Breakfast In SG (Healthy and Cheap!)

Options
sevcrucio
sevcrucio Posts: 4 Member
Hi Guys, let's try to build up a list of places in SG where we can get a healthy "budget" b'fast in SG. I tried making b'fast at home (egg white omlette and a slice of gardenia mult-grain bread) but after 3 days I got sick of it and got too lazy to cook in the morning. Tried to make it the night before and bring it to work, but after microwaving the omlette to heat it up, it just tasted weird. :(

So, I guess another option would be to find places near work to enjoy some b'fast. Anyone got any ideas? Let's try posting the foods + the location available + the price.

Replies

• jim_andrews
    Options
    My family have taken gym membership and with a personal trainer I am burning 800-1000 cal's / day. So this means I am trying to approach my daily calorie budget with b'fast and lunch and then my dinner - exercise calories gives me the ability to stay in the cal budget and usually finish 200 or 300 below the budget.

This opens up the options for b'fast. Previously I had a problem skipping b'fast and lunch and taking all my calories at night. Now I try to take calories in the morning and noon and eat light at night. So far I lost 10kg in 3 months.

For b'fast, I want calories but want to minimize fat. The baked curry puffs and Tazo tea, fruits and a protein shake (200 cal) takes me to 700-800 cals for b'fast. Starbucks has the Tazo tea and curry puff and I take the protein drink and fruit at home before jumping on th bus.

But I believe the b'fast choices in Singapore are getting better but still quite limited. I remember in the eighties is was more common to see places open before 7:30 but now not so much and as hawker centres try to cut costs, the quality and healthiness of the food has also gone down; at least I haven't seen a food court that has maintained the quality standard. They are competing on price.

When time is tight, fruit at home and the granola bar keeps you under 500 calories.
  • indianstallion
    Options
    Unfortunately not many healthy options there for breakfast. Since I started on my diet , it's been pretty much 2 pieces of toasted wholemeal bread every morning (no spread). It takes a while but you get used to it sooner or later. And I have a 2 fruit with it.

Paper Thosai is apparently not bad (around 80 calories) but hard to find where I live.