What's your routine the day before your long runs?

Options
I'm curious what everyone does the day before your long run... Do you knock out a short run the day prior or rest? And what's your diet like that day? Carb up? Healthy or not so healthy?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what everyone does the day before your long run... Do you knock out a short run the day prior or rest? And what's your diet like that day? Carb up? Healthy or not so healthy?

I do my long run on Sundays and Saturday is always a quality workout with hills or tempo work - 8+ miles

eating - my go to pre LR and pre race meal is chipotle
  • sfic1
    sfic1 Posts: 31
    Options
    This is my first marathon and its comiing up in less than 10 weeks, I dont usually dont do anything special the day b4 my long runs, I fiqure thatif it aint broke dont fix it... I did a half last yr and i followed a similar protocal and it worked so imm trying it again. I don't like to change much especiallly if its working. As for doing shorter run, I usually go for a 45 to 60 min brisk walk the day b4 that way it keep my joint lubed. What i do like to do the day of is use Gatoraide and gu 15-20 b4 i start and then again a package of gu every 45-1 hr. That seems to work for me. Im a farley healthy eater so nothing special on that. Gd luck on your next race....
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I generally do cross training (bike or elliptical) the day before to keep loose. will occasionally do a short run. I make no significant changes in days before a long run. But I will rest the day (or two) before a race and will consume more carbs than normal in those days as well. I saw someone else mention Chipotle - love their burrito bowls or baked potatoes/pasta.

I don't have food issues - so I generally eat oatmeal with banana, honey and peanut butter before my long runs and have Sport Beans every 45 min-hour during the run. During races and club runs, I also will take gatorade/powerade as offered.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I drink plenty of water the day before and do an easy 2-3 mile run.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Sleep. Hydrate. Hydrate.

The day before a long run are my main priorities. I am in training for a marathon and our coaches have us take a rest day/ x-train day on the day before our long run.

I also try to get some extra high quality carbs in the night before.

Sleep and hydration are the most important for me though.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I do 10K on Friday and my long run on Saturday. Usually have breakfast for supper Friday night (pancakes or muffins). Nothing too different from any other day.
  • cybershaz
    cybershaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I don't do too much differently. I am generally hydrating well everyday. My long runs are usually Sundays and Saturday are often busy running-around days so no time for specific exercise but I'm moving all day. Bad habit is often going out Sat night and drinking too much wine. That does not help with long runs :)
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Typically no run on the day prior, but I do try to get a one-hour yoga class in, and of course some wheat pasta early evening.
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i long run as early as possible saturday mornings.

friday is the one and only day i don't exercise. i do walk 2 miles to and from work though.
    and i have a good hearty energy filled lunch on friday too. something like mashed potatoes? nothing fried ever. and i'm just not a pasta person cuz it tends to make me feel super starving later while other carbs don't as much.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My daily routine doesn't change much. I hydrate like crazy every day and try to eat a well balanced diet with plenty of carbs and protein. I will avoid food items that I have experienced stomach issues with, like Mexican (I like it REALLY hot). I get as much sleep as I do on any other day, usually between 6 and 7 hours. As far as running is concerned. The day before could be anything from an easy run of 6 miles to 10 miles with some quality thrown in (strides, tempo, cruise intervals).
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'll make sure i drink plenty of water, and i'll start taking immodium in the morning (if i don't i get awful stomach cramps on a long run). i'll usually do a 5k or 45 mins on the xt just to keep moving, and because i know the day after my long run is always a rest day for me. i'll eat something carby, filling and mild (like sushi) for lunch. i avoid fruits and veg, but eat protein. before bed, i'll have another 500mls water and a few immodium. i run early, so i'll get up on long run day at about 430-5am, take lots of immodium, drink more water, eat 2 boiled eggs then go.
  • FatAssBecky
    FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use to rest the day before a long run, but this time around, I'm finding that I like to pump out a few miles. I'm going to do 15 miles tomorrow but will do a light 3-4 miles tonight. I'm late at getting out there today. I used to rest the day after as well - but again - I do 3 or 4 miles the day after. Just jives with me at this point of my life.

I try to eat healthy and carb heavy the day before - but I'm a really horrible eater and looking to change it (main reason I'm on MFP). For instance, today I ate Lucky Charms and Ramen Noodles....but I'm going to eat a homemade chicken chili for dinner. Taking small steps - and I know that if I eat healthier all the time, I'll be a better runner/athlete but my stomach and desires do not always jive with what I know is right. :)
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do my long runs on Saturday morning. Friday is the one day that I don't exercise at all.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday I'm heavier on carbs and hydrating. After the run, I'm heavier on protein and recovery.
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love reading everyone's input! Thank you! I will usually do some light cross training the day prior. And avoid eating anything too spicy. Hydrate well during the day. And early to bed. Sounds kind of boring! lol :) Good luck to everyone!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have to say it really surprises me how many people take the day off before a long run. Doing a quality workout the day before is great training for your race. Will the quality of your long run decrease,...maybe the first couple of weeks but there is no substitute for the mental and physical training of doing a long run on tired legs.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS run the day before my long runs. For marathon training you need to learn to run (and run well) on tired legs. IMHO resting before you run long is the wrong way to achieve that.

Food-wise nothing special other than trying avoid that which will upset my stomach. Lots of water as well.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    The day before my long runs I'll do a long hard bike ride, currently anywhere between 80 and 100 miles.
    Everything else pretty much what everyone else said. I try to eat normally and hydrate well.

Eta: doing this also helps me to slow my pace down on my long run days as well. Otherwise i'll try to run it too fast.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I usually do my long runs on Sunday and the training plan I've followed for my last 2 half marathons has me running an easy 5 to 8 km the day before.

As a creature of habit I usually have pasta & chicken or spaghetti on Saturday so no real changes there.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I try to run the day before my long runs, usually 5-6 miles. Sometimes I couldnt always get them in. Otherwise I would workout what meals were good that didnt cause me any problems on the run the next day, and as stated, hydrate well. I also started playing around with drinking concentrated gatorade to top off before going to bed. Seemed to give me plenty of energy thru my long runs as I dont eat before them and take very little to no gels.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll do a light run and/or strength train. I try to hydrate well throughout the week. And, I found my new pre-long run fuel: ramen, not the kind you buy packaged at the store, but I found an awesome Japanese hole in the wall that makes really good, authentic stuff. I am not a big starch or carbs person but I'll have the noodles and sodium. It makes for an awesome run.