Miami Ordinance Adults w/o Kids May Not Use Playgrounds

Options
Miami Beach has passed an ordinace that anyone over 18, who does not have a child in their care at the time, is prohibited from using any of the 19 play grounds in that jurisdiction. This includes simply sitting at the play ground. The idea behind this is that play grounds attract predators & by limitinga ccess to only children, or adults accompanied by a child, this will make it safer for them. (see link below)
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/No-Grown-Ups-Allowed-at-Miami-Beach-Playgrounds-99774289.html

What do you think? Is this a good idea? Will it deter child predators? Is it violating tax-payers rights to having full access to all amenities in public parks?

Replies

• lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    See what happens when you have Obama as president??!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It's silly. 1) Almost all of time, when a child is abused or abducted, it is by someone they know who is in a position of power over them (parents, caretakers, teachers, sports coaches), and NOT by a random stranger. 2) I like going on the swings!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I understand for some reasons. Adults can damage equipment meant for smaller bodies and probably SHOULDN'T be on the equipment. Also, predators..

Then again, just sitting on a bench or something should be allowed. Sometimes my boss or I will walk to a local park on lunch and sit and read or something. Just to get some fresh air out of the office.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't live in Miami Beach. I'd have to challege that ordinance.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    More regulations that do absolutely nothing but further restrict freedoms of the people. I'm sure the Miami taxpayers are thrilled that their elected officials are wasting valuable resources with such nonsense. Let's see how well this new law works for their community.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    This sounds like something that will have a backlash. One of those "started with a good idea but got out of hand" type of instances.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm good with as long as it's part of an overall plan to bring back summary executions and shoot on sight laws.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    It sounds like an election year policy put in place to make someone look good for their base.

Of course, it's a horrible idea. People are allowed to enjoy watching kids play on a playground and it doesn't make them predators. Statistically, I'd guess that predators would make up a rather small number of the adults at playgrounds. I suppose it would depend on the playground and how busy the area is, etc.

Let's even forget that it isn't justified, I question how effective it would actually be. Instead of predators trying to look for kids at playgrounds, maybe they'd start looking for kids just outside the playground. I wonder if this actually addresses predatory behavior. I don't know enough about the subject, but laws like this are frequently the result of what someone thinks of as common sense, but the real world actually functions differently.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's silly. 1) Almost all of time, when a child is abused or abducted, it is by someone they know who is in a position of power over them (parents, caretakers, teachers, sports coaches), and NOT by a random stranger. 2) I like going on the swings!

^^^^ Both of these.

ETA: I agree that this seems more like a "good intentioned" ordinance that will not actually deter anyone but law-abiding and non-child predator people from enjoying the park. I didn't know that watching kids play was an indicator of who is a predator and who is not.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Instead of restricting access to the park, they should instead make it mandatory that all children in attendence be monitored by a parent, teacher, guardian, or family member over 18. And if a child is caught misbehaving, pushing or hitting another child, the police should be able to check the attending adults cell phone and see if they were busy texting or surfing the net when their little angel was terrorizing other kids. If they were using the cell at the time, the parent of the child who was hurt should be able to drop kick the absentee parent in the throat.

Adrian 2012, because you're the reason we suck.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Instead of restricting access to the park, they should instead make it mandatory that all children in attendence be monitored by a parent, teacher, guardian, or family member over 18. And if a child is caught misbehaving, pushing or hitting another child, the police should be able to check the attending adults cell phone and see if they were busy texting or surfing the net when their little angel was terrorizing other kids. If they were using the cell at the time, the parent of the child who was hurt should be able to drop kick the absentee parent in the throat.

Adrian 2012, because you're the reason we suck.

Ha! My biggest issue is the trashy parents at the city park who gather in their pajamas and chain smoke 5 feet from the playground equipment and throw their butts on the playground.

Seriously, I am a smoker and I wouldn't smoke on a playground with my kid around and leave my burning cigarette where kids are running and playing. I wouldn't wear pj's to the park either....
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm good with as long as it's part of an overall plan to bring back summary executions and shoot on sight laws.

HAHAHA!!! This....
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The first thing I thought on reading this was that it will be used to move on adults who are using the park inappropriately. Especially at night.

For instance, people partying and leaving broken glass around, lovers leaving used prophylactics, drug users leaving syringes, etc. All those 'adult' things parents don't want laying about a playground.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The first thing I thought on reading this was that it will be used to move on adults who are using the park inappropriately. Especially at night.

For instance, people partying and leaving broken glass around, lovers leaving used prophylactics, drug users leaving syringes, etc. All those 'adult' things parents don't want laying about a playground.

Usually, there are other laws that already cover that (tresspassing, as most parks close at a certain time; littering; public lewdness or whatever; the War on Drugs).

No, the entire purpose of this is to appease the paranoid suburban soccer mom types who seem to be convinced that everyone is out to get their perfect little angel. This is far from the only instance of things like this, and it goes hand in hand with the growing idea that "all men are evil child predators and any man who is interacting with a child must be out to get them."

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/outrage-of-the-week-chess-players-ticketed-for-being-near-playground/
    http://www.theagitator.com/2012/08/08/no-men-or-even-boys-over-age-9-allowed-at-indoor-playground-via-free-range-kids/
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6453268/Council-bans-parents-from-play-areas.html
    http://www.citylimits.org/blog/blog/134/playground-ban-can-make-it-hard-to-make-new-york-your-gym
    http://keysnews.com/node/41145 (This one actually makes sense, as it's a gated playground designed for small children, but it's one of the few cases that does make sense.)

(Though, on a different, though somewhat related note, someone decided to build an "adult playground," which looks pretty cool - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/nyregion/new-york-introduces-its-first-adult-playground.html?pagewanted=all )
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    (Though, on a different, though somewhat related note, someone decided to build an "adult playground," which looks pretty cool - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/nyregion/new-york-introduces-its-first-adult-playground.html?pagewanted=all )

That's freakin cool! Before it was turned into that, my highschool football team practiced there on the weekends. It was a track and softball fields and other things. It also used to be a very rough part of NYC. Doesn't look so anymore.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Makes sense, sad to say. Predators, drug dealers, and bored oversized kids breaking playground equipment makes it unsafe for children to play there.

Of course that won't solve all the problems, plenty of predators, drug dealers, and oversized kids are under 18.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Really? So Miami law enforcement has enough funds and time and other resources to police the public parks? This seems like an unenforceable law to me.

The only way predators at parks are a threat is when parents allow their children to play at a public park unsupervised.

Sounds like stupid season in the legal realms again.

-Debra
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I like to play on the swings. :cry:

Honestly though, enforcing rules for "if you're big enough to break our ****, stay off of it" sounds better than "Everyone over 18 is probably a child molester."
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Honestly though, enforcing rules for "if you're big enough to break our ****, stay off of it" sounds better than "Everyone over 18 is probably a child molester."

I agree. I want to be able to swing!

And, I agree with the other part too. The whole thing about adults might be breaking the equipment doesn't make since to me either. If I had a kid, I would be on the equipment with them anyway.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

I agree. I want to be able to swing!

And, I agree with the other part too. The whole thing about adults might be breaking the equipment doesn't make since to me either. If I had a kid, I would be on the equipment with them anyway.

Oops. I was definitely vague in what I said--I definitely agree that parents should be on, if able, or at least near kids of certain ages to ensure safety. I meant more like...18-year-olds acting like baboons on PCP should be told to GTFO the bouncy rides. :smile: