What geeky hobbies help you to get through the blah moments?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Reading spec-fic or going to the gun range.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Or, if you haven't yet, try Dr. Who. Very interesting and the new Doctor is incredibly cheerful.

Where does one begin with this series?

the newer eps start with chris eccleston on netflix in 2005. it will say season 1. there is 6 total.
    watch it, watch it now. i've seen every episode at least 10 times. my kids are even obsessed, haha.

there is some older eps on netflix too, but not sequential.

I've always had it on my mental to-watch list, but it seemed so daunting. Thanks for giving me a starting point! I see stuff about it a~ll the time (especially on tumblr) and it looks too amazing for me to have put off this long.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    See now after watching Chris Eccleston in 28 Days Later - that series of Dr Who was never the same but then Alistair McCoy was always my fave, or Tom Baker :happy:
  • kitchenpenguin
    kitchenpenguin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ooh, another stress baker! My house always smells amazing when I'm stressed :tongue: I also clean. Not geeky, except I usually have Star Trek TNG or Doctor Who on in the background.

I clean when I'm angry or depressed. If I feel like I can't control a situation then I exert control upon my environment by cleaning and reorganizing. I like to listen to podcasts when I cook and clean. My current rotation is comedy heavy: WTF, Nerdist, Smartest Man in the World, Judge John Hodgman, The Bugle, This American Life, Freakonomics, and Dead Authors.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    See now after watching Chris Eccleston in 28 Days Later - that series of Dr Who was never the same but then Alistair McCoy was always my fave, or Tom Baker :happy:

Don't ruin Chris Eccleston for me like that! No no no.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Kingdom hearts.

Need I say more?

It's like Disney childhood memories and RPG all in one.
  • Exill
    Options

Don't ruin Chris Eccleston for me like that! No no no.

I know him best as the Duke of Norfolk. Will never be able to get that image of him out of my head.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Vidya games. I'm the goddamn batman.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Or, if you haven't yet, try Dr. Who. Very interesting and the new Doctor is incredibly cheerful.

Where does one begin with this series?

the newer eps start with chris eccleston on netflix in 2005. it will say season 1. there is 6 total.
    watch it, watch it now. i've seen every episode at least 10 times. my kids are even obsessed, haha.

there is some older eps on netflix too, but not sequential.

I've always had it on my mental to-watch list, but it seemed so daunting. Thanks for giving me a starting point! I see stuff about it a~ll the time (especially on tumblr) and it looks too amazing for me to have put off this long.

amg watch it and you can fangirl with me. =D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials
    scroll down to ninth doctor

you can see when to watch the specials here.

waters of mars and end of time after season 4!
    then you can start again with season 5.
    why planet of the dead isn't on NF i have no idea.
  • caraiselite
    Options

after seeing him in gone in 60 seconds is was like getting mind fscked watching him in doctor who :P
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Definitely losing myself in a favorite scifi/fantasy show, book, or game for a few hours. Nothing helps get through the blah more than taking a little mental vacation :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I try to be more active when I get bored or blah. I been playing with Zombie Run! and also recently created a Fitocracy account but I am not too sure if I will keep it up. Seems redundant logging exercises twice. Here on MFP and Fitocracy.

Aside from being active, going to the gym that sorta thing I like to:

1) watch shows on Netflix. I have been watching Dr. Who. I have queued up BSG and plan to start watch that when I am caught up with Dr. Who.

2) mess with my MtG decks. haven't played in ages though. no one near me to play ) 0=

3) collect geeky artwork. I have ton of pictures on my computer that I have gotten via the interwebz. If I really like something I'll google-fu the artist and try to get some of their work to display in my apartment.

4) comic books, mangas. currently reading Buffy, Angel & Faith, Green Arrow, Batman, Justice League, Negima!, Hack/Slash, Jericho. I was excited to hear at San Diego Comic-con that Netflix is in talks to bring the show back.

5) games. just not as much as I used to.

Videogames are like booze to me. Gets my mind off things.. except much more entertaining! But they need to be RPGs or they don't hold my interest long enough. Or reading, since RPGs are basically interactive books lol.

This is a bit of a addiction for me in a bad way. In the past it was a major part in nearly being 500 lbs. I still play but only 2-4hrs a week instead of 7-10 hrs. everyday like I used to. I like all genres but RPGs are my favorite.
    I put on music and go for a walk.

I know, I know, not that geeky (other than music geeky). But getting outside and moving around is much more likely to kick depression than sitting in a dark room. I'm not saying that doesn't work for some, but going outside is better for me.

same here. best part is during the winter season. I work nights and in my line of work I have lots of down time, (as evidenced by the LOOT thread) I'll go outside at 2am in the dark and go walk. It's a bit interesting with the Zombie Run! app. When it snows outside I'll cue up Star Wars to add to the ambience.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Put on Firefly and Serenity, it's like comfort food! Paint miniatures, make my daughter another historical costume, do some patchwork.
  • Exill
    Options

Thank you!! Unfortunately the Canadian Netflix doesn't compare at all to the US one as it has so little on it, nothing current. It never has anything I want to watch so I cancelled my sub. So I just stream everything online. :D
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ten is my doctor.

I will usually just peruse Netflix. I recently stumbled across Tom Hardy in a remake of Wuthering Heights and while the series rather well, sucked, he was a damn good Heathclliff.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Unfortunately the Canadian Netflix doesn't compare at all to the US one as it has so little on it, nothing current. It never has anything I want to watch so I cancelled my sub. So I just stream everything online. :D
    QFT.. so annoying!

I miss my mmo subs.. I'm desperately fighting not to go renew SWTOR. I'm down to my last Jordan book and the new one isn't out until January or some silly thing. I've taken to re-watching the original Trek movies, already finished ALL episodes of B5 and TNG among other things.. 3TB of stuff and nothing on!
  • thewinged
    Options
    Blah moments...hmmm. Welp, video games are wonderful for that. Nothing like an RPG or epic fantasy adventure to escape to for a while.
    I also like to go outside and find some birds to look at. Being out for a while is great for blahs, for me. I guess I'm a weird kind of nerd - gaming nerd and bird nerd rolled into one.
    Also, reading is awesome. Problem is, I get sucked into it and then it becomes literally all I do all day until the book is finished. Thus, books are terrible for sleeping XD

Kingdom hearts.

Need I say more?

No, no you don't. Best blah remover ever.
  • caraiselite
    Options

you can get american NF in canada. just takes a bit of a workaround. there's some youtube tutorials how to do it.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I pick up a new anime or sci-fi series. How I got wicked into Star Trek and how Spice & Wolf became a top anime for me.

I used to play games a lot but currently don't have any systems set up and my laptop can't handle most modern games (maybe I should check out older ones? lol) However I have been rediscovering Harvest Moon via finding my GBC copy whilst cleaning :3 I've been playing it every night since. Almost to year 2! lol

I also tend to sew a lot. Cosplay, clothing, lolita fashion, anything I can think of. My projects drawer is overflowing at the moment because I has a bleh week a month ago :X whoops.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    - Going out to coffee with the awesome friends I've made through the gaming club in town.
    - Finding a new sci-fi/fantasy series to read (currently reading through the Dresden Files... loving it, so far)
    - Spending a good deal of time drawing up my D&D characters
    - Browsing online stores and drooling over stuff I wish I had the $ to buy for cosplay (and attempting to make such awesome stuff with cheap materials I have lying around my house)
    - Making jewelry
    - And then, of course, browsing through Netflix to find anything worth watching