Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• jilli814
    jilli814 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jillian. I have my BA is Elementary Education 1-6 and my MA in Special Education 1-6. I am currently subbing in a school district by my house and work at a law firm. I have been searching for a full time teaching position for the past 2 going on 3 years. Sometimes it feels hopeless. As time continues to pass, I become more and more stressed about it. I am taking that anxiety and trying to focus it on me and shredding the pounds. Like people always tell me.....things happen for a reason. Maybe I am being given this time to focus on me! Positivity is the best medicine!!!

Nice to mee you all! Feel free to add me, I could use all the motivation I can get.
  • kingp62
    kingp62 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey I'm Trish!

Im in long island area and struggling to find a secure teaching position while going to grad school, subbing and being a TA.
    Ive had crazy schedules and have been eating to the go and put on 15 lbs this past year and a half. I need some motivation and inspiration.

Good luck to all :)
  • Schmambermc
    Options
    I like so many of you struggled to find a teaching job when I graduated. I put on about 40 (eek!) pounds in a year. I am now in my second year of teaching and really want to lose the weight. This is my first year in a gen Ed 3 rd grade class so I feel like it's my first year! I've been going to therapy to help with my binge eating. I get triggered by stress and feeling overwhelmed, which happens a lot with teaching! Like someone else said I'm learning I just have to make it a priority to take care of myself. It is so hard to go to the gym after working all day, so so hard, but I always feel so much better when I do! I'm excited to have support of others who know what I'm going through.
  • savvya
    savvya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    My name is Ariana and I work in California. This is my second year teaching high school.
    I would love to make some new friends here and help anyone get motivated.
    I hope you are all having a good day.

- Ariana
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Welcome new teachers :) Feel free to add me!
  • JakBuddy
    Options
    Hi!

I've just joined this group, I'm Gemma and I'm from New Zealand, I am about to start teaching my own class this year - we call it Year 5 & 6 (composite class of mostly 9 and 10 year olds). I got a job at one of the schools I had placement at and I absolutely love it, cannot wait.

I have a bunch of weight to lose before my besties wedding in Feb and it's only 6 weeks away! I feel like 2012 was so good for me in terms of finding my niche and succeeding but health wise I just let myself go and didn't make healthy choices a consistent thing and thus I've ended up with 15.8 kilos to lose, I've lost 5.6 so far, so I'm on the way!!!

Looking forward to meeting some new people and sharing.

Gem.
  • sqshyfsh
    sqshyfsh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am a teacher/substitute, and this is my third year. I teach computers part time, 2nd grade once a week, and I sub at all levels once a week. Its always an adventure!

I just recently gained quite a bit of weight. It's been a difficult thing to tackle emotionally because pretty much since I was 12 I have always been the same size. So the day I woke up and realized my favorite jeans hadn't shrunk in the wash, and I had grown, was a sorrowful day!

For about a year I have "attempted" to lose weight. Last summer I sprained my ankle pretty badly, so that set me back in terms of exercise. Once that healed I signed up for a 5K and thought that this was going to be my big chance to really get on track! Then I ended up with a shin injury... So, I let myself fall off track again.

I am hoping to really start making some permanent lifestyle changes, so that I can set a good example for my students and feel confident and positive.

Feel free to add me as a friend - I have a public food diary, and could use support, motivation, and a good swift kick in the pants if I fall off track! :)
  • Jcolonel49
    Jcolonel49 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jessica,
    I am in my first year of teaching and am currently a first grade assistant teacher in a G&T school in Manhattan. I am also working on my Masters in Childhood Ed. with an extension in Math and Science.
    This is my first year working full time while going to school and I am shocked at how quickly I put on weight from September to January and also how exhausted I've felt the first couple of months teaching.
    I was so excited to see this group! I am excited to meet people in the teaching community who are looking to live a healthier lifestyle like I am.
  • ALekaeHay
    ALekaeHay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm Ashley - wife, dog-mom, baker, sister, and a 7th & 8th grade Lang. Arts teacher from rural West Virginia. This is my first year teaching, and so far the stress, chaos, workload, and (let's be real) kids have been overwhelming. The school I'm in has gone through 4 different administrators in the past three years; needless to say, things are a bit rocky. I've not really gained since school started but a total of 55 lbs. since I got engaged in August 2007. (Yes, 55 lbs. in about 5.5 years - YIKES!) I'm usually physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted by the time I get home around 4:30. Luckily, I don't mind making smart eating choices - it's the exercise that gets me! So I'm hoping that MFP will give me the boost & encouragement that I'm needing.

