Welcome!

Options
Welcome to the dieting on low income group!

I've been struggling for years with weight loss.

I've discovered that the more processed food we eat, the more bad calories, fats, and carbs we take into our bodies. Processed foods are also the cheapest food on the market, making it hard for low income individuals or families to eat healthy.

In addition, weight loss supplements, gym memberships, and protein shakes are extremely expensive. It may be easier for individuals to make this sacrifice financially for themselves, but when there are families to provide for and other's needs to consider, it puts low income people who need to loose weight in a bind.

I created this board for people to share their ideas, their struggles, and their successes for dieting with little cash to spend on the endeavor.

Replies

• sukey07
    sukey07 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi there, I find that if I make a big pan of vegetable soup and freeze some or keep some in the fridge I can get rid of hunger pangs without doing too much damage to my calorie count or purse.

Sue x :wink:
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i look in sell ads constantly for deals. i found one store this past weekend doing 5lbs oranges for $1.30 and my local grocery store is always doing reduced produce which i always snatch up as well as reduced dairy so i can find reduced fat milk for a dollar or yogurt for half off . im just always on the look out
  • skatardrummer
    skatardrummer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I find that if I make a big pan of vegetable soup and freeze some or keep some in the fridge I can get rid of hunger pangs without doing too much damage to my calorie count or purse.

Soup, even home made, is super high in sodium though, which leads to water retention. I've done this also. The fresh, uncooked vegetables though give a lot more vitamins than cooked and are more filling. Trying to find ways to prepare them.

Omelettes are awesome. Eggs are cheap, good protein, they contain good fats, and mixing up peppers and tomatoes in them helps get me veggies in the am. skip the cheese. Yum XD
  • skatardrummer
    Options
    A friend of mine told me to check self-owned grocer and butcher shops. We have a few that are sort of far from me, but they sell large quantities of meat, fruits, and vegetables cheap because there's virtually no middle man in regards to packaging and shipping. I wish we had one a reasonable driving distance so I'm not wasting all the money I'd save on food on the gas, but another idea if anyone lives near one.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've found that if I shop the sales I can keep a relatively well stocked pantry. We have about 6 major grocery stores where I am (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada), and I usually manage to hit 2 of them every couple of weeks. You will get to know which stores have certain items on sale and at what price on a semi-regular basis. For instance, Basics often has pasta and canned tomatoes o n for 88 cents each.

When boneless, skinless chicken is on sale I stalk up, even if I have to buy the "family" packs. When I get meats home, I split them up into meal portions and toss in the freezer, so I can just pull out and defrost what I need. (Now, I live alone, although I have a son with me 1/2 time and the older daughters drop in for dinner now and again, so I like to have a good variety). I also manage to get lean or extra lean ground beef on sale now and again, which I split up in varying sizes for different uses.

I make large batches of some things such as spaghetti sauce and then freeze for later. I'm not a soup fan so that doesn't really work for me. Also, if you are making things at home, I enter the reciepes to get a general idea of serving size and caloric intake with the reciepe section of this program.

If anyone is interested I would be happy to share some of my reciepes that are healty, tasty and easy to separate into separate meals.
  • sukey07
    sukey07 Posts: 6
    Options

Soup, even home made, is super high in sodium though, which leads to water retention. I've done this also. The fresh, uncooked vegetables though give a lot more vitamins than cooked and are more filling. Trying to find ways to prepare them.

Omelettes are awesome. Eggs are cheap, good protein, they contain good fats, and mixing up peppers and tomatoes in them helps get me veggies in the am. skip the cheese. Yum XD

I make my own stock without salt so don't have the problem with too much sodium.

Sue x:wink:
  • skatardrummer
    Options

I make my own stock without salt so don't have the problem with too much sodium.

Sue x:wink:

oooo do you have a recipe?
  • jonnie7053
    jonnie7053 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We grow as many vegetables as we can. We started to grow in whatever was available, its amazing how many different things you can grow in a small space. we started to use any container that we had from the kitchen, yogurt pots etc. The amount of plants you can get from a packet of seeds is worth the money and the wait.
  • valskis
    valskis Posts: 5
    Options
    I find it extremely frustrating to buy enough healthy food to last for 2 weeks w/ only a couple of hundred to spend. I have a family of 3 and $200-$300 doesn't go a long way every 2 - 3 weeks in between grocery shopping.

I head over to one store to purchase meat, and purchase the stuff from the counter because I can pick and choose what I want. I do look for specials on produce but again it doesn't last. So yes the processed food is what there is.

I am diabetic and my doctor frustrates me because he tells me to stick to salads w/ fruits & vegies. I have explained this to him but I don't think he gets it.

As we all do we do what we can and try to eat w/ portion control. Good luck everybody and I look forward to reading posts and hoping to see some good recipes that can be cheap but healthy.

Val :happy:
  • skatardrummer
    Options
    Val, I have this issue with lettuce because it doesn't last long. Realistically, lettuce isn't all that nutritious. The vegetables are. I bought spinach yesterday instead and going to add tomatoes and cucumbers. These are cheap and it's a good variety. It lasts longer, is better for you, and if you get veggies at certain stores, they last longer too. I bought something called a salad spritzer yesterday. It was 1.28 and you can use 10 sprays for 15 calories. It's basically dressing to flavor it without all the calories. It is also supposed to get you by up to 16x more than a bottle of salad dressing. I'm going to try it out!
  • melissajayne1980
    melissajayne1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any more hints? I get about $906 from my disability pension, with $525 going to my rent. That leaves me $382 to pay bills and get groceries for the month and gas up my car. I don't like legumes. Any suggestions?