Low Fat?

Options
So I've heard a lot of things about low fat diets and vegan diets being low in fat (if you're not eating a lot of processed junk food), so I was wondering if anyone watches their fat intake here that is vegan and if they've seen results? I'm doing that and recently I've been under on my fat, not by choice, I'm just eating more foods that are natural and limiting vegan junk foods. I've heard that eating fats turns into fat in the body and stays that way unless you burn it off and since the typical american diet is so high in bad fats it's part of why people stay fat when they switch to low calorie diets because they (sometimes) don't watch the fats like cheese, dairy, eggs, ect..

To clarify, I still eat good fats like avocados and nuts and seeds. I just wanted someone else's perspective.

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am vegan since Feb 2011, and since beginning MFP, i HAVE become more conscious of my fats. currently, the only fats in my diet are from 1-2 T of healthy oils a day (coconut, olive, etc) and usually 1 serving of raw nuts.

I do not eat vegan junk food, but more because of sugar than fats. sugar triggers me to overeat, so when i first went vegan and was eating vegan ice cream, i'd end up binging on it. for me, one key to recovering from my overeating disease is to abstain completely from sugar (other than fruits, etc). even fruit juices i have drastically limited--i used to drink overly large servings of fresh juice. but that's a bit of a tangent here....

right before joining MFP, i had lost some weight (about 20 lbs) but then plateau'd for a long while. could not understand why (vegan, lots of raw, no sugar--how can this be???) Now, since starting MFP, I KNOW a large part of why i stopped losing:

Nuts and Oils!

Before MFP, I'd eat 6 or 7 servings of nuts a day, (1/4 c serving), 4 or 5 T of oils, etc.
    Now that I am on MFP, i see so clearly what i need to do. nuts are lasting so long in my cupboard now, they are going stale!!! they used to last no more than a couple days.

i cook with olive oil spray instead of always adding oil. I've lost abotu 10 lbs on MFP, in addition to the weight i already lost.
    some people eliminate added oils entirely--that's cool for them, but for me, having some added oil keeps me satisfied and happy. i will continue to do what i do unless i stop losing weight--then i may reduce oils again--not sure.

look thru my diarys to get a sense of what i do. works for me. each person finds their own way.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your insight. I don't eat many nuts. I have a serving of the maybe twice a week and it's usually almonds, walnuts or pecans. I do use chia seeds in my morning smoothies which I have 5 days a week about.

But sugar might be something to watch. I haven't really watched it but I'll see if I am eating too much of it.

I also saw in your diary that you eat Ezekiel bread. I've been wanting to try it but I'm not sure what it is exactly, is it good? Like regular wheat bread or is the texture different?
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    ezekiel bread certainly has a different texture--it is much more fibery, rough, and hearty. i like it a lot, since it can be so hard to find vegan breads, and most bread is processed too much to be worth any nutrients. i say, try it!

chia seeds are awesome. another example of how MFP has made the difference for me: before MFP, i was using about 4-5 T of chia seeds a day, which really adds up. now, i keep it to 1 or 2 T.
    sounds strange, but i can overeat even the healthiest foods when i am not aware of portions. that's why MFP is great for me---it can be so confusing to be a "healthy" vegan and yet still not lose...now i see that quantity is just as important as quality.

as far as sugar, just see how it goes. like i said, fruit is fine for me. i even eat pure maple syrup sometimes on bread, oatmeal, etc.
    my main downfall is my "trigger foods"--foods that trigger me to overeat by making me want more and more. ice cream, cakes, cookies...for better or worse, there are tons of vegan versions of these now, and i stay away from all of it. i am glad it is there for other vegans, but i am much happier without it. a year ago, i was eating a small container of soy ice cream every night--it was almost impossible to stop myself.

now that it is not in my system and i have clear boundaries about it, i never even want it. for me, sugar is like that. like booze to an alcoholic.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I follow a low-fat diet. Specifically I follow "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes." It's a low-fat, plant-based, whole foods diet that emphasizes low-glycemic foods. It has really helped me lose weight and control my blood sugar.

I try to limit myself to 20g of fat a day. I don't add fat to anything really, but some always sneaks in. I also limit high-fat plant foods, as well as plant foods with saturated fat. I'm not as diligent as I could be, but I do try.
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm always trying to increase fat (within reason) and protein while lowering carbs. I find a hell of a lot more success that way... but that's just me :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I'm always trying to increase fat (within reason) and protein while lowering carbs. I find a hell of a lot more success that way... but that's just me :)

I tried that. Just gained weight from it lol
  • Vegansweetie19
    Options
    What do you eat that is so low in fat? I eat salads and smoothies like every other vegan, but I'm allergic to nuts so I don't eat those anyway. I'm REALLY struggling getting a low-fat, vegan diet. Suggestions?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    What do you eat that is so low in fat? I eat salads and smoothies like every other vegan, but I'm allergic to nuts so I don't eat those anyway. I'm REALLY struggling getting a low-fat, vegan diet. Suggestions?

