Hi from a new kid :)

Options
Hello, everyone! Just joined. I'm getting ready to start Choose to Lose tomorrow. I'm hoping it will get me out of the plateau I've been unable to break out of for the last several months after losing 20 lbs on low-carb diets. It's hard to find diet buddies in it for the long haul, so I thought I'd try a support group. I'm so glad to find this one! Anyway, thanks for being here - I look forward to getting to know you! Good luck with your goals :)

Replies

• socalbabe81
    socalbabe81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm new also! I just got my book in the mail so I'm gonna start it soon, I am moving this weekend, and just need to start reading it and figure out how it works and what I need to do! Have you started? I'm excited :) I have been at a plateau, and need to loose about 20 or so to be content with my weight. Once I get there, I may set a new goal, who knows. :)
  • imjuzsayin
    Options
    Hi!! I also am just starting "Choose to Lose"!! Excited to get started and have some other newbies on board!! Best of luck to you!! Whooohoooo!!!!! :D
  • amyrosner
    amyrosner Posts: 13
    Options
    Woot!! I'm excited to have Choose to Lose buddies!!! I started last week but have been very bad due to situational viariables that I have to get a handle on starting tomorrow. Uggh!! :\
  • socalbabe81
    socalbabe81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started reading the book today, didn't get very far, but I'm sure it will be inspiring. I haven't gotten to the part about how the program works yet, still reading about his life and such. I am excited to hear about how we all do :) yay us!
  • luis1984
    luis1984 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im new as well, although have been on the program for two weeks. It is weird because the first week I lost 4lbs and yesterday's weight in I only lost half pound? weird... Anyways I remember in the book Chris talks about how smetimes your body can't catch up with your weight and it delays it but once your body does the necessary adjustments the weight will be falling off. I wish I had taking measurements so I would know if I lost more inches. I am looking foward to hear everybody's progress and hopefully we can all give each other tips and find solutions if we encounter obstacles in this journey!!:smile: How did everyone do on this weeks weight in?
  • amyrosner
    Options
    Wow, it sounds like you are all doing well!! More power to ya! :)

I've had company this past week and they've been taking me out to eat all the time, so I've totally broken my diet. They leave tonight, so I'll be back to my routine tomorrow.

I've found the scale to be a less meaningful measure of fat loss than the tape measure. Muscle will trip you up if you use a scale, because it weighs 5 times as much as fat, so it's easy to get fit while not seeing much movement on the scale. Our bodies also tend to see-saw, losing weight for a bit then losing inches for a bit then weight again, etc. I don't know why, but it tends to happen on all diets, so don't worry if you're doing everything right but not losing the same amount of weight every week. Take out the tape measure so you can see progress one way or the other and feel good about what you've accomplished that week! :)

I've read Chris's book and keep going back to reread various parts to make sure I understand all of the nuances completely. I have my low-carb and high-carb meals and snacks prepared and in the freezer, ready to heat up or toss in my insulated lunch bag for a day at work. So I'll hit the ground running tomorrow!
  • luis1984
    Options
    I completly hear you on that one. For some reason I read the book once but I constantly find myself going back to make sure I understand and dont mke any assumptions. I would use the tape measure but I dont think I know how to use it well. I guess for me the best way to know my progress is by the scale. I am starting week three and lets see what the scale says saturday!!!. I am scared of whats going to happen on week four cuz its all high carb days so I am guessing I will either gain some weight that week due to water retention or I might stay the same or even lose.

There is one part of the book where Chris writes about weeks one,two,three and four progress. It says on week two if you dont notice losing weight or inches its due to recomposition and that some of his clients go through recomposition for the first four weeks. I was like ok but then I read week three progress and he kind of contradicts himself because it says that if you dont notice a weight drop the you should tweak the program and see what happens now the million dollar question is, why would he said on week two to give the diet about four weeks and then on week three he says tweak the program? weird.... I just just excited that carb cycling is not even a diet at least to me, it feels like a regular day except for the exercise....... more to come this saturday on week three weight in!!!
  • Sweetsys
    Sweetsys Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm new too. Been on here for about a month but got serious last week after starting the Choose to Lose book. Lost 5.2 the first week. Very happy. Starting week 2 today. A little worried about the cheat day yesterday.
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Still reading the book, but far enough into it to start today. Bought all the food I'll need for the week and prepped what I could. Key for me is to put together my lunch the night before otherwise I'll grab whatever is easiest or get take out. Never seems to be the best choices when I do that.

