MTG

Options
mommajolynn
mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
Just wondering if this considered a game or not lol.

Well I know its a GAME but is it a gamers game?

Cuz I LOVE playing it.. even though I haven't been able to in months :(

Replies

• sgtfubar
    sgtfubar Posts: 6
    Options
    Man, no other MTG fans?

Personally, I love it. I've got about 4 decks I use, my favorite being black/green undead based.
  • Permbaby
    Permbaby Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I play MTG on xbox live. Does that count? :)
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i have a green, a black/green, a red/blue, and a black/blue deck. I love playing but haven't been able too in FOREVER!! I'm thinking about going to different play nights they have around town but I don't know if I'm good enough to join in with those
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started around 3rd/4th edition. I was casual player from the age of 14 till my early 20's then I stopped. it's not because I lost interest but just lack of people to play with. I still have some of my decks somewhere.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I used to play alot with a couple of my boys. My green monster deck was deadly. One of my boys actually does some of the smaller compitions and has boxes and boxes of cards. But I haven't played in forever
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have a trunk full of cards. I haven't been playing in a while though.
  • tiffeh345
    tiffeh345 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My fiance just recently got me into MtG. I play using a black/white deck. Surprisingly, it seems to work for me. I do not really have anyone to play with besides my fiance and his friends, but they live 90+ miles away. :(
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    We played competitively for a while - well, I was not particularly GOOD but my husband was going to PTQs and stuff - but we kind of gave it up because its SO expensive, and I had zero interest in casual play (too lazy). But it would be like 100-150 bucks to go to a release or pre-release, plus 20-40 bucks of drafting on random weeks, so we kind of fell out of it.

(plus its a lot harder to draft until 2am when you have a job where people expect you to be functional the next day, my husband did it more when he had a help desk job and just had to stare blankly at the phones in the morning).

But yeah, its a game. good times. EXPENSIVE, time consuming times, but still good.
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    up until October(when I started my new job) I would play MTG at lunch every day with a co worker. Only problem was the cards started getting WAY overpriced, I mean come on$40 for ONE planeswalker!!!!! Havent really played much since I left that job, except a couple of times on MTGO...
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I had it for the PS3 EyeToy. So boring. Sorry. Not my thing.
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    I had it for the PS3 EyeToy. So boring. Sorry. Not my thing.

yeah its definitely not for everyone, it's more about planning and strategy and playing it on something like PS3 takes out the best part of the game IMO. Which is deck building, since they do it for you with prefab ones.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I used to enjoy playing it casually and for fun, when it started getting too serious I kinda stepped away from it. I can still play if I wanted to, but unfortunately i don't have the desire to involve myself with these folks. They would just get rude and act like being good at the game was the ultimate goal in life.
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Black/Blue control deck, all the way.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Just bought four New Phyrexia intro decks >_>
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love MTG. I have a trunk full of cards and several decks--though I tend to play more on XBLA or Steam lately. DW will sometimes play with me--she has two or three good decks that I have helped her build, though.
  • ocarinaoftimid
    Options
    I mainly play Yu-Gi-Oh! but I'd like to learn how to play MTG sometime with a blue/white deck. I used to have MTG cards when I was younger but my brother threw them into the creek behind our house (twice). I've got a Duels of the Planeswalkers demo on Steam, guess I'll go through a couple tutorials. c:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My fiance just recently got me into MtG. I play using a black/white deck. Surprisingly, it seems to work for me. I do not really have anyone to play with besides my fiance and his friends, but they live 90+ miles away. :(
    Black and white works out quite well together. Get those protections going and just melt your opponents away. Crypt rats or pestilence will get the job done.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Just bought a ton of boosters, m13 and innistrad block.

Got tons and tons of uncommon/rare singles now. Glad to see the game is cheaper now. 3 good uncommons for a buck? Rares a buck each? With a few exceptions in the $2-3 range. Buying singles is the smart way to go.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I mostly play DoTP online with friends. I have some real decks, but collecting new cards is a little too pricy for me at the moment.
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    I started playing back when Revised just came out, sold everything off right after Urza Block, got back in around Onslaught, then sold off again.

Way too expensive now for me to even consider it. I won't necessarily blame WoTC as much as i blame Hasbro, but that's for a different day...

Now, me and my friends play Pauper. Cheap competitive magic for the win!