which flour to use?

Options
hungrybunni
hungrybunni Posts: 66 Member
Hi guys, I am going to make macaroni cheese with the GF pasta but to make the cheese sauce I always used 1 oz butter and 1 oz flour and half pint milk and 7 oz cheese........HELP what flour do I use now to make the Roux sauce?????

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I normally use corn flour for cooking thing like sauces.
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use Bob's Red Mill GF All-Purpose Flour for things like gravy and batter for fried chicken (not that I have those things often, but the family traditions do continue). I made a completely GF traditional Thanksgiving dinner last year and this flour saved the day. No one even knew it was gluten-free. The rolls were the only give-away as they were a Whole-foods cheese roll (not traditional for us) but still good.

Bob's Red Mill makes a lot of different kind of flours including non-GF so be sure to check the label. I didn't realize I had picked the wrong one until I was in line to check out once. :)
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use brown rice
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You could experiment and see how the flours do in the dish. I like Tapioca (cassava/yuca) and rice flours myself.

Monica
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,177 Member
    Options
    I use Domata flour.
  • Fairlady1964
    Fairlady1964 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use Gluten Free Pantry all purpose flour.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a mix I use at home that I make, but you can use about 1/2 tbsp corn starch and 1/2 tbsp brown rice flower. Mix them up and voila!
    You can use straight corn starch as well, but it will get really sticky-gooey and you want a little give so the roux can accept the milk on the next step, so the rice flour will help loosen it up and give it substance.
  • mickiylou21
    mickiylou21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite is King Arthur Multi-Purpose.