New Here

Options
lsgmsu1
lsgmsu1 Posts: 13 Member
Hi! My name is Lisa and I'm a married Mom of one. I have struggled with my weight on and off since my teens. I became gluten free in January after reading Wheat Belly by William Davis. It offered an explanation to my IBS symptoms, my potbellu that won't go away no matter how much weight I lose or how much I work out. I still am not seeing the weight progress I would like but my stomach symptoms are much improved and my sinuses are way clearer than they have been for a long time. When I do eat grains the change is noticeable immediately. I get more congested and I get a scratchiness in my throat. I also have sensitivity to other grains such as corn. When my husband and I went to Mexico this March I had some corn chips and tortillas and when I came home I was on the toilet constantly for a week. Also, I thought for years I was lactose intolerant but since going grain free I've been eating cheese without a problem. Now if I can just figure out why I'm not losing.

Replies

• peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm reading that book now. I am gluten intolerant and diet has definitely helped manage my autoimmune symptoms (I have lupus). I started eating GF at the end of 2010. I hope that you continue to feel better! Welcome to the group :-)
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lisa!!!! Great to see you here....

Are you subbing gluten free items for regular? (like breads, cookies, snacks, etc) I have found that I have a strong reaction to a lot of gluten free items. So I have had to eat very close to Paleo.

I have heard of a lot of people not able to lose weight because they are using gluten free breads and snacks....and those are still empty calories.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    gf items tend to have a lot more cals than "normal" food. :grumble: i also found when i cut out gluten (i have celiac) that i also have an intolerance to xanthan gum, which is in A LOT of gf foods. it makes me very gassy, i feel sorry for my hubby! there may be other food allergy issues going on. you might want to talk to your dr about doing food allergy testing to make sure there isn't anything else you should be avoiding. I am also allergic to nuts, avocados and watermelon.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    gf items tend to have a lot more cals than "normal" food. :grumble: i also found when i cut out gluten (i have celiac) that i also have an intolerance to xanthan gum, which is in A LOT of gf foods. it makes me very gassy, i feel sorry for my hubby! there may be other food allergy issues going on. you might want to talk to your dr about doing food allergy testing to make sure there isn't anything else you should be avoiding. I am also allergic to nuts, avocados and watermelon.
    OH SO sorry< those are all the foods I love. I find I have to watch out for those bean flour breads. Try getting some digestive aids. I try not to replace everything that used to be in my diet with a gluten free alternative. I just changed what I ate all together. I love reheating rice in the morning with raisons and milk.
    Or a bowl of steamed vegetables with cheese melted on them for lunch....
    I buy GF bread only when I get a strong craving.
    I am sorry I have so little to suggest, I am just empathising.
    I hope you can still eat dairy :)
  • lsgmsu1
    lsgmsu1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am grain free too. I rarely have stuff made with nut flours. I had corn tortillas on vacation and was sick for a week afterwards. I mostly stick to meat and salads.
  • robindowell
    robindowell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im so happy to find people like myself, makes me feel like im not the only one! I live in a small town, and most people have never even HEARD of Celiac's, and most in explanation think its just an "allergy" not fully understanding its an autoimmune issue. I have struggled with my weight since meeting my husband in 2003. I guess its true what that say, that women grow by men. I first got sick with Celiac's in March of 2010. I didnt have a final diagnosis until May of this year. (Terrible i know) But since eating GF, i can tell such a difference, and for once im not vommiting several times per day!! However something i never understood, is even with being so sick for so long, i still never lost weight and kept it off. I've noticed changes in by body, (less bloating, less fatigue, clothing fitting better) but no steady or noticible loss in weight. Im hoping to change that with smart choices, and smart movement. Im thankful to have found this group, and am blessed to have support, because sometimes, its just hard to HAVE to be GF..
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier for people to think of it as an allergy (something simple about that term). They don't really understand. I do need to alert you to one thing though - allergies are also immune related disorders - some people have minor symptoms - others can be horrible.

I've suffered with the kind of wheat (and environmental) allergies that cause me to have full body rashes, migraines, and a variety of other problems which can be nightmarish. I spent the first part of my childhood wearing long sleeves because my arms were so raw I was embarrassed - scabbing and bleeding. Trust me - Allergies can be debilitating and they are an immune related disorder. Ironically, the only way to keep my rashes somewhat controlled is a gluten free diet - but that doesn't totally stop them. Unfortunately - I am allergic to trees, grasses, everything! I can't roll in grass unless I want to hospitalize myself. I am careful to NEVER go outside when they mow the lawn.

I remember my sister getting a massive full body rash due to a medication (which is normal for me) and she said "How do you live like this every day?" I just thought I'd alert you that some allergies aren't the type that are just treatable with things like Zyrtec or other over the counter meds. My doctor said I can't reduce my wheat allergy - I can't be desensitized - I have to give it up.

I sometimes find myself even having to go to the doctor for cortisone if my allergies get too out of control. Trust me - allergies are immune related disorders. They can be life threatening and horrible too. I just wanted to be sure you understood that "allergies" for some of us are pretty nasty.
  • rlbryce
    rlbryce Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    On the topic of gas aids.....I looked the other day for bean-o and it said it contains wheat. What can we take then? Bean flour gives me gas, and with my increased salad intake with my fitness goals, I'd like to find something before school starts, and the kids are poking fun at me.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Wow. Really? I never thought about that one. How about Charcoal tablets? I've seen them in some pharmacies and supposedly they'll relieve gas. There's also Gas-X which works for that sort of thing.

Monica
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Hey Robin - You may want to also look into chemicals (like fire retardants). I was reading on some boards online that some people are very sensitive to the chemicals in carpets and stuff (fabric furniture) and that the chemicals themselves can cause you to vomit. I've always had leather furniture and luckily wood or tile floors which helps me out.

It may be reaching but I just wondered if you tried to look into that aspect as you could have more than gluten going on if you're still vomiting. If you are, you should see if they can do allergy tests to determine what else is going on. That could dehydrate you if not stopped.

Monica