Eat vegan-then get sensitive to dairy?

Options
marathon64
marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
I have been moving toward a vegan diet and recently decided to try to go totally vegan for 30 days. This has been going on for about 10 days. Today I decided to get a small soft serve ice cream cone (dairy) and a few hours later I developed terrible bloating and stomach cramps. Do you think my body could be developing a dairy sensitivity? This is NOT FUN

Replies

• michele_elizabeth
    michele_elizabeth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    definitely! i went vegan a few months ago - just cold turkey-ed everything animal related. i've felt great and i've been doing a really good job not "cheating." over the weekend, i ordered a pasta dish at a restaurant and they forgot to hold the cheese. i figured "what the heck" and dove in; TERRIBLE choice. the dairy tore up my stomach for hours - and ice cream and cheese used to be two of my favorite treats. although i am not sure about the scientific facts, i think your body has definitely adapted to a diet without dairy. soy ice cream and coconut ice cream are WONDERFUL though, you should try them!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yep. I stopped eating dairy a few months ago due to intolerance, but I've had cheese twice since then. The first time I just ended up dizzy with a bit of a stomach ache (same reaction as before cutting it out) 2 months later, (today) I had less then 1/8 cup of cheese on some pizza and I had terrible stomach pains within the hour. I'm sure I'll still be paying for it tomorrow. I'll never be eating dairy again.
  • carebearhere
    carebearhere Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yep, same as above. Was vegan for three years, went overseas to a country where I didn't speak the language, so was vegetarian while I was there - the first few days were torturous, but you redevelop your tolerance. I assume it's the lactose, either way, it's a good incentive not to cheat XD
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    YES! I've been eating a plant-based diet since May of this year. I've had cheese a few times since then (couldn't resist pizza or ice cream), each time same result. The salad I ate for lunch yesterday was pre-made and had Parmesan cheese mixed in. My stomach gurgled and felt unsettled for hours. It also gives me a terrible headache.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I cut out dairy because it was giving me headaches and every time I have a little bit they come right back with full force. Totally not worth it. On the plus side, most fancier ice cream places like cold stone or frozen yogurt bars have sorbet or non dairy options. :-) I had the most delicious non-fat, non-dairy berry sorbet at Ben & Jerry's last night - didn't miss ice cream at all!
  • coutrn
    coutrn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I've been Vegan for 12 weeks now, I feel great. I decided to go vegan after I could no longer have dairy due to it giving me severe respiratory complications. No meat and no dairy for 12 weeks! Needless to say, if I have any dairy I immediately have to go to see my MD for med's and nebulizer treatments.
  • coutrn
    coutrn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Michele,
    I totally agree. Although, I can only have a few spoonfuls of the coconut and almond ice cream. They are very good. I love the vegan cheese too, as I am able to eat some meals with cheese, i.e ( my lasagna).:smile:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I've been Vegan for 12 weeks now, I feel great. I decided to go vegan after I could no longer have dairy due to it giving me severe respiratory complications. No meat and no dairy for 12 weeks! Needless to say, if I have any dairy I immediately have to go to see my MD for med's and nebulizer treatments.

I never connected the two before, but after giving up dairy my asthma and allergies have completely disappeared! Glad I'm not alone on this. :smile:
  • sriraw
    sriraw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I heard that your body stops producing the enyme to break down dairy sugars after a while of not eating dairy. If true, this could be why.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I don't think this would happen after only 10 days. Just my opinion. In fact most people are lactose intolerant to some extent, maybe now you just realize it since it's been out of your system so long? I just thought you were suppose to feel like **** after eating dairy. It wasn't until I stopped eating it I realized that something was up. Of course, I also realized later that it was the cause of my chronic sinus issues.
  • sdai3
    sdai3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yeah, how much does that suck? Haha I once ate what i'm assuming had to of been real sour cream in a restaurant who told me three times it was vegan and before we left I looked and felt like I was nine months pregnant I was so bloated. It was the worst i've ever felt honestly. Made myself throw up 3-4 times to try to relieve it. Not all that fun. Just more incentive to give it up!
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know that pain all to well. The sad part is that it doesnt stop me sometimes. I also get eczema too when I eat dairy. I have been vegan for 7 months and the longer I go, the more the reactions and sensitivities to the dairy come out.