anyone else not giving up thier "good coffee"

Options
scorpiomfs
scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
I love my morning coffee. When i was told I was diabetic, I asked about my coffee. I was told that as long as i cut sugar in other places i could still make it like i always did. So I do. I have bought zero cal flavors, all the kinds of artifical sugars, Yet I still find I like my coffe like I always have. Im willing to spend what ever calories I need to enjoy this morning ritual. My blood sugar reading are good. I have even had my meds reduced. Coffee is the only thing i drink my calories with.Its about 40 a cup. So anyone else not giving up the good stuff?

Replies

• mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I definitely changed how I drank my coffee during my weight loss. I used to load it with flavored creamer. Since I drink coffee all day (6-8 cups), however, I bit the bullet and began drinking it black. Occasionally I'll have a skinny Starbucks latte or a homemade Moka, but I've definitely adapted to drinking it black. My husband is thrilled--now when he steals a sip of my coffee, it's how he prefers it!

Hrm...I think it's time to go find a fresh cup!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    No changing it here either. I reduced the amount, I'm down to a cup every couple days rather than 4 cups a day. But its the same sugar/creamer as always. My son helped me with this one by breaking my coffee carafe so I had to go out for coffee if I really needed a cup. I got a new carafe a week ago and only brewed coffee once and only had one cup. I guess with losing weight I don't NEED it like I used to, I just want it ;-)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I never used sweetener, but I've always preferred my coffee with half and half- regular milk only in a pinch. I've refused to give it up. I drink at least two travel mugs worth in the morning, and sometimes a cup of decaf in the afternoon. Life's too short, and I figure the goal is to be as healthy as I can be, not to punish or deprive myself. I'd never be successful that way.

My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He gave up coffee, but the man was never a huge coffee drinker to begin with. His love is dark chocolate, and he still has that every day, in moderation.

It's all about making the choices you can live with.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i have gotten myself down to a cup a day - sometimes two, but not more than twice a week - i haven't changed how i drink it. i'm willing to allot the calories. i figure it's part of that "lifestyle change, not diet" thing. i need coffee. i drink it. that is not going to change. and i like it sweet and light. that's not going to change either.
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    im glad to know im not alone, :smile:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I will not give up anything especially my good coffee when it comes to this - unless people want to be hurt!!!
  • Hope1971
    Hope1971 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Coffee..what can I say...I only had 2 liquid addictions in my life one was Diet Dew..that addiction is HISTORY! I no longer touch pop, however COFFEE..never will I give up!! I am also Diabetic but my coffee is my only NOT AN OPTION!! lol

IT IS THE WIND BENEATH MY WINGS NOW!! hehe
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Me, too! I've already given up so many things I love - but I just can't give up my coffee! I just read an article today about green coffee beans - may be better for us than grean tea! Has anyone else heard about this?
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone, thanks to zipp032 for the invite.

I love my morning coffee, and was determined to find a way to fit into my new lifestyle. I like to experiment with the different coffee flavors and measure out my 1 TBSP of whatever flavored creamer was on sale this week. I also use it as 35-40 calorie treat in the summer – brew 1 cup of flavored coffee, 1 TBSP of creamer and throw it in the blender with ice or pour it over crushed ice. And finally, I have found the Non Fat Sugar Free Vanilla Latte’s from McDonalds to be pretty tasty, they run between 80-110 calories.
    Now I want more coffee…
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    A good coffee doesn't need anthing added to it *wink* I was into TJ's New Orleans style w/ chicory recently, but after coming back from vacation, I forgot I had no coffee left, and it was either buy whatever was available or somebody died (that, being the bf because he would be what is around morningoclock), so I ended up with 8 o'clock French Roast... not great, but can still be tolerable plain. I don't recall what my parents buy, but it definatly needs flavored creamer and sugar!
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't compromise on my coffee - I have it how I like it, when I want it.
  • lifelessmind
    lifelessmind Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've cut waaay back on how often I drink sugary coffee concoctions (I only have a white chocolate mocha once every couple weeks now), but I refuse to give up my morning cup of coffee with milk and sugar. Those calories are WORTH IT.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Morning Joe is a beautiful thing.:drinker:
  • mdawnt11
    mdawnt11 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm trying to kick my high calorie (and expensive!) Starbuck's habit. It does't help there's one in my office building.... :ohwell:

Some days, it's worth the calories!
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love my quality flavored coffee, since being diagnosed with Diabetes I've cut down but will not cut it out. I have mine with a little sugar and no milk once or twice a day :drinker:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This post confuses me. The title says good coffee, but the content talks about flavorings and sugar. Weird. When you have good coffee, you don't need to add anything. That will only take away from the goodness.
  • pinkgrandmaof8
    pinkgrandmaof8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Coffee is personal and I don't let anything tread in my personal space! Have YOUR coffee the way YOU love it! I just count the calories in my daily count of 1,200 and I have no trouble with that.
    Note: I really am a nice person...just leave MY coffee alone.:drinker:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Glad you're not giving up on the coffee! Coffee is GOOD!!!
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Simply NOT giving up my coffee. I usually have 1 or 2 travel mugs a day, no creamers and occasionally 1tblsp raw sugar and that's it. Don't touch my coffee and nobody gets hurt. After that its water the rest of the day.
  • alcianblue
    Options
    Coffee is the only thing I decided NOT to quit when I started this diet 4 months ago. 2 cups everyday with 4 tsp of sugar in total. I am on a really strict diet and think I would die without coffee! (Well, I know I wouldn't die and I guess I can live without coffee, but I do not even want to try :p!!!)