Gyms on Base/Post

Options
srpm
srpm Posts: 275 Member
Do you use the gyms on your base? If so do you attend any of the group classes they offer? I plan on starting to go to one of our gyms on base tomorrow but am a little worried that they only people in there will be AD and look at me like I'm a stupid wife.

I work full-time and like working out in the morning so I want to go at 5 when they open & just get ready for work in the locker room. I hate that all of the classes are during the day so I can't take advantage of the free yoga, zumba etc.

Replies

• sespi
    sespi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've always used the gym on post and it's nowhere near as intimidating as I thought it would be. In my experience though, the gym tends to be really full of AD people around 5 because people are getting in their workouts before they go to work. I used to go around 7 or 8 when it was emptying out again.

Nobody will look at you like you're a stupid wife though. They don't know and they don't care :)
  • ItsTiffanyFTW
    ItsTiffanyFTW Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I personally don't b/c it's further for me... but I agree with sespi - no one will look any different at you.
    Just curious which base you're at... I was stationed in the Norfolk area my whole enlistment :)
  • srpm
    Options
    We are at Naval Station Norfolk. I'm loving the area so far!
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The gym on RAF Lakenheath is FILLED with wives during the day! Mornings and evenings is when most of the active duty members go.
  • srpm
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I went to Q80 @ Norfolk this morning (just in case anyone else in the area is wondering) I got there at 5:15 and it was busy but not nearly as busy as I expected, maybe the fact that it was Friday had something to do with that? I had no problem getting any of the machines I wanted and really only had 1 complaint (well two, but forgetting my water bottle was my own fault!) and that was that the showers were super cold. I plan on going back Monday morning before work and they have a tae-bo class at 5 on Wednesday's that I might be able to make it to so I think I'm gonna ask the hubby if he wants to do that with me.
  • kaserz
    kaserz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There's supposed to be a zumba class at the Q80 gym...have you tried that out? I want to, but I am apprehensive about going to the gym alone.
  • srpm
    Options
    There is a zumba class in Q80, there is also Tae-bo on Wednesdays at 5 which I'm wanting to try out. I can't do Zumba because it's in the middle of the day. :( I was totally beyond apprehensive to go alone (thus the point of this post!) but I have been going most mornings for the past 3 weeks and really it's been great.I don't know for sure but I would assume since zumba is in the middle of the day that if you went you wouldn't be alone it's probably mainly wives.
  • kaserz
    kaserz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I figured it would be mostly wives. I'm just getting back into working out after a several year hiatus. Zumba and Tae-bo would probably kick my butt...but I'd feel more comfortable taking a class than just jumping into the equipment. I'm 4'9" and using equipment can be a challenge.
  • emilybrokaw
    Options
    I work out at the gym here on base, and it seems the best times to go are 8:30-10:30 am, or about an hour before closing.
    Who cares what they think, you're obviously trying to do something to better yourself. Besides, you're not doing it for them.. you're doing it for yourself!
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I worked out at the gyms on post and thought I would feel intimidated, especially with so many SF there but I didn't. Those soldiers are pretty much there for their workout and that is it.
  • Foxness
    Foxness Posts: 6
    Options
    It's the opposite at 29 Palms... I am active duty (but also the wife of a Marine) and there is NEVER any active duty Marines at the classes offered at the gyms on base, it is always spouses! The gyms are packed from 5:30-7am, 11:30-1pm, and 4-6pm with active duty members lifting weights and stuff, but the tredmills and elypticals are usually open, and it'a dead the rest of the time (on weekdays).
  • srpm
    Options
    It's the opposite at 29 Palms... I am active duty (but also the wife of a Marine) and there is NEVER any active duty Marines at the classes offered at the gyms on base, it is always spouses! The gyms are packed from 5:30-7am, 11:30-1pm, and 4-6pm with active duty members lifting weights and stuff, but the tredmills and elypticals are usually open, and it'a dead the rest of the time (on weekdays).
    I would assume the classes are mainly wives because they are all in the middle of the day here too, I go to the gym at 5-5:30am though so I'm there right at the peak of AD people getting in their PT. It's no where near as intimidating as I expected though, especially since just like every other gym there are plenty of "gym guys" there who think lifting 2,000lbs once is an amazing workout and lifting 20lbs 100 times is a waste, they make me giggle.

I did go to the tae-bo class a few weeks ago and it kicked my *kitten* its at 5:00 and had a good mix of spouses and AD people but most of the AD people were female so it was more motivation to get my *kitten* in shape than intimidation that I looked funny. In fact the couple of AD guys who were there had a harder time with it than I did :)
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I work out at the gyms on base, and have everywhere I've been. Trust me, there are people of all shapes and sizes there -- it's nothign to be intimidated by.

I also find it frustrating that they offer the classes that probably cater to military wives (like Zumba) during the day. That seems to be everywhere. It seems sometimes like the military itself buys into the stereotype that military spouses don't have jobs. All the resources and social groups for military spouses take place during normal business hours.
  • jbyrd3912
    Options
    My husband and I go to the Air Force gym and he's in the Navy! It's closer to where we live and their gym is a lot nicer. I felt the same way as you do the first time we went. I was so scared because I'm the wife and felt like people would look down on me. After going a few times you notice that no one really pays you any attention. So now we go in and I go up to do my stuff and he goes back to the weights and I get into my own little world. No one knows I'm just his wife (they see I'm married bc of my rings) but hey no worries.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    YES. Absolutely. I go to all the gyms on Fort Carson. The boys don't get in my way. I put on my headphones and get my sweat on. There are lots of free classes too but I haven't been to any yet.

Brittany
    Fort Carson, CO
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think they'd look at you because I see so many wives (at least here) that don't bother taking care of themselves so they'd definitely have respect for you. At least the guys I've talked to (who are AD and gym buffs) seem to think that way.
  • srpm
    Options
    I officially will never be worried about going to the gym on base ever again. Went this morning, finally getting back into a routine, and was a little later than normal. When I got off the treadmill there was a huge group walk in for command PT. My work out was 10 times harder than the majority of the girls in the group and a lot of the guys. I was with a friend who is AD and I guess she saw the look on my face because her only response was "yes, they are getting paid to be here right now."
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Glad it was a good experience!

I've always taken advantage of gyms on base and had positive experiences.
  • Cyanid3
    Cyanid3 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I went with my husband to one of the gyms here and found it crammed and sweaty, but the ppl in general left me alone. It's just getting to a free equipment that was the issue. I definitely recommend avoiding lunch time, pt time, and early out time, since that seems to be higher traffic.
    I'm going to try one of the larger gyms next time and hopefully will run into less ppl.
    It's gotta be worth it though, free classes and free gyms are awesome.
  • MommyLovesHerFurBabies
    Options
    Ever since my husband and I started living on Base when we were at Pendleton I used the gyms on base. The nice thing about Pendleton though was they had the gyms the guys used and then gyms for the families in the housing areas (at least on my side of base). So a lot of times I was alone when I worked out or there'd be 1 or 2 wives show up. It was super nice. Now that we're out in Oki I go to the same gyms that the guys use and no one stares.
    I was just as intimidated, especially when I first started working out thinking everyone would be disgusted by me but everyone is there to get in shape and be healthy so it doesnt seem like to many ppl judge...you might get your occassionaly butthead but ya get that everywhere.