menu ideas

Options
alane15
alane15 Posts: 121 Member
My boyfriend is throwing a party to celebrate my college graduation. My one request (ok, demand) is that no meat/animal products will be served for my party. Does anyone have menu ideas that will work for a party. I was considering a taco bar with seasoned black beans. What else is inexpensive and can serve a large group of people. Are there any good crock pot dips I could make easily? Any suggestions would be awesome.

I have been vegan for less than a year so this is the first time many members of my family have been introduced to animal free foods. I'm hoping the food will be good enough that they won't miss the meat they are used to.

Replies

• darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this so I remember to reply tomorrow.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for some yummy vegan pineapple guac dip that would be great with tacos. Perhaps with the tacos you can go alittle southwest and add in some roasted corn with the black beans?

http://chefchloe.com/on-the-side/pineapple-guacamole.html

You can also make cashew cream to top the tacos. I used the receipe from 'viva vegan', but basically this shows you how. Very tasty! The recipe I used was just like this except it was water, not broth, and I added lime juice and salt to taste and some dried crushed chipolte peppers to make it just a little spicy. Also, the cashews should be soaked overnight. not sure why this chick didn't, they're harder to get to the right consistancy if you dont

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7QPQZPN8I
  • alane15
    Options
    Ok thanks, I'll take a look at these! Someone else suggested TVP sloppy joes, something along these lines might work too if anyone has a recipe they have had success with?
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    TVP sloppy joes are so easy! Rehydrate your TVP and then mix with regular Manwhich in the can. It's totally vegan.

Veggies and hummus are great.

Potato chips and onion dip -- pick up some Lipton's onion soup mix (vegan) and mix with a container of Tofutti sour cream.

A giant green salad.

I've also made spinach artichoke dip but subbing in vegan alternatives to the cream cheese or mayo. They turn out really well -- especially if it's a heated version.

Here is my favorite Black Bean salad. It doubles really easy. I've been having it for lunch every day this week!

Black Bean, Corn, & Avocado Salad

Ingredients
    1 can black beans
    1 can yellow corn
    1 avocado diced
    1/2 c. cherry tomatoes quartered
    1/4 c. sliced red onion
    1 tsp freeze dried cilantro (or fresh chopped)
    juice of one lime

Directions:
    Rinse beans and corn in a colander to get off excess sodium and gunk until water runs clear.
    Mix all ingredients in a bowl - gently so you don't smash up the avocado.
    Let sit in the fridge for about half an hour so flavors combine.
    Serve as a side dish, in a wrap, on top of a salad, or just enjoy it plain.

NOTE: This is great to bring to a picnic or BBQ. As long as you use enough lime juice and cover tightly the avocado won't brown.

Makes 4 generous servings

Here is a great "queso" recipe that you can turn into a dip.

1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
    1 1/2 tablespoons mild-tasting oil (such as corn oil)
    1/4 cup flour (I use all-purpose)
    1/2 + 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 tsp cumin (you might have to play with this)
    1 can rotel tomatoes & green chilies

1. In a bowl or large measuring cup, combine the water, milk, and oil and whisk briefly. In another bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients together.

2. Heat a medium saucepan. Add the dry ingredients to the saucepan, and slowly add the wet ingredients, continuously whisking over medium heat. Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, turn up the heat until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken.

3. Keep whisking as the mixture thickens and bubbles; do this for 1-2 minutes, and then turn the heat down. Keep whisking. After a spell, your "cheese" sauce should be nice and thick. Turn the heat off, and cover your saucepan.

4. Add in the tomatoes and stir to combine. This makes a "velveeta" like queso dip. If you have to thin it out, use a bit of soy milk.
  • alane15
    Options
    Wow that is a whole handful of great ideas! Thank you!
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Mexican is always my go to thing, I do refried beans, salsa, guac, corn chips, and you can do tacos with lentils instead of meat or use the refried beans. Have a big fruit salad, maybe some baked seasoned potato wedges if you can keep them warm. Best crockpot refried bean recipe IMO= http://girlwholovestheworld.blogspot.com/2012/02/refried-beans-in-crockpot.html , also I discovered a really good veggie salad- cut up some cucumber, zucchini, and tomato then mix in a tiny bit of olive oil, lemon juice, and dried or fresh dill, super yummy! Have fun, don't fret! Oh and my blog also has an awesome quick low fat chocolate cake recipe, works great for cupcakes- http://girlwholovestheworld.blogspot.com/2012/03/chocolate-cake.html
  • alane15
    Options
    oh yes thank you, I almost forgot about making a cake. I'll be cooking all night and morning before the party!
  • DannyeF
    DannyeF Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vegan Sloppy Joes (from Woman's Day originally, but I modified it)
    I served these to my in-laws and my father-in-law said, "I swear there was some meat in those!" Nope. :-)

1 can rinsed black-eyed peas
    1 can rinsed red kidney beans
    1.5 cups bottled marinara sauce
    1 can diced tomatoes, drained or 3 fresh roma tomatoes, chopped
    1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (EDIT--obviously, not the regular kind with anchovies)
    2 tsp red wine vinegar
    1 tsp chili powder (or more, to taste)
    1 chopped zucchini
    Bring all to a boil in a big pot, and then simmer until the zuke is tender. Spoon onto vegan hamburger buns right before serving. Makes 6-8 sandwiches.

Dannye