White rice vs. Brown rice

Options
glamourgurl
glamourgurl Posts: 12 Member
Most of us know that brown rice its better for you, but which do you prefer? Is it always worth the longer cooking time? Thanks for posting. =)

Replies

• cdcurrie
    cdcurrie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have known brown rice is better for me than white rice for a long time. I have wanted to like brown rice but I gotta say I just really did not. THEN I tried sprouted brown rice from Costco. I'm really not sure what makes it different but I really liked it! Now that is what I eat..and prefer it.
  • glamourgurl
    glamourgurl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    that sounds good, is it precooked? or what type of packaging does it come in? it sounds good. I like brown rice in the morning for breakfast with some soymilk and vanilla. it is almost like a rice pudding.
  • kalbo_al
    kalbo_al Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know brown rice is better for you nutritionally, but I live in Korea, my wife is Filipina so I go there a lot as well but I never see Asians eating brown rice. Or at least, very rarely. It's white, long grain rice everywhere you go. Any ideas why?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I know brown rice is better for you nutritionally, but I live in Korea, my wife is Filipina so I go there a lot as well but I never see Asians eating brown rice. Or at least, very rarely. It's white, long grain rice everywhere you go. Any ideas why?
    I think its more of a cultural thing or it could be that rice is the main source of their crop. However this doesn't apply to only Asians. Puerto Ricans & Mexicans also considers white rice as part of their diet. Mexican rice is kinda like java rice but still made of white rice. But as for myself I do eat brown rice & even influenced some members of the family to eat it.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    If only the two is equal of nutrients then of course I prefer the softer texture of white rice over brown rice. However I know that the softer texture in white rice is the result of the absence of fiber that was removed at the time of its process & that white rice is considered as refined carbs which should be avoided or just eaten in small quantities if you really can't help it.
  • kalbo_al
    kalbo_al Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    that's some great information. thanks for sharing. :)
  • cdcurrie
    Options
    It is not pre-cooked. It comes in a 1.8 kg bag. Brand name Wildroots. I think one of the things I like about it is it is softer than regular brown rice (as it claims on the package!)
  • cdcurrie
    Options
    It is not pre-cooked. It comes in a 1.8 kg bag. Brand name Wildroots. I think one of the things I like about it is it is softer than regular brown rice (as it claims on the package!)
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I love white rice (short grain, specifically), and sweet rice. Yum. It has great texture, and goes with everything. Brown rice is harder, and doesn't go with sauces as well, but it is better, nutritionally. I'm trying to reduce the amount of white rice I consume, though, because it is high in carbs and low in nutrition and fiber. I try for 1/4 of a cup or so of rice. Sometimes it is just so good, though, like Hainan Chicken and rice.
  • natasha00100
    natasha00100 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Rice Diet? I just started it a couple of days ago, and so far I absolutely love it!!! I use white rice (about 300grms a day cooked, and have it for breakfast., lunch and dinner, together with vegetables and fruit. Minimal protein, mainly fish and chicken and a little lean meat.

Are you having any success with the Asian style of eating in losing weight? I have a lot to lose...:(((

Cheers...!!!
  • LilMissImperfect
    Options
    I have lost 11 LBs in 3 weeks so far "eating like an Okinawan" =)
  • xiamay93
    xiamay93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i preferrrrrr white ricee. instead of eating brown rice, I reduce the portion for white rice and enjoy what i like! :)
  • jjcigle
    Options
    I am Korean and people all the time tell me brown rice is so much better for you why eat white? Brown rice may have more nutrients but it is too tough your body cannot digest them properly and its actually harder on your body to eat brown rice. That being said we mainly eat rice to add some density to our meals since we do not eat much meat at all and mainly eat veggies. Plus white rice is much better to eat with spices and sauces on it because it is already so plain! Hope this help!