Trader Joe's in Texas!

Options
SamanthaAnnM
SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
Any DFWers super excited about Trader Joe's opening up stores? I've also heard that they are opening in Houston and Austin but I don't have any details on that. I still haven't made the trip to go but I am really pumped because I've heard such good things about it! I love that we have so many health food options here now.

Replies

• jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am crazy excited about one opening in Austin. I moved here from OC CA and I miss it so much. I'm sick of spending double for half at whole foods.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    Options
    I definitely agree with you on that one!!! The prices of some health food stores are absurd, and it really deters me from shopping there on a regular basis. But I've heard awesome things about Trader Joe's prices.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am excited that one is opening here in San Antonio! I think it is going to be in the Quarry area. Cant wait!
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ooooooh I didn't know they were opening some but now I am excited!
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I went to the one in Fort Worth that opened last month and stocked up on all the items I normally ship from my trips back home to MI or from WA for work. I was also able to get all of the great frozen items I love like grilled aspargus, pre-cooked brown rice, potstickers, french green beans, etc.

The Plano location opens Sept. 7. I think I'm going to take the day off to go opening day....does that make me sound overly excited? LOL
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Now I am SUPER DUPER excited there's going to be a Plano location! I'm in The Colony so I can definitely hit up that one!
  • cmh806
    cmh806 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What makes Trader Joe's so different? I have not been yet. I live in Trophy Club and am a Central Market addict.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Its on my list to do next week that's when I start my my vacation :smile:
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I went to the new Woodlands (Houston) location last week. It's a little far for me but they are also opening 2 more in Houston I believe. My sister lives in DC and does a lot of her shopping at TJ she brings stuff for me whenever she visits or I visit her. I love, love, love Trader Joes!
  • SamanthaAnnM
    Options
    What makes Trader Joe's so different? I have not been yet. I live in Trophy Club and am a Central Market addict.

I live close to Trophy Club! :) I love Central Market too, but apparently Trader Joe's has really unique and yummy organic foods and is much more reasonably priced than other health food chains.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Wish they would come to San Antonio. I hear so many great things about them!
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options

They are. It's going to be in the Quarry and opens on Oct. 2.

I used to shop in Trader Joe's when I lived in NY and have missed it. I like Whole Foods but it's so expensive. It will be nice to have more options for organic foods.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options

They are. It's going to be in the Quarry and opens on Oct. 2.

I used to shop in Trader Joe's when I lived in NY and have missed it. I like Whole Foods but it's so expensive. It will be nice to have more options for organic foods.

I am counting the days! Cant wait til they open!
  • Mich3ll36
    Mich3ll36 Posts: 96
    Options
    have never been there but im all about checking it out
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I went to the one on Hulen last week. I love it.
  • mrpintobean
    mrpintobean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wife is also from OC CA and was very excited to see TJ's come to Ft Worth
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It is always good for consumers when there is competition, so from an economic/innovation standpoint, I welcome the addition of Trader Joe's to the mix of health food stores in Texas. There are several such stores near where I live in northwest Austin (Whole Foods, Sprouts, Natural Grocers ... Central Market is a little further away, but I love that store). That said, I've only been in one Trader Joe's store (in Boston), and I wasn't that impressed.

Besides, Whole Foods and HEB (which owns Central Market) are Texas-based companies, and that matters to me, in terms of where I spend my money. I do most of my grocery shopping at HEB and local farmers markets, but when I need something that's only available at a health food store, I will probably still go to Whole Foods or Central Market.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wish Waco could get something like this!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It is always good for consumers when there is competition, so from an economic/innovation standpoint, I welcome the addition of Trader Joe's to the mix of health food stores in Texas.
    I'll still do most of my shopping at HEB, but I definitely agree with this.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    so a second tj opened in austin this year. I'm a tj fan from VA and CA stores. IMO, the seafood at the austin tj stores is always yucky and freezer burned. Anyone else have this problem?