Goal 13.1 December 2012

Options
Hi I am going to follow Jeff Galloway's 1/2 marathon training. this will be my first 13.1. Anyone up to stepping into this goal with me add me as a friend. August 8th is day one. The race is December 8th.

Success is a Choice
Patsy

Replies

• 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I've done 5 half marathons but would like to get much faster. I'm doing a ten miler in Disney in Oct and also using Jeff Galloway.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Great. I am looking forward to the challenge and a bit intimidated. I look forward to hearing from you and I will check in.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    you will totally rock it.

I did my 1st half 15th July. I started training for it after I did a 11.5 race end of May. so I went from 11.5 to 21.1km in 6 weeks. So 4 months, you will totally rock it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have my 4th half marathon coming up this September, it's a great distance - good luck.

Stick with your training plan and remember to smile as you cross the finish line.
  • 20carrots
    Options
    Before my first half I also read that smiling when the going gets tough will actually "fool" your body a little to think you are really enjoying yourself. So don't just smile when you cross the finish line (if you're like me you'll probably cry too) but smile throughout! :happy:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I just started training for my second in November! We can do this! My first one I took very seriously and I did very well but this one I'm doing for a fundraiser I care about and I just want to have fun with it. My schedule is very crazy so I'm not taking the training too seriously because I'm very active anyway. Good luck!

ETA: I made it sound like I'm not planning on training, lol. That's not the case, I just plan to follow a more flexible schedule throughout the week and really focus on increasing my distance on one long run per week.
  • stylistchik
    Options
    Before my first half I also read that smiling when the going gets tough will actually "fool" your body a little to think you are really enjoying yourself. So don't just smile when you cross the finish line (if you're like me you'll probably cry too) but smile throughout! :happy:

I though I was the only person who cried at the finish line! LOL That feeling was so overwhelming it was incredible!
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    I just started the 13.1 app. I'm right there with you!:drinker:
  • amandal00
    amandal00 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request! I'm right along beside you, also training for my first half which is Dec 9th! I too am following Jeff Galloway's plan.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options

it does work - also found that the more people I greet and encourage along the way, the better I feel too (as we're all smiling more!)
    Have fun! You can so do this and will feel great about the accomplishment at the end!
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Thanks for the support. Looking at Jeff's MM x 1.3= my finish maybe close to 4 hrs. I know this is day 1 and I may be projecting to soon. But what is an averge finish for a first timer? 13.1 will finish but almost 4 hrs??? really??? :huh: :huh:
  • gpyles
    gpyles Posts: 4
    Options
    I ran my first (and only so far) half in Feb and finished just under 3 hours. And that was with walking most of the last couple miles! If you can average 12 minute miles then that would put you at 2 hours for 10 miles and you have another hour to do the final 3.1 miles. ;-)

I am starting to train for my second one now and will be trying to improve on that time, hopefully.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Oh that is good. Thanks for the response. :blushing: Almost thought I was over my head.
  • sfic1
    sfic1 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thats great. I did a half marathon last yr. and know I'm doin my first full marathon in oct. the training is tough but well worth it at the finish.. Its a great accomplishment when ur done keep up the great work.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Using the Galloway method to train for my first half this November! Anyone can feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Good Luck on your run in October. :drinker: Enjoy it.
  • 20carrots
    Options
    Thanks for the support. Looking at Jeff's MM x 1.3= my finish maybe close to 4 hrs. I know this is day 1 and I may be projecting to soon. But what is an averge finish for a first timer? 13.1 will finish but almost 4 hrs??? really??? :huh: :huh:

I'm sure it won't take you that long. I trained as best I could and finished around 2:30...my friends who don't train AT ALL (and are therefore insane but that's another story) usually finish around 3:30.

Too early to project but I'd put money on you finishing between 2:45-3:15 :drinker:
  • mmmb300
    mmmb300 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Got my 1st half coming up here August 26th... (doing a 10K ther weekend after that! Crazy)

I read somewhere that you should aleast attempt a 10 mile run sometime before the half... I did that a couple weekends ago and came in at 1 hr 55 mins. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and lifted my confidence for the 1/2 EMENSLY! Now i know i can do it!

Good luck!
  • stylistchik
    Options

I'm sure it won't take you that long. I trained as best I could and finished around 2:30...my friends who don't train AT ALL (and are therefore insane but that's another story) usually finish around 3:30.

Too early to project but I'd put money on you finishing between 2:45-3:15 :drinker:

I'd wait to predict your time because you'll improve a ton. My original goal was just to finish and then I figured 2:30 would be a good time, then throughout training I decided to shoot for 2:15. I finished in 1:54. I cried at the finish line after seeing that time LOL
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Ok my base for a time is
    burned 720 calories doing 64 minutes of "Running (jogging), 5 mph (12 min mile)" with one quick bathroom break. Temp 84degree humidity high. This is my 5 mile run. Lots of room for improvement so feel free to comment. I did begin to run low on water. But I do not want to run with a camel pack or bottle. But I may need to. I hide frozen water bottles in trees for my cool down home.

Have a great day.
    Patsy :glasses: