how things go today with my BG. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what did you do about it?

Yes. As I stick to a healthy diet and as my weight goes down, I have to decrease my basal rate.
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think it's really interesting to see how my blood sugars react depending on my level of activity. I tend to go through phases where I'm really motivated and work out consistently and hard, and then I lose my motivation and want to just sit on the couch and eat....although I'm trying to break out of that mold! But particularly when I first start working out, my blood sugars tend to drop like a rock and I'm constantly adjusting the basal rates on my pump. But if I continue working out consistently, my blood sugars tend to even off more and I have an easier time managing them. Then in the periods where I don't work out as much, I find myself slowly adjusting the basal rates up again.

It sounds like you might need to adjust your basal rates down, but I'd definitely recommend working with your endo doc to find the best solution for you.