Week 2 - 8/6-8/12

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Welcome to the second week of the Couch to 5K - congratulations on making it through Week 1! To some of us it was easy, to some of it was hard, and to some of us it was -just- right. Wherever you fell along the spectrum - whether you were the fastest or the slowest - take a minute to congratulate yourself on just getting through the week. It was an accomplishment in and of itself!

This week it gets tougher, and when we go into our first 90 second run, it's a good time to turn off our focus on what we're doing and remember -why- we're doing this. Whether your motivation is to lose weight, or run a 5K in support of a good cause - remind yourself that no matter how hard it seems now, you can dig just a little bit deeper - because when you cross the finish line in 8 weeks, it's going to feel amazing.

This week, the workout is:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

This workout should be done 3x this week. Check in on this thread as you go through the week - let's hear how you're doing!

Replies

• ktb1962
    ktb1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Week 2/Day 1 Complete! I need to learn to pace myself better. In the 25 min I managed to log 2 miles, but I was really huffing and puffing at the end. I started out great, but as the intervals went on, I noticed I was getting slower and slower. It's also very humid here which I'm sure plays a part. Regardless, it's done and I survived! :laugh:

Happy Running and Good Luck to All today!

Kate
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Doing my w2d1 tomorrow!!! Good luck everyone!
  • Morenita1976
    Options
    Week on was completed successfully!!! Now on to week 2! We can do this!!!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Finished w2d1 this morning. I cannot believe how much longer 90 seconds feels than 60 seconds! Near the end I felt like I was really getting in a rhythm though and am looking forward to day 2! Good luck everyone!!
  • LoNCole
    LoNCole Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Made it thru W2D1! It felt pretty good!
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree that 90 seconds seemed much longer than 60 seconds. But I did it, and that felt great. My partner/ daughter came down with an unrelated illness so I hope she gets back into it.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Doing Tu/Th/Sat again this week. Got in a 2 mile walk this morning and will tackle W2D1 tomorrow.
  • ladasade
    ladasade Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got through W2D1 today and very excited. I was still struggling a bit at the end of each session last week so I wasn't sure how I'd do with W2. The runs after the half way mark are still hard and I'm running super slow, but I made it and I'm so proud of myself!

It totally helps having the rest of you for motivation/support.
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good luck everybody. I need to repeat week 6. Many of you may catch up to me. I need this focus so I'm sticking with it and following everyone's progress.

Everyone is doing so well!! Keep it up. Keep smiling - dont look back - keep going forward.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Just completed Week 3 Day 1. I think it will be a little easier when it is not so hot outside...28 degrees celcius right now.
  • dsengel01
    dsengel01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I attempted Week 2 Run 1 Sunday night - made it to just about the 1/2 way mark and pulled something (thinking my achilles). Still a bit painful when I make the trek from the parking lot to my office and going down stairs. Thinking I'm taking a few more days off and will have to start Week 2 again.
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    Good luck everybody. I need to repeat week 6. Many of you may catch up to me. I need this focus so I'm sticking with it and following everyone's progress.

Everyone is doing so well!! Keep it up. Keep smiling - dont look back - keep going forward.

I'm on week 4 again myself (I think this is like my 5th time - LOL.) I know this group will catch up to me. But everytime I do this workout, I feel just a little bit stronger. I too enjoy the group and following everyone's progress.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    W2D1 this morning. Crazy how much longer than extra 30 seconds feels. Did fine until the last two intervals and had to cut them short by about 15 seconds each. I'm going to keep plugging away though with W2. May need to repeat next week.
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options

I'm on week 4 again myself (I think this is like my 5th time - LOL.) I know this group will catch up to me. But everytime I do this workout, I feel just a little bit stronger. I too enjoy the group and following everyone's progress.

Lets do this : ) -- just finished week6 day2 again!!! so next is that darn 22 minute run that i just cant seem to get past : 0 -- I'm going to get there. And, cant agree more - i feel just a little stronger.
  • AngelP74
    Options
    So, I did week one on a treadmill and it was mostly fun and I did good with some hard work. Week 2, days 1 and 2, I did outside on a track. OMG... it takes so many more muscles and so much more energy to propel yourself forward! After yesterday's run (W2D2), I was really contemplating quitting the whole thing. I wasn't able to do the last 30 seconds of the last run and I was miserable throughout the whole thing. My program is on my iphone and has you run 45, walk 60, run 60, walk 90, run 90, walk 2 minutes, and then repeat all of that 3 times.

I'm kind of wondering if maybe I'm just not cut out for this running thing. Maybe running on a treadmill... but not on a track, but that doesn't help me with the 5K I'm signed up for in October. Bummed!
  • artsykris
    Options
    w2d1finished - not as bad as I thought. I even did an extra 13 minutes.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Completed W2D2 today! It felt a bit easier than Monday, but still definitely not easy. I think I might do an extra run on Saturday just to make the transition to week 3 smoother. Good luck everyone! You're all doing great!

AngelP, it IS a lot more difficult to run outdoors than it is to run on a treadmill. Maybe try starting W1D1 outdoors again? Your program sounds a bit different than mine--I'm not sure which would work better for you, but I use active.com's app and W2D2 is 5 min warm up walk, alternate 1.5 minutes jogging and 2 minutes walking for a total of 21 minutes, 5 min cool down walk. If that sounds better to you, you should try it! It does cost $1.99, but that doesn't seem too bad to me. I think you can do it!!
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    So, I did week one on a treadmill and it was mostly fun and I did good with some hard work. Week 2, days 1 and 2, I did outside on a track. OMG... it takes so many more muscles and so much more energy to propel yourself forward! After yesterday's run (W2D2), I was really contemplating quitting the whole thing. I wasn't able to do the last 30 seconds of the last run and I was miserable throughout the whole thing. My program is on my iphone and has you run 45, walk 60, run 60, walk 90, run 90, walk 2 minutes, and then repeat all of that 3 times.

I'm kind of wondering if maybe I'm just not cut out for this running thing. Maybe running on a treadmill... but not on a track, but that doesn't help me with the 5K I'm signed up for in October. Bummed!

Hang in there. It may just be that you need to repeat the week. I can also tell a major difference between working out on the treadmill vs. outside. I prefer outside because I don't get so obsessed with my speed, but it does work your muscles a little differently than the treadmill. Plus, not as much cushioning on pavement/track as on treadmill. Don't give up. Just give yourself a breather.

Also, I think your program is a little different than the regular C25K. My program for W2 has me alternate 90 seconds of jogging with 2 minutes of walking. Ends up being a total of 9 minutes running, only one minute more than last week.

I am struggling with getting the last few seconds of jogging in with each interval and will probably repeat W2 myself.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Completed W2D2 today! It felt a bit easier than Monday, but still definitely not easy. I think I might do an extra run on Saturday just to make the transition to week 3 smoother. Good luck everyone! You're all doing great!

Bridget - I wouldn't recommend doing an extra run just yet. It's very easy to overtrain when you first start running. Maybe try a walk or some cross-training instead. Sounds like you're doing great!
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Completed week 2, day 2! Plus jogged a few more longer intervals a 3 min and a 2 min. Just to see if was going to be able to handle week 3... :-)