Trigger foods and how do you handle cravings?

Options
What are your trigger foods that can get you into trouble? What do you do to handle the cravings?

Replies

• AinsliePeyton
    Options
    Chips. I'm a salty snack person. I handle them by substituting baked or lower-calorie chips and sticking strictly to the serving size. I'll allow myself a little of everything - if I feel like i'm being punished or "not allowed" to have something, it gets me off track and into a bad mental state. I'd rather have a little and work it off and not feel like i'm missing out.
    As far as it being a trigger - I don't keep snacky things i like in the house like that. My snack options in the house are pretty much fresh fruit, yogurt, and sugar-free pudding. If I want chips, I have to make a special effort to go out and get them....and my lazy side has a huge benefit there. I just don't wanna get dressed for chips, lol! If I do make the effort to get them, I only buy a small one-portion bag. when they're gone, they're gone.
  • magnoliafly
    Options
    Bree - I'm slowly getting the bad food out of the house. Not much left now though most of it seems to be high in carbs. I know how it is not wanting to get dressed to go get something you crave!

I'm a sweets person and a complete emotional eater. Always feel like if I have a bad day I "deserve" to have a cupcake or ice cream. I think that's been the hardest thing for me to cut back on.

Eating a lot of protein and veggies at dinner has helped my sweets craving though. Still working on it. Day by day!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Katie for me it is any kind of snack, chips or cookies. Just try to keep them out of the house. Living with the cookie monster doesn't make it easy. :wink:
  • AinsliePeyton
    Options
    Ice cream, I started buying sherbert because it's only 110 calories for a half cup instead of 170+ like regular ice cream! It's sweet enough for me usually - and if I'm having a really bad day emotionally, I stick a smidge of chocolate syrup on top. It's like eating one of those chocolate oranges that come out at christmas time!
    I use a measuring cup to eat out of, lol. and boy, do i pack it in there! I squish down as much as possible into the measuring cup and get my FULL serving, lol!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    And for me it is some kind of popsicle...they have so many varietes. This week I bought two -coconut and blueberry. And Smart Ones frozen dessert , the little individual portions are really yummy.
  • magnoliafly
    Options
    Ice cream, I started buying sherbert because it's only 110 calories for a half cup instead of 170+ like regular ice cream! It's sweet enough for me usually - and if I'm having a really bad day emotionally, I stick a smidge of chocolate syrup on top. It's like eating one of those chocolate oranges that come out at christmas time!
    I use a measuring cup to eat out of, lol. and boy, do i pack it in there! I squish down as much as possible into the measuring cup and get my FULL serving, lol!

I'll have to try that! I had a bad week. Ate like three chocolate chip cookies and bread I wasn't planning on eating. :/
  • AinsliePeyton
    Options
    I almost bought some of those smart ones desserts today and don't know why I put it back... i'll have to try it soon!
    Katie, on days I accidently go over, I really try to make it up by working out. Getting my body moving just a little - even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood at night. I have a clip of mace attached to my watch so I feel more comfortable going out and about in the dark, but even if you dont want to go out, there are a lot of exercises you can do at home! i've found a few living room workouts on pinterest. So even when I have those days - and lord knows i do - I can make up for those irresistable cookies!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I've cut out most sugar and carby things--rice, most flour (I have an occasional low carb tortilla, and have some low-carb baking mix I am going to try) and that has taken care of most of my binge eating. I can have even some treats in the house for my nephews without getting into them, cravings gone!