What's the longest you've gone...?

Options
kamakazeekim
kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
My baby was born this past November and I still haven't had a period. Before having him I was averaging 3 periods a year (I did go a whole year before without one). When I do get them they are excruciatingly painful and the flow is so heavy that at times I'll soak through both a super plus tampon and a pad in just over an hour. They tend to last about 2 weeks with the first week being crazy painful and heavy and then the second week being what I can only imagine what is considered normal for other women.

I'm on birth control and the endocrinologist kept telling me that should be regulating it (obviously it's not!)

What have your experiences been? Do other people go that long in between periods? Is PCOS the reason why they are so heavy and painful?

Replies

• purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Is PCOS the reason why they are so heavy and painful?

Most likely, yes. The most common symptom of PCOS is irregular or missed periods. And then when they do come, they're a b*tch.

I usually only have 3 - 4 periods a year. When I do, I'm loading up on muscle relaxers.

Edit to say: Once you start getting your PCOS under control, you should see your periods start to regulate.
  • jeweloflibra77
    jeweloflibra77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The longest I went without my period was 6 months. I had two successful pregnancies 14 and 9 years ago. I developed PCOS around 4 years ago. I can only assume due to poor eating habits and little activity I developed PCOS. No idea. My body is that of someone 20+ years older than me (34). I've had my gall bladder out, developed PCOS, had a uterine prolapse which lead to a hysterectomy, and I still have issues to be fixed. I really have no option but to get serious about my health for not only my sake, but for my kids. Wishing you all the best.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The longest I've gone is 9 months while pregnant. Other times I would get it 4-7 weeks apart. Never were really heavy or missing just sporadic. On bc now and they are pretty much every 30-35 days.
  • msclara
    msclara Posts: 10
    Options
    It makes me nervous because I have only had 1 this year.... I think it's the fact that I am so heavy too...
  • kmbw2011
    kmbw2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The longest I've gone has been a year and a half, then I bled for six months straight (this was right before I was diagnosed).
  • TraeP
    TraeP Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Mine were sporadic but I have gone like 2-3 months with out. But since I had my baby 3 yrs ago they have been coming every month and painful some months heavier than other and then some easy but they come every month now. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18.
  • melmur3
    melmur3 Posts: 2
    Options
    The longest I've gone was eight months because I stopped taking Metformin, Spiro, and BC. When I finally went to the OBGYN, she gave me a ten day course of progesterone to induce a period, and booked an appointment with an endocrinologist for me. The endo put me on 2000mg Metformin, which tore my stomach to pieces, so on the advice of the OBGYN and endo, I backed off to 1500mg. With the combination of metformin, diet, and exercise, I've been steadily losing weight at a healthy rate. My period has *almost* regulated itself, and I feel better than I have felt since I first started exhibiting signs of PCOS 16 years ago.
    If you haven't talked recently to your doc, my advice is to do that. If you have, and you don't feel that they are helping or hearing your concerns, my advice is to find a new doc. I went through four gynecologists before I found one that would listen to my PCOS concerns (she has PCOS too, which helps).
    Good luck!
  • Leggo1288
    Leggo1288 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The longest I've gone was close to a year. And the one I had was provera induced.
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Man i wish I could go that long with out I seem to always at least have spotting at least 2 times a week im lucky if i can go 3 days with out. ):
  • Pooh1981
    Pooh1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The longest I have gone without is 2 years! I didn't miss it at all but it scared the crap out of me at first because I was like where did it go and then I forgot about it for a while went to the dr. was prescribed something don't remember what now(was 8 yrs. ago) and put be on bc when bc tore me up I quit taking it. Have started having one again recently and I am hoping it is because I have lost some weight haven't changed anything else but eating habits and more exercise! But now that I have started again it is not nearly as painful as I remember it being either!
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Right before being diagnosed I had gone 9-10 months without getting my period. Now, if I go over 3 months, my doctor gives me provera to force it. I was told it is unhealthy to not have it at least every 3 months because there can be a build up, so taking the provera essentially "flushes it out".
  • npeeks22
    npeeks22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The longest I've gone without a period has beed about 6-7 months. Me and birth control pills have a hate, hate relationship. I first started taking them because my period had been on for about 3 weeks. The pills made my period go off and come on a month later. I stopped taking them because they were a hassel to remember. I started taking them a year later after becoming sexually active and not having a period for 6 month. My period lasted 22 days! It seemed as if the pills made my flow heavier. That episode happened twice, so now I don't take birth control pills at all.
  • runamuck67
    runamuck67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Before being diagnose I would go about 6 to 8 month. With meds I have been pretty regular until just recently
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My baby was born this past November and I still haven't had a period. Before having him I was averaging 3 periods a year (I did go a whole year before without one). When I do get them they are excruciatingly painful and the flow is so heavy that at times I'll soak through both a super plus tampon and a pad in just over an hour. They tend to last about 2 weeks with the first week being crazy painful and heavy and then the second week being what I can only imagine what is considered normal for other women.

I'm on birth control and the endocrinologist kept telling me that should be regulating it (obviously it's not!)

What have your experiences been? Do other people go that long in between periods? Is PCOS the reason why they are so heavy and painful?

I didn't get my period all through highschool, got it a couple times when in jr high and then it stopped! This was before PCOS was really known, and I was just told you need to lose weight and it will come back. I was losing weight and then it just stopped! Jerks, they didn't know the answer so they just assumed. When I was 20 I went to an endocrinologist and she diagnosed me with PCOS right away. I started lowering my carbs, and alas my period came on its own! But then it wouldn't go away! So she eventually put me on the pill to regulate my period and she also told me it shrinks the cysts. So this definitely helped me get a period, but i have been very lucky in not having many side effects in regards to the period. They are still pretty light, the only symptom i do get sometimes is bad cramps. And one other bad side effect was big cysts, super painful when they rupture :(

maybe your dose isn't high enough or too high?
  • simplysonya
    simplysonya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What's Spiro?
  • blondemom1979
    blondemom1979 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was two years with no period once. It came back with a vengeance one morning and I had to go to the clinic, turned out I was having a miscarriage. I haven't gone that long since but a few months does go by sometimes even 6. I started metformine but it makes me so lightheaded and shakey I had to stop.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    What's Spiro?

Spiro is short of Spironalactone. It is used for unwanted hair growth and it is also a diuretic. I have been using it for over a year and see such a big difference. Still have the hair growth, but it grows slower and not as heavy.
  • glitteringloke
    Options
    I was mostly regular at 5-6 weeks UNTIL i was put on spiro (which i don't really see any positive effects from, hair wise - and my pill smell and taste minty). Now i'm getting a lot of false alarms, I'll go at least 8 weeks, and it was already painful, now it's like a slasher movie being filmed in my uterus when it does come around. I see my endocrinologist next month, I'm wondering if I should stop the spiro and maybe try BC....
  • usfirefly
    usfirefly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My period got pretty regular once I started exercising. But if I slack It is gone again, it really seems to depent on my activity and my exercises done. I have it pretty regular every month now, but the longest I have been without was I think 8 month.
  • Daystar13
    Daystar13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The longest I've gone without a period was a year- all of 2011. I've had irregular periods since I was a teenager, so for a long time I thought it was normal, until I found out about PCOS. I have many of the symptoms, but no insurance to see a professional to say yay or nay on a diagnosis. In the meantime, I've been taking Evening Primrose for female balance, dropped about 46lbs, more vitamins, and I've managed to have two periods in a row for august and september. We'll see about October...