People are mean.

Options
metalvegan
metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
I get mocked and ridiculed all the time in real life for being vegan (have been for 8 years, not for weight loss) but I never thought I would get crap for it HERE!! (not in the vegan group, just on general boards). Are you experiencing the same thing? Why are people so mean to us?

Replies

• VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Because they think by the moral choice we've made, that we believe we are superior to them. So they feel they need to defend themselves and put us down.

No matter, I know you rock and that's all that is important. You know that vegan is the right choice, so just hold your head high and ignore those who make you feel bad in here.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't bring it up unless it's asked (here or in real life) or it's on a vegan/vegetarian board. My lifestyle is my choice just like your lifestyle is your choice. If someone else wants to judge that's their problem. It sucks but some people just don't like what they don't understand. Everyone is free to have their own opinions and beliefs. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. :smile:
  • MichelaMargaret
    Options
    I second all of these affirmations! I've found that when people ask, "Why are you a vegetarian?" (I consider myself a mostly-vegan, slowly transitioning to 100% vegan), they're often picking a fight. So usually I respond with, "Are you genuinely curious? Because I don't like talking about it just for argument's sake." That minor challenge usually brings the individual down a notch or two, and helps me gauge whether he/she is truly interested or just combative. And just as stylistchik and VeganPanda mentioned, I rarely bring it up unless absolutely necessary.

Hope this helps! Keep in mind that your dietary choices are your own. And in living a compassionate, kind life, you're doing far more for the planet than many people are; relish in that every time you are brought down by others. And, of course, keep up the fabulous work : )
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Same reason they are mean to animals. They lack compassion. Don't take it personally, or stay here in the vegan groups!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I take it as a opportunity to educate. Especially on the whole protein myth. But if they're just looking for a reason to fight I ask if they really want to know or if they are just looking for a fight.
  • metalvegan
    Options
    I'm adding one more thing to my rant because I can't believe this just happened.

I went to a high-end grocery store to look at their make-up. I'ev never worn any kind of foundation, but my mom has this really great tinted moisturizer and I wanted to get something similar. So I asked the lady working in the cosmetics section where I might find a cruelty-free tinted moisturized. Keep in mind that this store is generally expensive and carries tons of items marked vegan. (It's like Whole Foods, but slightly lower end) The lady, whose job it is to find people cosmetics, says "Ok, well, look. Even if something SAYS not tested on animals, all these companies buy ingredients that are, blah blah blah" and I cut her off to say "Alright" and walk away.

I'm so disappointed that someone like that would not fulfill her job duties in order to lecture me about NOT buying products labeled vegan when that is my own personal choice. Just tell me where they are - I don't want your opinion on how I spend MY money at YOUR store!!

Rant ended.
  • metalvegan
    Options
    Same reason they are mean to animals. They lack compassion. Don't take it personally, or stay here in the vegan groups!

I like all of this :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'm adding one more thing to my rant because I can't believe this just happened.

I went to a high-end grocery store to look at their make-up. I'ev never worn any kind of foundation, but my mom has this really great tinted moisturizer and I wanted to get something similar. So I asked the lady working in the cosmetics section where I might find a cruelty-free tinted moisturized. Keep in mind that this store is generally expensive and carries tons of items marked vegan. (It's like Whole Foods, but slightly lower end) The lady, whose job it is to find people cosmetics, says "Ok, well, look. Even if something SAYS not tested on animals, all these companies buy ingredients that are, blah blah blah" and I cut her off to say "Alright" and walk away.

I'm so disappointed that someone like that would not fulfill her job duties in order to lecture me about NOT buying products labeled vegan when that is my own personal choice. Just tell me where they are - I don't want your opinion on how I spend MY money at YOUR store!!

Rant ended.

Wow. Geez some lady. I am just now sort of looking into crueltry free and vegan make up.
    Urban Decay has a tinted moisturizer that completely vegan. It's a bit pricey, but its a good size bottle since you don't need a dab or two of tinted moisturizer it will last a good awhile. I'm thinking about getting it myself when my other one runs out.

I'm also hoping to work at a make up store soon so I'm going to try and push this brand. You'll find the general public doesn't know much about make up being test on animals or having animal products in them and get grossed out if you tell them it does.
  • metalvegan
    Options

Urban Decay has a tinted moisturizer that completely vegan. It's a bit pricey, but its a good size bottle since you don't need a dab or two of tinted moisturizer it will last a good awhile. I'm thinking about getting it myself when my other one runs out.

Ooh! I'm going to look into this. Thanks!!
  • sriraw
    sriraw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It bums me out that you are experiencing an us (vegan) against them (carnivores) mentality.

Whenever folks ask me why I am vegan - I tell them for environmental reasons. You really can't argue against facts like this:
    http://earth911.com/news/2012/04/09/how-vegan-and-vegetarian-diets-help-the-environment/
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Yeah, my wife uses Urban Decay and loves it.
  • hungryshay
    hungryshay Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Me too! Thanks for the tip!
  • TinaKeniston
    TinaKeniston Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I second all of these affirmations! I've found that when people ask, "Why are you a vegetarian?" (I consider myself a mostly-vegan, slowly transitioning to 100% vegan), they're often picking a fight. So usually I respond with, "Are you genuinely curious? Because I don't like talking about it just for argument's sake." That minor challenge usually brings the individual down a notch or two, and helps me gauge whether he/she is truly interested or just combative. And just as stylistchik and VeganPanda mentioned, I rarely bring it up unless absolutely necessary.

I like this suggestion and will use it when I feel it's warranted. I don't feel as though I need to defend my choice to be vegan, but if someone has a true interest in it then I'm happy to share what I know. Rarely do I "fess up" in casual conversation, but if I get to know someone fairly well then I'll talk about it.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I notice this too! I just found this board today from an "anyone else vegan?" thread, and it was full of rude responses like, "I love dead animals," posting photos of meat, "runs in throws bacon in the air," etc. I just want to ask everyone why they are behaving like 12 year olds.

I never really encounter anyone in my day to day life that is rude about me being vegan, it's just these online forums that seem to bring out the immature side of people. I do remember having some of those arguments, for the sake of arguments, when I was a vegetarian in college. But now that I'm in my 30's that doesn't tend to happen anymore.

Anyway, I'm glad I've found this board, if any of you would like to add another vegan friend to your list, feel free to add me!
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I recently transitioned to a vegan lifestyle after being vegetarian for 8 years. Even before taking the plunge, I had to listen to some family members bash veganism, even though they have no knowledge of the subject. It is certianly a major bummer, especially when you feel so great about the positive impact being vegan has on yourself, the environment and animals. I am dreading family gatherings and holidays where I'm going to have to stick up for myself and lay down the facts. It almost makes me want to avoid them altogether. It's sad that vegans have to deal with this kind of stuff. I don't preach to anybody about the bloody lump of meat on their plate, so what's so wrong about my dietary choices? It's maddening.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Focus on positive energy.
    You can pick whom you want to hang out. If you hang out with bad people, you will be come one of them or they will get you in trouble.
    The good thing about the internet is when I read some negative remark, I just skip them.