Not being too lazy to cook when I get home from work is a tough one for me too. I don't like to cook and I'm tired, so fast food is my usual dinner choice.
  • luis1984
    Options
    I think that if you are not up to cooking, then you should make your quick meals. I think as long as you know your calorie intake and know what you LC days consist of (protein, veggies, fats) and your HC days (protein, carbs, veggies). It is not so hard as you think. I go grocery shopping once a week and I stock my fridge with the approved foods usually fish, chicken breast and thighs, turkey burguers, ground chicken and ground turkey, brown rice, veggies, protein powder etc. I prepared my meals on the grill the day before and usually cook them enough for two days. Trust me once you get into the routine it will all work out for ya.
  • amyrosner
    Options
    I make my own meals, too. I cook on the weekends and put individual servings in containers in the freezer. Then I just take one out to put in my insulated lunch bag with my snacks, and when I get home from work I train and eat another meal. I have several different high-carb meals and low-carb meals so I don't get bored and tempted to eat out. I even make my own protein bars (more like cake) for healthy snacks. Once you get a system in place it gets to be second nature and not a big deal. You just have to experiment and find out what works for you.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Definitely gets easier. Just about to start week 2 =)
  • mntflower
    mntflower Posts: 13
    Options
    I read the book today and it looks like I'll be starting this weekend. I'm excited!!! I've tried several different programs including Weight Watchers. I just couldn't get motivated to follow the program and I always felt like I was hungry. I'm looking forward to this. It seems pretty straight forward. I'm not a huge cooker so to see fairly simple meals is a relief. I'm glad I found this group.
  • Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi Group, so glad to have found you here! I was just on MFP wondering how I am going to get myself together. I feel like I have been on every plan in the world but always fall right off! I've been pretty bad over the lst week and a half , pretty disgusted with myself, and was just considering chucking this program as just another diet I cannot or do not have enough discipline to do (pity party). So thanks for being on here and posting. Noting beats a failure but a try right?
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would use the tape measure but I dont think I know how to use it well.

I use the MyoTape, and I LOVE it! It makes self-measuring *so* much easier!
    I don't remember which site I bought it from, but here's a link for you to get an idea:
    http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT05-MyoTape-Body-Measure/dp/B000G7YW7Y
  • barneys4g
    Options
    Hi all! I just started the carb cycle solution on Friday. So far I feel like I am doing great! I am having a hard time meeting the calories though, I think I am way under but I haven't been calculating. Hopefully being back on here will help me calculate them a little better. I started on a Friday rather than Sunday because I was so excited I didn't want to wait any longer. I have tried so many diets that I fell off too quickly or just didnt like the results. So far I have stuck to this! I haven't taken a cheat meal or day yet. I have gone to 2 birthday parties and didn't eat any cake. I even made a cake and 36 cupcakes for my nieces party and didn't taste any frosting or eat any bite of cake! For me that's a big deal, I have a horrible sweet tooth. Even at a family bbq this weekend I packed my meal and brought it with me. This is the longest and best I have stuck with something. I have been getting up every morning and exercising. This isn't as hard as I expected it to be. I'm so glad to have found a group of people doing the same thing! Keep up the good work everyone!
  • amyrosner
    Options
    Way to go, barneys4g! You're off to an amazing start! Keep it up and I have no doubt you'll see amazing results! :)
  • alebean
    alebean Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everybody :D

I'm on day 2 of the diet now, and my family's been really annoyed that I've been hogging the kitchen, preparing all them meals :P
    Lets hope Saturday's weigh-in will be good :)

Good luck to everyone else on the program :)