need some advice

Options
So with my husbands schedule/kids schedule, my running time has been moved to either 2200 or 0400. Either way its dark outside. I've been working on a new route but there is not a lot of street lights or lighting in general. Part of it is thru a park/forest. It ranges from gravel, grass, sidewalks, to road that I cross. I'm okay with it but when its dark I get nervous I'm going to trip/fall/get hurt. Does anyone go running in the dark with a light? Do you just chose a different path? I really like this route and would rather stick with it. Any advice? TIA

Replies

• gpyles
    gpyles Posts: 4
    Options
    I use the Black Diamond light: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Headlamp-Ultra-White/dp/B005FND24S/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1344523842&sr=1-14&keywords=black+diamond+light

Even though it says it is a 'head lamp' the strap that came with it can pull out large enough to go around my waist so I use it as a 'waist light'. I bought it at the local running store after seeing others wear it around the waist. It is very bright so it really lights your path well.

Can also adjust the level of the brightness or even change it to a red reflector type light and point backwards so others can see you better.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When it's pitch black outside I use one of the Petzl LED headlamps (even running on city streets - makes it easier for cars to see me). I felt a little goofy wearing it at first but got over that very quickly.

Very bright and good battery life (I prefer the ones with rechargeable batteries - the newer ones recharge via USB cable).
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't change my route when running in the dark. I think the familiarity of the path is a bonus. I do use a PETZL headlamp too. Works great & not very expensive. Good luck!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I also use a headlamp when running in the dark, and flashing armbands to make myself nice and visible to cars.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I love my runs at night. I found a very lite light that I hang off of my rubbrer band bracelet. I turn it on if I see traffic or cyotes. I agree if you are familiar with your running path stay on it. I use a carry pack with mace and a 2 shot hand gun. I only use one ear bud so I can hear my enviroment. Stay safe and have fun. Oh deepwoods off for the bugs a must in Florida. :smile:
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i went to a bike store and got some bike lights. i clip a flashing one onto the back of my cap, and clip another bright LED light onto my waistband. i also run a familiar route, but i try to make sure that i run on streets with lighting (i'm a city girl). i only run with one earbud in. and i often take my dog, even though she's a pain in the *kitten*. but she makes me feel safer.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I run on post only. But thank you guys. I stole one of my husbands issued headlights and wore it around my waist. It worked. :) I got to run my favorite path. Thanks!