comic books / mangas for kids

Options
lacroyx
lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
Old MMORPG friend has a 5 yr old girl digging comics. She recently read Avatar Last Air Bender and is wanting more. She likes Spiderman. I suggested "Spiderman loves Mary Jane" but after that I am having a hard time thinking of other age appropriate series. Squids! Help!

Replies

• LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My first inclination is to suggest One Piece because I love the series and some friends of mine have raised their children on it. However, I know that some people may object to it because there is some violence and whatnot.

Fruits Basket wouldn't be a bad choice. I have only seen the anime, but I am under the impression that the manga follows that fairly closely. I can't think of anything horrible in that series.

Other good options would be:

ChocoMimi
    Happy Happy Clover
    Yotsuba&!
    The Big Adventures of Majoko
  • luluzombie
    Options
    I always liked Gakuen Alice which is about a school for children with special powers (sound familiar....?) which are known as 'Alice's' in the manga, it's listed as suitable for all ages and contains lots of boarding school high-jinks and morals such as everyone is special etc. etc. What made it a favourite for me was the special powers the kids have such as bringing stuffed toys to life!
    LuLu x
  • kjcoul01
    kjcoul01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you go to Crunchy Roll and look over the amime that is there. You can scan through it and pick out a manga that she may like. The other thing you have to think about is her reading level as well as the level of violence in each manga. I would recommend the following:
    Yotsuba&!
    Dinosaur Hour
    Pokemon Adventures (it's a classic...)
    Fairy Idol Kanon
    Happy Happy Clover
    Cardcaptors
    Chi's Sweet Home

Have fun...and be sure to read them with her! I actually like several of them (Yotsuba is really cute).
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to pass them on.