I eat a lot of beans (black and pinto) and they're low in fat so maybe that's it. I also eat qunioa which is pretty low in fat. Is there something in particular you're eating that you've noticed is high in fat? It might be as simple as one or two things you eat a day that's high in fat.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Most, though not all, unprocessed vegan foods are naturally low in fat. As long as you avoid packaged and prepared food (still a problem for me) you'll avoid a lot of fat.
  • mamaskully
    mamaskully Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am only in day 14 of trying to go vegan and I am finding that some vegan foods such as vegan butter is loaded with fat. If I eat peanut butter that puts me into high fat. On the days when i had cooked tofu in a small amount of olive oil with onions and peppers I was ok. I am trying to eat more fruit and vegetables and rely on luna bars if I'm on the run. I can't digest nuts so I don't eat those. I am doing this alone so any advise would be good. Also I can't eat raw veggies for digestive reasons so everything has to be steamed or cooked very soft. My main concern is the fat count.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I generally eat low fat and actually struggle to make sure I'm getting enough fats. So I've started adding more avocado and nuts to my diet. I eat a lot of beans, fruits and veggies.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Since going vegan, it has been challenging to not go over on fat intake. Fats and sugars have both been hard infact. Last night I tried cooking veggies in vegetable broth instead of oil, which I think I will stick to. I also think nuts are the major culprit for my fat intake. I eat maybe 1/5 to 1/4 of an avocado almost everyday, a tablespoon or two of peanut butter, and some nuts. I've been on a little olive and stuffed grape leave kick, as they were in my fridge, so I've had them as snacks the past week and that really brought the fat levels up. I think as long as I'm more careful with the nuts and oils I should be okay.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would actually consider myself a high-fat vegan :-/ (actually I recently started eating grass fed butter so I am not strictly vegan, but I don't eat other animal products). Fat is my favorite macro. I get about 45-50% of calories from it, mainly because I am trying to limit protein to reasonable levels and feel better on lower carbs.

For the low fat crew, what is your macro breakdown? Mine is about 10/45/45 (protein/carbs/fat).

I eat a fair amount of nuts, peanut butter, and avocado, salad dressing with oil, and a little bit of coconut oil (and butter) (and baking chocolate). These are all considered "good fats", except the butter and coconut oil, but I think those are up for debate. I'm curious why you would try to limit fat -- from what I have read, carbs are stored as body fat more readily than fat is, and the "good fats" in general are considered healthy. I should add that I am at maintenance at the moment, so am pretty much eating what I am expending.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    My breakdown is about 60% carbs and 20% each of fat and protein. I've had 10% fat days but i work to keep it higher. It actually takes the body a lot of work to store carbs as fat and the body prefers carbs as energy, not sure why someone would say otherwise. In a calorie deficit though your body shouldn't be storing fat anyway.

I prefer to eat beans, lentils and fruit which are all low fat. I did add chia seeds in when I realized my fat levels were pretty low and I try to add avocado when I can. Other than whatever processed foods I eat that may have higher amounts of fat, chia seeds are really the only fats I add regularly.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    My breakdown is about 60% carbs and 20% each of fat and protein. I've had 10% fat days but i work to keep it higher. It actually takes the body a lot of work to store carbs as fat and the body prefers carbs as energy, not sure why someone would say otherwise. In a calorie deficit though your body shouldn't be storing fat anyway.

I prefer to eat beans, lentils and fruit which are all low fat. I did add chia seeds in when I realized my fat levels were pretty low and I try to add avocado when I can. Other than whatever processed foods I eat that may have higher amounts of fat, chia seeds are really the only fats I add regularly.

Yeah -- I guess I thought it had to do with carbs being more insulinogenic and insulin being lipogenic (ie it promotes fat storage). It's true that the actual conversion of dietary fat to stored fat would take less energy than the conversion of carbs to stored fat. But I agree, most people here are at a negative energy balance so it shouldn't be an issue.

I just don't like to see fat vilified because I don't think there's any evidence that a moderate fat diet (ie 20-35%), especially if from non-animal fats, is unhealthy, but to each their own.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    I don't think eating low fat vilifies fat, it is just what many people find works best for them. I also have a history of gall stones so a high fat die would be bad for me.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    alot of people suggested I go low carb but that didn't work for me when I wasn't on a vegan diet. I doubt it would now and I think it'd be a bit tricky. I also tended to binge eat more doing low carb and felt crappy from not eating enough carbs. I am doing good on low fat right now. I have lost a 1lb, in addition to exercise. I keep fats to be avocados, chia seeds and peanut butter and occassionally daiya but I use it maybe once a week.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    1500 or less daily, 1800 or more on bad days.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    I'm not sure how much you have to lose but 1500 sounds like a good amount. How many bad days are you having? How sure are you about the 1500? Do you use a kitchen scale? How is your exercise level? Have you been measuring yourself and are you losing inches?

I know it is tough some times to do everything right and not see any movement. I went 3 months at one point with no weight loss. It was very frustrating but then all of a sudden, I lost 10 lbs overnight.