Boxing Goals -

So, we have a few members that are linked by a common commitment to boxing (in varying capacities), so thought it worth putting up a goal thread relevant to your boxing focus - whatever your goal, throw it up

My goal:

- Fight an exhibition bout in November at 75kg

Replies

• dieseldan1956
    dieseldan1956 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm currently training for Masters boxing but I need tp shed a ton of weight before I can get in the ring again. I spar with a couple of guys at a gym in Chicago a couple times a month.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Unfortunately it looks like my gym wont be holding any exhibitions this year, so November goal is dead. Although the owner of the gym is talking about bringing a team (including me) down to the Masters next year so that gives me an even bigger focus.......... hopefully get a few bouts in the leadup as prep.

Whats the Masters setup like in your city dieseldan1956?
  • I am in the boxing club at my university and have been for the past year. You either have the option to just do the workouts or do the workouts in addition to compete. For the past two semesters, I have opted for the workouts only. My new goal is to spar this semester.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Improve movement to the point where I am consistently NOT getting punched in the face.
    Improve hand speed. Not sure how to gage improvement on this. Any recommendations for improving speed and/or gageing progress?
    Improve the form of my right hook and my left uppercut.
    Get some power behing my straight. My only power right now is coming from my left hook.
  • My goal is to go pro and make a name of myself I am very passionate about boxing it is the only sport i have ever loved. I am majoring in exercise science in college so that i am able to run my own gym later. I am just starting but according to my coach i am doing excellent and learning really quick so i should be able to do well in the sport.
  • RobynLB
    My goal is to go pro and make a name of myself I am very passionate about boxing it is the only sport i have ever loved. I am majoring in exercise science in college so that i am able to run my own gym later. I am just starting but according to my coach i am doing excellent and learning really quick so i should be able to do well in the sport.

Wow- great ambition! Boxing is one of those sports that's largely hard work and mental grit, so go for it!
  • Spikesfx
    Spikesfx Posts: 8 Member
    My goal was to get into sparring harder, but I tore my ACL kickboxing, so now my goal is to strengthen my leg enough to begin boxing again. Go figure. GETTING OLD SUCKS!!!!!
  • RobynLB
    My goal was to get into sparring harder, but I tore my ACL kickboxing, so now my goal is to strengthen my leg enough to begin boxing again. Go figure. GETTING OLD SUCKS!!!!!

Ugh. I know what you mean. It seems like every little thing turns into a big thing that will not go away! Hope you have a speedy recovery! I remember in my teens and 20's I'd play through any kind of injury, and it would heal itself up in no time anyways... now, when I am being super active, I have to rotate training days based on my specific injuries that month.
  • My goal is to increase my stamina on the bag by learning how to engage my core better. Last night I think I figured out how to do it but I think I just engaged one side and now I am sore on one side of my abs! However, my main goal is to be able to get better and become more fit through boxing without reinjuring my Achilles tendon, which I hurt pretty bad in August 2012. No problems yet (positive thoughts)!
  • redrover
    redrover Posts: 71 Member
    Spend time every day on a double-ended bag to improve your hand speed. It is a great training tool.
  • RobynLB
    My goal is to increase my stamina on the bag by learning how to engage my core better. Last night I think I figured out how to do it but I think I just engaged one side and now I am sore on one side of my abs! However, my main goal is to be able to get better and become more fit through boxing without reinjuring my Achilles tendon, which I hurt pretty bad in August 2012. No problems yet (positive thoughts)!

Are you talking about engaging your core during twisting motions (like for a hook) or are you talking about keeping your core tight throughtout your workout? Property engaging your core probably will not increase stamina because it takes more energy to engage more muscles, but you're on the right track to focus on your core while you're learning because that's where all your power will come from (especially as a women because we have less power in our arms).

When you throw punches with proper form, you will actually get tired faster, but you will build up stamina just by practicing more. It's weird switching from running to boxing, because you think you have stamina, but it doesn't really translate when you shift to an upper body workout. Keep at it. I'm excited to see how fast you progess because you seem super dedicated. Love it!
  • Yes, I was engaging during twisting on punch outs. Last night my coach put on the pads and I finally got to punch a moving target. That was pretty amazing, and, as everyone who has been doing this for a while, is really different than punching a heavy hanging bag. Much more fun.