Metformin??

Options
Hey Im glad to be part of this group! I do have a question I hope you all can help with...I was already blessed with a daughter when I was 20 (now 24)...and she packed the pounds on me (70 to be exact!). Now 4 years later Im still struggling to lose the weight. My doc has put me on metformin because I told him hubby and I are wanting to have another baby. I started taking it today, is this a good method to losing weight and getting healthy to restore my cycle and conceive? Give me some tips/experiances you have dealt with!

Replies

• jenny2steps
    jenny2steps Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used it in combination of other fertility meds and was blessed with 3 kids. I have never taken it specifically for wt loss, but have recently restarted it to help with that and other symptoms. Good luck to you!
  • sck2008
    sck2008 Posts: 79
    Options
    Thank you much. We are very excited to get started, and I feel great taking it. Im not having any side effects (yet) and Im not as hungry as I usually am.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I did a whole project on PCOS for my Human Endocrinology course. Metformin has extreme positive effects on fertility. The odds are in your favor for conceiving. If you have to take fertility treatments too, it looks very good for you. You're lucky about the side-effects, they still plague me so much. Sometimes I wonder if the side-effects is what helped me with the initial weight loss.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I started using Met purely for the weight loss benefits. It's helped me tremendously and I don't know where I'd be without it. Taking it also helped me to get a normal cycle (perhaps because of the weight loss it helped with?). I was able to conceive while casually taking metformin. It could prove to be very promising for you, but everyone is different.
  • sydvenus
    sydvenus Posts: 12
    Options
    How long were you on Metformin before getting your period?