water retention

Options
amea412
amea412 Posts: 15 Member
At the beginning of my journey I weighed 360, I am down to 324 and this past week have been standing and walking around A LOT more than usual. I have been fighting clinical depression after a family tragedy and gained over 100 lbs due to emotional eating and the more weight I gained and the more depressed I became the more I just sat/laid around. My question is, is it normal for someone extremely overweight to have water retention in their ankles/legs when they begin being more active? I have never retained fluid before. It's not getting worse but it isn't going away either. I noticed this yesterday.
Thanks!

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If previously you kept your feet up a lot, then I can see how suddenly standing/walking more would give you swelling. Standing tends to increase the swelling, but walking should help your body pump the water back up out of your legs better. Don't give up moving! I tend to wear lace-ups to keep it out of my feet, because that hurts and ends up with me not wanting to move again :(
    If the swelling gets hot, or the skin gets flaky, I'd take it to a doctor to check for infection.
  • amea412
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Swelling in the lower part of my legs, ankles, and feet happens when I eat too many salty foods. There is also some swelling if I am on my feet for longer than 15 to 20 minutes.

Try to eliminate more sodium from your diet and you may want to try compression stalkings when you are up on your feet.
    I have to use them sometimes and they do help.
  • amea412
    Options
    Great suggestion strongheart! Thank you!
  • Journeygirl
    Journeygirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been back on MFP after a long absence. I have been diligently watching my calories and exercising almost everyday. My weight jumped up 8 lbs over a few days. It's 2 weeks before my period. Does anyone else retain this much water with PMS? It's freaking me out and I'm trying hard not to be discouraged.
  • KittenKittyKitteh
    KittenKittyKitteh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the PMS part but I can feel myself retaining water randomly. Last week I went up 5lbs on Friday and it was gone by Sunday. I drank a bunch of water and took my water pill on an empty stomach. Yesterday I drank my first diet soda in a week and I went up a pound. Are you drinking soda?
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I regularly gain 10-15 pounds during the week prior to my period. I have included sodium as a category on my food log so I can see how much I am taking in. I try to shoot for around 1200-1500mg a day, although it is extremely tough.

I have eliminated soda and artificial sweeteners as of August 1 and notice a massive difference in my swelling and pain levels. I used to drink a lot of artificial sweeteners. Now when my muscles hurt it is from exercise, not fibromyalgia.

I still have a long way to go, but I am hoping that I can keep up the progress.