Synthroid

Options
I was diagnosed in January 2012 and have been taking Synthroid since. I needed to lose 40 pounds prior to being diagnosed. However, since being on medication I have gained 10 pounds. I actually started watching my calorie intake and diet and exercising more since being diagnosed so I am very confused and frustrated with the weight gain. Could it be the medication?

Replies

• ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I can see how that would be frustrating. I can't remember if I experienced any increases when I first started (it was years ago) but it's a good question to ask your Dr.
  • sandvik38
    sandvik38 Posts: 12
    Options
    i had the same problem you could have your dr test your iron and vitamin d even if on doens work it can impact your loss i started to loose and i wasnt even trying when i started taking all 3. last week was my first week really trying and i dropped 7 best of luck hope it helps
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid for years and i don't believe it makes you gain weight.The Thyroid disease before being diagnosed,will make you gain a ton of weight.I gained 38 lbs in 1 year before realizing i was sick.
  • lovemybooks
    Options
    It is encouraging to read that other Thyroid sufferers have managed to loose weight. I have been on synthroid for about 5 or 6 years. I went to the doctor because I could not stay awake. My weight gain I thought was because I had stopped smoking (which I know played a big part in the weight gain) Since then I have struggled to loose 10 pounds and then put it back on again and more!! Now I am determined. No south beach diet or anything like that, just checking back on my calories and I cycle 9 miles each day (lenght of 2 runs on the boardwalk equals 9 miles) and I had been exercising every other day but I think maybe I will exercise every day. In the meantime I am searching the web for information to get ones metabolism going and yet avoid hot n spicey foods!