Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred

Options
This program is frequently mentioned in the forums so I figured I would pick up a copy and see what all the fuss was about. I bought my copy at Chapters for something like 12.99 last Tuesday and popped it in the XBOX 360 when I got home.
Although I contemplated started from Level 2, I figured I would first see what Level 1 was all about.
27 odd minutes later I was a sweaty, panting mess.
I am now on Day 6 of Level 1 and almost to a point where I can do the whole thing through without modifications or breaks :)
My plan is to run through the first 30 days using 2.5 lb weights and then start a second go of it using 5lb weights.
So far (despite the pain!) I feel great!
I'm not the type to do strength training at the gym so this is a great solution for me :)
Would highly recommend it to those on the fence about it (You can also find the videos on Youtube) and would love to add or be added by anybody currently doing the shred/planning to do the shred in the near future. :)

Replies

• freyamaclachlan
    Options
    Hi, I just finished day 7 !!!! How are you finding it so far ?
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am on level 2, day 18. I took a few days break because my knee and ankle were in quite a bit of pain, but I got back on the wagon today!! I've lost about 8 inches doing it so far---but have a 4 pound weight gain that hasn't dropped yet! Excited to get to level 3 now, level 2 has been my enemy since starting :)
  • AngelChini
    AngelChini Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just started today, and I am doing it right now! I hope I can finish all three levels in 30 days.(:
  • Suaso
    Suaso Posts: 48
    Options
    Day three I was excruciatingly stiff.
    It's gotten better since then.
    I've noticed after each session my calves are tighter than..something really tight..(Yes, I am indeed an English Lit major) so I add calf stretches into the cooldown.
    I haven't taken any measurements, but I plan to take a before, during, and after photo :)
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I completed the dvd in the middle of February. I'll see if I can post the link.
  • Suaso
    Options
    @1RareJewel

I definitely see a difference in your before and after pictures.
    i would probably attribute the gained weight to muscle because you look tighter and more toned :)
  • Blue_Mint
    Blue_Mint Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 8 of part 1. Like you, I was so stiff after day 3, but after day 5, all the soreness went away. Part 1 looks easy at first glance, but I was a sweaty mess 10 minutes in. What I like about this workout is that the moves themselves are pretty simple, meaning they don't require a dance background and can be done by anybody! So far, I'm toning up all over and my endurance is improving. I would encourage anyone to do this workout. It's only ~20 minutes of your day. That's the equivalent of one less 1/2 hour sitcom per day for me. When you don't feel like doing it, just do it and you will be so happy you did! Good luck everyone!
  • freyamaclachlan
    Options
    Has everyone been taking the a days rest while doing this? I havent so far and was just wondering whether it would be a good idea to, or should i stick with it for the full 30 days ?
  • Suaso
    Options
    I haven't taken a rest day yet. I'm aiming to do the full 30 days without rest.
    I figured it's only 20 minutes a day so I might as well. :)
    Listen to your body though. If you feel like you need a rest day take a rest day.
  • Synryo
    Synryo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know approximately how many calories this burns? How do you all add it to your exercise log? I couldn't find anything relating to it in the database, and there are so many different exercises in it I couldnt possibly try to calculate them all.

Thanks
  • freyamaclachlan
    Options
    According to my watch I burnt 250 but I wasnt really trying particularly hard the day i measured it, but I cant imagine it getting much higher than that, it all depends on the person too. I add it in as cardio and label it as a circuit training
  • freyamaclachlan
    Options
    I took a rest day yesterday but I felt so lazy doing nothing so I tried Jillian's Yoga meltdown thinking it would be relaxed and not that hard. Oh how wrong I was hahahah.
  • Synryo
    Synryo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    okay, thank you. whats your weight/age? I think that factors in
  • Suaso
    Options
    I log it as circuit training and give myself 195 calories for it.
    I figured that was high enough to be close to accurate and low enough that I'm not overestimating.
  • Suaso
    Options
    Just completed L1D10!
    Tomorrow I start L2! :)
    Best of luck to all you shredders!
  • Blue_Mint
    Blue_Mint Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Me too! I just completed level one day 10 yesterday and started level 2 today. Level 2 definitely worked the arms and abs a bit more for me.
  • freyamaclachlan
    Options
    I started level 2 today too, my arms were dead by the end.
  • mesee619
    mesee619 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just ordered it from Amazon! Am ready to get started.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just bought it. I am going out of town for a wedding and will start when I get back. Wish me luck.