Food as medication

Options
Honeybee165
Honeybee165 Posts: 10 Member
What do u do when you are having severe anxiety and want to binge to relieve the anxiety symptoms? When I binge food medicated me and puts me at easy... Then if I feel bad about it, at least the anxiety is gone. But I'm here because I want to learn other ways to deal wit my anxiety. Any tips?

Replies

• Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding very cliche, I just started jogging (very slowly, and mostly walking) a few weeks ago. I don't think I've binged a single time since then, at least not like I used to.

Now, I make something low calorie that I know I can kind of mindlessly munch on. Like popcorn. I cook it on the stove. It's really fun to make! And I can eat a lot without feeling guilty.

I read, garden, drive, clean, pretty much anything I can do to try to take my mind off what I'm feeling. I keep a handwritten journal too. I don't write in it every day (sometimes I go months without writing) but it's a place where I can kind of talk things out with myself. Then I can look back at what I wrote, or sometimes just writing about it is enough to help me out.

You could take a long shower. I always feel better about the world after a long, hot shower.

Just a few ideas :tongue:
  • Honeybee165
    Honeybee165 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much :D all those are great ideas. I will try the popcorn ;)
  • Antonia2501
    Antonia2501 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Popcorn rocks. But for a sweet craving I keep a lollipop around and cause I can't eat a whole one I just have some in small doses. Lol that's how I deal
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Exercise and diet are what have helped me. I don't eat any dairy, very little processed foods and no pasta, grains or sugar (paleo). It was really hard for the first couple of weeks, but I have noticed a huge difference. Not only am I losing weight, but I have more energy, sleep better and have less anxiety. My anxiety is still there, but much less. Instead of having attacks 2-3 times a week or more, I mainly only have them once a month during TOM. I am slowly feeling like there is hope of getting better. Hang in there.
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    I was in a 3 week funk, and that actually caused me to be anxious. I ate things without care, and didn't do much. Now that I am back on my feet, exercising and eating better "Not 100% great" I feel loads better. My anxiety at times seems over bearing, and at other times, it seems almost like a thing of the past. The sole difference on which way I feel depends on diet and exercise, which is why I can only say that the sure fire way of helping in the long run without medication is keeping on the exercise. I play a lot of Dance Dance Revolution. It is so incredibly fun, and burns a *kitten* ton of calories depending on your played skill level "I am playing a lot more expert now a days since I am getting good at it, and burn 50+ calories every couple of minutes." I agree popcorn is great! I have Secret Pop brand. They actually make a 100 calorie per bag packaged boxes for those trying to watch their calorie intake. A good workout can help make you feel more awake and alive, and it burns some of that bad stuff out of your body that causes anxiety, releases chemicals in your brain that actually cause happiness, and is a natural anti-depressant. If you want to do something else besides exercise, or snacking, I suggest taking a nice bath with lavender epsom salt. That has done wonders for me. Even if you aren't a huge fan of lavender, it is still a natural anti depressant, so it is worth a shot. I have posted many things on other forums about combating anxiety so I won't stray too far from the topic here. Check out the other forums. Other members of this group have also submitted some excellent ideas. Hope you are doing better!
  • angel924_2004
    Options
    Yeah, I just got through a several week funk where I binged to help with my extreme anxiety. I will say that trying to go for a walk or a jog really helped me get through the desire to binge and somewhat relieve the momentary anxiety. And not keeping any bad food in the house (though grub hub makes it really easy to buy that pizza or chinese food or whatever to binge on).

Still trying to figure out the best diet to control the anxiety. Love the suggestion of Paleo.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Eating actually triggers my attacks, especially the first meal of the day.
    Drinking beer keeps them at bay, but I can't drink beer all day. Xanax
    with lunch works, then a ciouple of beers at night makes life bearable.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have learned that eating no sugar, very little caffeine, no dairy and grains has helped tremendously. For the last couple of weeks, I went off the diet and anxiety attacks were pretty severe. So, back on it today.