What geeky hobbies help you to get through the blah moments?

Options
CarlaSol90
CarlaSol90 Posts: 14 Member
I'm feeling really blah at the moment. Generally thinking I'm unwanted and just kind of sad, so I'm thinking of ways how to distract myself. Watch The IT Crowd all over again? Play GTA San Andreas? What things do you guys to to get over the blahs?

Replies

• VinVenture
    VinVenture Posts: 290
    Options
    IT Crowd, Black Books is also a good one, videogames are great. A good book and a cup of tea is also one of my favourites.

Although currently I'm on watching TV series and knitting.

Also, you're not unwanted, personally I find it incredibly refreshing to see literate people who write entertainingly.

Or, if you haven't yet, try Dr. Who. Very interesting and the new Doctor is incredibly cheerful.
  • cartwoman
    Options
    I tend to loose myself in games on the pc or ps3. There are times when I'll pick up my sketching pad and start some doodles while watching cartoons like the Justice League or I'll watch tv-series like Dr. Who.

As VinVenture said: a cup of tea and a good book also do the trick. Try to get your mind of it and find something you enjoy doing. Something that makes you happy. Even if it's watching catvideo's on youtube ;) *big hug*
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I dig out my Babylon 5 DVDs and watch them. Contemplating the destruction of the galaxy makes my own little issues pale in comparison.
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I draw something, read a book, play "Monkey Island" (for the billionth time), watch a good series (well I say good, I like Heroes/Buffy etc) or just vedge in the bath with a cuppa :)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I read, or play a game. My current gaming obsessions are Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and The Sims 3 for Mac. Sometimes I even sew something. I made a super-comfy skirt the other day from one of my husband's old t-shirts.
  • thunderchld
    thunderchld Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I will sew a costume, or bake something and give it away. Or I will paint my miniatures.
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I crochet geeky things and watch silly TV shows on Netflix.

I also like jumping into silly games like Katamari Damacy or Professor Layton. If it's a particularly bad day, I go for more KILL ALL THE THINGS games like Diablo or Skyrim.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I tend to like things that keep my hands busy, so reading a book with a cuppa gets my vote. Especially if I can find a good series of books to get into. I'm currently on the second of The Greg Mandel series by Peter F Hamilton. Alternatively an immersive game works quite well. I got stuck into Minecraft but building a village and temple broke me somewhat and I haven't been back on much since.

People said drawing which I enjoy but I can't be stressed going into a drawing as it makes me more stressed if it won't go right!
  • SabrinaSt
    SabrinaSt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Video games and fantasy books
  • poshcouture
    Options
    Video games, Chicago museums, bake!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Reading -- fantasy, urban fantasy, and paranormal romance
    Cross stitching -- mostly fantasy themes
    MMOs -- SWTOR, Diablo III, used to play City of Heroes
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Videogames are like booze to me. Gets my mind off things.. except much more entertaining! But they need to be RPGs or they don't hold my interest long enough. Or reading, since RPGs are basically interactive books lol.
    Or, if you haven't yet, try Dr. Who. Very interesting and the new Doctor is incredibly cheerful.

Where does one begin with this series?
    I dig out my Babylon 5 DVDs and watch them. Contemplating the destruction of the galaxy makes my own little issues pale in comparison.

I love Babylon 5!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I put on music and go for a walk.

I know, I know, not that geeky (other than music geeky). But getting outside and moving around is much more likely to kick depression than sitting in a dark room. I'm not saying that doesn't work for some, but going outside is better for me.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing = non geeky
    Shadow boxing saying snickety snick pretending you're Wolverine shredding up the Skrull = geeky
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I draw on my walls.

I make paper airplanes.

I do cartwheels all over the park.

jigsaw puzzles (esp 3D ones)

memorize the answers to Trivial Pursuit

invent recipes like a mofo all night

play drinking games while watching BSG, Supernatural and Lost.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Definitely try to get out and get some fresh air first - ride my bike (yes sometimes I listen to video game music or pretend I'm in my own version of ExciteBike)

Then crash on the sofa and watch part of whatever TV series I'm into on Netflix (just finished Burn Notice and In Plain Site) or pick up whatever video game I can tune out to. Sometimes it's just fun to run around shooting people .. hehe
  • kitchenpenguin
    kitchenpenguin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I stress bake. My college roommates always knew when I had a paper due the next day because they'd wake up to loaves of bread, cookies, cakes, and muffins. I also like to embroider, spin, weave, or naalbind because they give me instant gratification and it's something to do with my hands while I watch things on Netflix or my collection of Good Eats DVDs. Have you seen Spaced? Simon Pegg is brilliant.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    cooking, video games, lots of netflix/hulu tv shows, knitting and crocheting, making art out of melty crayons, reading, going for a walk/exercise dvd, or even just napping.

making jewelry is something i want to learn next.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

Where does one begin with this series?

the newer eps start with chris eccleston on netflix in 2005. it will say season 1. there is 6 total.
    watch it, watch it now. i've seen every episode at least 10 times. my kids are even obsessed, haha.

there is some older eps on netflix too, but not sequential.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I stress bake. My college roommates always knew when I had a paper due the next day because they'd wake up to loaves of bread, cookies, cakes, and muffins. I also like to embroider, spin, weave, or naalbind because they give me instant gratification and it's something to do with my hands while I watch things on Netflix or my collection of Good Eats DVDs. Have you seen Spaced? Simon Pegg is brilliant.

Ooh, another stress baker! My house always smells amazing when I'm stressed :tongue: I also clean. Not geeky, except I usually have Star Trek TNG or Doctor Who on in the background.