New here and initited as support

Options
Regmama
Regmama Posts: 399 Member
Recently my husband has been noticing our nearly 2 year old having staring spells (he stays home with the kids). I was off last week and shocked at the fact that it seemed he had these every day, at least once per day. My mom waswith us for one of them and she said she really believes it to be petit mal seizures. So, I didn't sleep well that night searching all I could regarding the seizures until I could call the doctor's office to proceed. While researching it online and possible natural treatments, I came across the gluten connection. The next day we went to the store and bought some gluten free goodies, cereal and produce. Since I breastfeed and he doesn't show signs of wanting to wean, I told my husband that I must also go gluten free. I keep on researching and am wondering if the neuropathy I've had my whole life and my terrible eczema may also be related.

One thing is for sure, since changing my son's diet to gluten-free he is a completely different child. He no longer is cranky 75-90% of his waking hours. His vocabulary has boomed (he was talking before, but wow, overnight it seems he's doubled the words he can say). This is a whole new world and I would have never believed there could have been this dramatic of a change, I was just hoping it would stop the seizures until we get to a doctor.

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Excellent!

Yes, they are probably "absence seizures". The doctor will probably try to induce one by having him hyperventilate.

I don't know the effect generally of gluten on seizures; I do know that gluten can cause a lot of neurological symptoms. My son had a number of seizure-like episodes when he was younger, but was never diagnosed.

This is a really good book on seizures:

http://www.amazon.ca/Seizures-Epilepsy-Childhood-John-Freeman/dp/0801870518/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344365354&sr=1-9

As long as the seizures are not affecting your child's quality of life, it is best to stay away from anti seizures meds, as they can be very hard on the body. If it is affecting his learning or qualify of life, then of course that is a different story.

My son is really affected by dairy products, so you might want to watch that too. It really changes his behaviour and mood. I have run into others with the same problem.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks, This child actually will not drink milk, if he takes a sip of chocolate milk (he loves chocolate) he spits it out, so you may be onto something. After looking up how gluten affects the body, I am wondering if my other son may have issues with gluten too since his stools always float and he complains of bad stomach aches at least once per month. I think my husband and I will be trying the whole family on gluten free living. It's difficult to gauge illness in a one year old and three year old, but I think we may be onto something here.