Heart Meds and Exercise

Options
When a person with heart disease is on Ace Inhibitors and Altace you have to have "Patience" because it takes forever to lose weight, even with a well balanced meal plan and exercise, but it will come off....slowly but surely....has to be a daily priority, and some people don't have the luxury of having the time to plan meals, and squeeze a workout in :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Replies

• solarchime
    solarchime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am new to an ACE inhibitor. Just put on one a week ago. Am also on a Beta blocker and a channel blocker. I had open heart surgery in June of 2010 for an ascending aortic aneurysym. I have a bicuspid aortic valve and will have valve surgery in about 8 years. They told me 10 at the time of my aortic surgery. I am hoping to put it off as long as possible. Trying to lose at least 45 lbs. through exercise and dieting. Not an easy task.
    :smile:
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Patience and best luck to u guys. It's tough--hang in there--try not to be afraid. Care for urselves.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    well, i also second the idea to have hope.
    A person can lose weight in a COMA,
    if the tubefeed is not enough calories.
    EVEN if the person is on meds of all types.

Losing weight is about calories,
    but, exercise is key to staying or becoming healthy.

I don't think planning out healthier meals takes any longer than planning out fat-laden meals.
    Me, i think the bulk of the dietary changes happen IN the grocery store. I just do not buy crappy food, "stay around edges of the store" for the most part, not in the aisles of processed foods.
    For *me*,
    it's easier to resist the crappy foods once a week in the store,
    than it is to resist the crappy foods every 20 minutes in my own kitchen.

Doesn't take any longer to grab a basketful of fruits and veggies,
    than it does to fill your cart with boxed macaroni and cheese.

Making a salad doesn't take any longer,
    than making a pot roast with gravy.
    Eating RAW fruits and veggies, maybe with some hummus for the veggies, is pretty darn quick meal!!!!!!! and low cost, too!
    The more often you eat THAT way,
    the more appealing eating healthy will become to you.

It's stunning how much more time we have, if we turn off the tv set. If you say you have no time to do even a short quickie exercise, try logging how many hours per week you watch tv, mayyyyyybe you could cut out a bit of that, if you truly DO want to move around more.
    Exercise does not have to be a time consuming thing. Even ten minutes per day is a good start.
    Even just stretching and moving during commercials, could begin to help you feel stronger again.

Even walking around the block, or farther, as you get stronger, is good for you.

but anyone can eat less calories to lose weight, no matter what drugs they are on.
    Less than 1% of people on Altace report weight gain, btw. It might be you are eating too many calories to lose weight??
    DO LOG ALLLLLLLLLL YOUR CALORIES in your food diary,----every liquid, every condiment, every snack,
    even just doing that, is helping me develop new habits, and helping me focus more on staying UNDER my calorie goal for the day.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    to help remind myself to exercise,
    i am setting a buzzer to go off every 30 or 45 minutes.

even if it's only for five or ten minutes of stretching, or marching in place, or a walk,
    (lol, for ME, that is "exercise" at this point, lol!) Maybe in the future, i can do 'real' exercise, too, who knows.

Pilates is a nice form of exercise, even for those with heart disorders. Worth a google, there are free youtube videos, as well.
  • DairByNature
    DairByNature Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i was born with a congenitatl heart diseae, i have to have my pulmary valvue replased every 10 to 12 years & l got taken off my hart medication ew years agoow, but im slowly getting worse & im finding even without medication im struggleing to loose weigh, so in a wai know exacally what your going through, but im till trying to motivate myselfeven tho its getting harde & harder every week !! :heart: :wink:
  • urbliss777
    urbliss777 Posts: 48
    Options
    I was born with heart disease as well. I am not over weight, I have always been thin. But i used to eat SO bad until a few months ago. I am super scared that I will die when I am 40 b/c I already have heart disease and I ate so bad for over 15 years... :S I am on a few heart meds but they don't seems to effect my weight. I used to box, did it for 5 years. I was decently fit... I was more so like someone with asthma. I stopped boxing and I am not as fit as I used to be. I just do cardio for 30mins (machines). I would like to eventually be able to run for 10 mins without being exhausted.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    Options
    Hi urbliss777,

There were so many heart websites that hadn't had any posts in a year. So some of us set up a group called "Cardiac Support Buddies" if your interested. Also, "Heart Happenings" has fairly current posts. I think you're on that one already?

Paula
  • urbliss777
    Options
    Thank you! I will add them right now ! :)