Hairy Dieters

Options
Vailara
Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
I'm watching this on Iplayer. It's the Hairy Bikers, but trying to lose weight. One of them put on weight as he got older, and the other had always been big (it was so sad when he told the story about the whole school being told not to give him food as he was on a diet). It looks like they'd been eating good food, but too much of it! I've only watched some of the first episode, but I suspect they're going to concentrate on portion size as that seemed to be the main area where they were going wrong from what I could see (slabs of bread, humungous bowls of muesli). I hope they don't do low fat (I'm not a fan)! And I hope that watching it doesn't make me hungry!

Replies

• gerdabolton
    gerdabolton Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I watched the first episode, and before I saw that I heard them on the radio when they were being interviewed for their new book. I like the look of their food, and i guess it comes down to sensible eating (why does that sound so boring?!) and sensible portions.. :)

As the dietician they saw said: "Yes, a little of what you fancy does you good, but not everything you fancy and all day, every day!" Think she has that right (unfortunately! LOL!)
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Watched the first episode last week and then was wandering round the net looking for their lasagne recipe last night.

Didn't realise their book came out on the 02 Aug and ordered it off Amazon last night.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We love the Hair Bikers recipes - got a couple of their books - but they ARE high cal! High fat, high carb, creamy, buttery, bready yummyness:)

Watched the show last week and it looked really good - going to try the lasagne soon:)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I saw a bit of the end of it - must watch on the iplayer. The lasagna looked yum!
  • christopherpm
    christopherpm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I happen to be eating a portion of their Skinny Beef Lasagne right now! It's fab.... The recipe is on the BBC website already, and I've posted the link in the recipes secion of the board...
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    Saw Dave Myers in Tesco just this morning! It reminded me I recorded Hairy Dieters last week so need to watch it really. Didn't realise it was a series.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My curiosity is definitely piqued, am going to make a point of watching it later on iPlayer!!
  • CelticHippo
    CelticHippo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have always loved the Hairy Bikers and their food. Currently just watching the first episode of this as I recorded this on my Sky+ box, plus I got the book from Amazon. It looks like it is going to be inspiring and the recipes in the book look lovely,
  • ivory32
    ivory32 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do they tell you what the calories is? A friend is doing sliming world and she said that the recipe wouldn't work unless you tweaked a few things i.e. mainly the cheese. I suppose you just have to tweaked the recipe to fit in with your diet.

I definitely enjoyed the programme!
  • maria_b22
    Options
    I have sky + it and will watch it after all have been recorded. I am a fan of the hairy bikers and looking forward to watching it :o)
  • CelticHippo
    Options
    Do they tell you what the calories is? A friend is doing sliming world and she said that the recipe wouldn't work unless you tweaked a few things i.e. mainly the cheese. I suppose you just have to tweaked the recipe to fit in with your diet.

I definitely enjoyed the programme!

They did day in the program and they also have the calorie per serving in the book as well.
  • susuenglish
    susuenglish Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've just been looking through this book and there are some lovely things in it. Can't wait to start cooking (and eating) some of them
  • simples88
    Options
    I have the book...it has some nice recipes in and I can recommend the cheese and potato paties(231 cals) made them twice now for my lunches! The lamb spinach n potato curry, the steak n ale stew and the paprika chicken- I've been busy!
    This week I'm trying the cajun chicken and wedges tomorrow, plus Friday will be the massala chick that was on the programme last week!
  • CelticHippo
    Options
    I have the book...it has some nice recipes in and I can recommend the cheese and potato paties(231 cals) made them twice now for my lunches! The lamb spinach n potato curry, the steak n ale stew and the paprika chicken- I've been busy!
    This week I'm trying the cajun chicken and wedges tomorrow, plus Friday will be the massala chick that was on the programme last week!

So jealous, although the book is bought I have not tried any of the recipes yet as I am waiting for my husband (the cook, believe me I should never been allowed to cook at all) to look through, then we can get some into next months plan
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Going to have to put this on the iplayer, I missed it but some of the recipes you're all talking about sound interesting! :)
  • CelticHippo
    Options
    Just watching tonight and pies, they did pies.....these I have to try...

ohhh grrrlface have a look on the bbc website, some of the recipes should be on there as well as in the book
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that the Book Depository has their book on sale cheaply, so I ordered it.

The food looks good, the advice is great if you haven't ever thought of reducing the calories in food and the recipes are ones you'd want to eat - as you'd expect from them.

I am JUDDDing and have found that I can easily further adapt the recipes to suit both Up and Down Days, Down Days at below 300kcals a portion, so that is great.

I'm off looking for low kcal wraps tomorrow and I shall have a wonderful week's worth of lunches :)
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just bought this from The Book Club online for £4.99 + postage and it is great. Can't wait to try the pies - have not had a pie in years!
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Loving the show! I just got the ingredients for the cassoulet "posh casserole"
    Can't wait to have that for dinner...
    And the pies! Gosh those pies! i have certainly got to try!
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Caught it for first time last night and checked the recipes from previous weeks on BBC website. Pleased to see their curries/chilli etc was dry fried which is way I taught kids to do it for last 20 years, I also add veggies (ask my OH about carrots in everything LOL) and would not have added the double cream rather yog- the pie crust idea I had not thought of though but we rarely have pies.

I am going to try the fairy/cake muffins for visitors at weekend without the icing though as OH Type 2 diabetic. I often use yoghurt in scones with reduced fat benecol (plain or apricot works well) having done loads of experiments with yr7 on these over the years.

Please share any other ideas you may have- experimenting is fun!!!