Good luck to all of you in your teaching & weight loss endeavors! Feel free to add me on here. :happy:
  • rsisak
    rsisak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Ronda and I am a first year health science teacher (10th-12th grade) in north texas. I am a mother and wife and have the same struggles as a lot of you in that I have a hard time fitting in the activity. I have been up and down with my weight my whole life and I am a dietitian to boot! This should be easy for me but it is easier to tell others than to do it myself. After having my daughter, I entered a whole new world of needing to be home to spend every minute I can with her. Working out was always how I maintained my weight and my hips are showing that it is not happening right now. I look forward to hearing how to maybe get some good workouts in at lunch and mainly just to steal some inspiration from some awesome fellow teachers!
  • chels31691
    Options
    Hello! I'm Chelsea, and I'm a senior elementary education major. I'll be doing my student teaching in the fall and graduating in December. I used to live on campus at my university, where I had an absolute cornucopia of free opportunities to work out with friends. Now, I'm a newlywed, living 20 miles away from campus and sharing a car with my husband, who works 9 hour days. We have a lot of local walking trails, and we've got a recreation center just down the road from us, but it's so expensive! We walk some, but usually, by the time we're done driving to and from work and school all day, we just want to come home and relax for a little while. It's so hard to find something that's convenient for me with our shared car and is a bit more enticing than just walking everyday.

I have heart issues, diabetes, and obesity in my family, and I want the trend to end. I just don't feel healthy right now, and that's really my biggest goal. I want to feel healthy and I want to look smokin' when I wear my little black dress again. My goal is to lose 40 lbs. by Christmas, and I'd really love to lose 25-30 by mid-August, when I'm scheduled to begin student teaching. I want to set an example for my students and my family so that they can see what healthy living looks like in action.
  • literaryrose
    literaryrose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Kate! I just graduated from West Virginia University with a Masters in Education and a Bachelors in English, and my goal is to find a full-time teaching position as a secondary education English teacher. Because I have dedicated the last 5 years to a dual degree program, I have had less time to focus on myself. I am nearly sixty pounds heavier than I was when I graduated from high school, and believe me it has been a very self-deprecating and stressful road trying to get myself back to the size I used to be. I wish I could go back in time and slap my senior year self for thinking I was fat then, when really I was at a healthy body weight and looking great!

Now that I am no longer the student, and I am trying to focus my energy on developing a healthy lifestyle so that the weight will come off and stay off. I've been working out almost every day since I graduated, and I'm trying to focus on only buying groceries from the perimeter of the store (not in the aisles, where all of the processed food is) but it's really tough and I find myself constantly searching through my kitchen for less healthy snacks.

I am hoping that by joining this group I can find a little more motivation to get my eating habits and body back on track. God knows I will all of the energy I can get when I finally get a classroom of my own!
  • Kacie_88
    Kacie_88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm finishing up my first year of teaching. I graduated from The University of Florida with my bachelor's in Elementary Education and my master's in Special Education. I'm currently teaching at a small school in Florida. This year I taught 3rd grade and next year they're bumping me up to 5th!

When I was in school I had a pretty good handle on my health and wellness, but this year completely derailed me. I wake up too early to workout in the morning (at least, I can't bring myself to wake up earlier than my already-set 5:30 alarm clock) and I was too tired at the end of the day to go home and go for a run like I could do as a student. This year I gained 17 pounds back and I am NOT happy about that. I'm hoping to get back on track and get some good habits going again over the summer so I will be more likely to carry them over into next school year.
  • Jaceface27
    Jaceface27 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm very excited to have joined this group. My name is Sam and I just completed my first year teaching! (Celebrate!) I teach English at a Catholic high school and feel so fortunate to be working there during a time where teaching jobs are so hard to find (I applied to over 40 schools before landing this job last summer).

My issue is that during the school year and being a track coach during the spring semester I had no time left! I would even contemplate about working out at 4 in the morning, but I needed to wake up at 4 in order to lesson plan, prepare, or grade for my 3 preps.

My goal this summer is to make exercising and cooking meals habitual. Many nights during the week during the school year I would be on my way from work at 5 pm, or on my way home from a track meet at 10 pm that I would swing by any local fast food place to pick up something really easy. I want to implement daily exercise and meal planning so that when the next school year starts it won't seem as difficult to "change" since the "changes" will already be implemented.

I would love any input you all may have! Especially fast, healthy recipes for dinners. My husband is diabetic; therefore, I would like to cook things that would be great for the both of us!

And a question for those teachers that have been in the field longer than me-- does the 2nd and 3rd year get a little easier? I love my job, but I it was VERY tiring come the end of the school year.

Please feel free to add me as a friend! Positive reinforcement is always the best route to take! :-)
  • Jaceface27
    Options
    In reply to Kacie--

I'm definitely trying to make healthy changes a habit this summer too! I'm not letting myself sleep in too much-- I usually would wake up at 5 during the school year-- so I make myself be up by 6 am. The whole day is then left for the taking!
  • literaryrose
    literaryrose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Jaceface27, if I am lucky enough to find a teaching position I will be entering my first year of teaching (not counting 3 years of student teaching.) First, kudos to you for tackling track too. Here's one way that you can kill two birds with one stone. During track practice, run with your team when you get the chance. I know that the track coach at my student teaching placement did that, and he always seemed to stay in shape because he ran just as much as the team.

As far as meals go, I remember when I was student teaching I would always come home exhausted with a huge pile of homework from my students. Is there any chance that your husband can chip in for making dinner? It would give you a little extra time to relax and a little more time to get some of your grading and planning done that you normally have to do at 4 AM.
  • Jaceface27
    Options
    literaryrose,

Thanks for your advice! I'll be crossing my fingers for you that a permanent teaching position opens up for you! English is by far the best subject. :-)

That was a good tip about track-- I think next year I will try exercising as the team is doing their drills, especially when we're in the weight room lifting. I started lifting with my track athletes this year but didn't feel confident enough to do so the way I wanted to. A part of me feels like a hypocrite since I'm trying to coach athletes on running and throwing and yet I'm currently not in "athlete" shape.

It would definitely help to tackle multiple things at once though! Thanks! :-)
  • emilybeansprout
    Options
    Hello! My name is Emily and I am blessed to be starting my first year teaching after 4 years of working retail while searching for a job. I know the pain, stress, and dissapointment of not being able to find a full time teaching job. IT SUCKS! I know I am lucky because I worked a job I loved the past four years while waiting, but I started becoming depressed about not teaching. My new teaching job is a PERFECT FIT though, and now all of those "no's" I heard for years finally make sense because I have heard the perfect "yes". My heart reaches out to all of you struggling with finding a teaching job.

Starting in August I will be teaching 6th geography, 7th world history, and 8th U.S. history at an Illinois Catholic grade school. We are implementing Understanding by Design (which I actually learned in college) and starting Standard Based Grading (which is new to me) so lots of newness and stress. Also, I am going through a painful divorce. I weigh more now than I ever have in my life, and I'd like to weigh about 30 pounds less soon.
  • mezzo13
    mezzo13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this group! My name is Katie and I am a 3rd year elementary school music teacher. Unfortunately, I work between two schools. My furthest school is 40 minutes away and by the end of the day I'm just absolutely exhausted! Right now since we're off for the summer I've been really really good about my food intake and I'm working out 4 days a week but I'm really not sure how I'll be able to keep it up once school starts back in August.

Anyone else wait until it's time to run out the door to pack a lunch and end up with something frozen? I also have the teacher's lounge directly across the hall and it has Reese's! On a bad behavior day, chocolate is my go-to.
  • Cedura
    Cedura Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Heather. I am working on my masters in education, and start my internship in January. I will be teaching high school English once I am finished with my program. My weight loss goal is to lose close to 100 lbs and then to also tone, and maintain healthy eating and living habits.
    I am looking for people who can be weight loss buddies through MFP, and solutions for "snacks" and meals on the go. Since I am a student, and work a full time job, its hard to pack a lunch that wont go bad, and I find I turn to fast food WAY more often than I should between work and school.