What do settled down ppl do for fun?

Options
MercedesV
MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
I noticed there hasn't been much activitiy so I thought I would introduce a light topic. What do you all do for fun? Settled down doesn't mean dead! What is a fun exercise you love doing ( I need help here)? What do you do for fun on the weekends? That kinda stuff.

I love spending time with my family. It's usually around food. We got a Kinect but don't use it like we swore we would. I like going on walks but it's cold in CO. I'm joining a rec center and they have free classes. Hopefully I like them. I signed up for Zumba begining January. I'm kinda lame, I like watching Breaking Bad for fun. I need to redefine my idea of fun!

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    We do tons of cool stuff. We are settled down without kids by the way. They are like almost a decade off still yet with school and all.

We totally do the video game thing. I have my World of Warcraft and he has his offline games like Skyrim. We also enjoy movies... I'm not very good with gory stuff so we watch a lot of history documentaries and science type stuff. Or even good old Frasier/Monk.

I also have been cooking a different meal every night that we eat together and either enjoy or never do again.

As far as recreation goes because I'm sure now it sounds like I don't do any moving ... We do a ton of walking. We are moving to the University campus in a couple weeks which comes a long with a membership to their rec center so we will be utilizing the gym.

Also we enjoy theater, symphony, the sports bar for drinks (1 lol...), time with our friends gaming or just bsing, an occasional coffee shop, and also spend time with our family hanging out.

Even though it might be obligatory we also are religious together and attend mass on a regular basis.

You can window shop ... I enjoy William Senoma and other furniture type stores. The mall is a great place to just goof around. Or pick a random park and check out what it has to offer. I've even been bored enough to walk around the high school track!

I plan on attending basketball and football games on campus as well when we start getting tickets. (I am transfering mid semester in case you are wondering).

I really think people are missing out that aren't settled down as they have to go blow tons of money at a smokey bar or pool table or some dingy party to find people to hang out with. With someone you are with almost all the time you can really get some activities going!

I've even been simple and done board games, card games, and paint/art craft type stuff. Even setting up Christmas stuff is more fun together then alone.

Sorry this is long... I guess I am best friends with my husband and can't think of everything we do together. I hope this gives ideas to those that are looking. :wink:
  • MercedesV
    Options
    I love all of your ides. It's funny because a lot of them don't cost that much. funny how the funnest things can be free. I love the window shopping idea because it gets the legs moving and it serves as free inspiration for how to decorate the house!!
  • may2490
    may2490 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We have two little kids so we are pretty busy. I have found that my idea of "fun" has changed a bit lol

We tend to go to the Park down the street and walk around it a couple of times, sometimes with the kids and sometimes without. We go out on occasion, but mainly we tend to stay away from the bars.

We also love to just walk around the mall with the lil ones, even if we don't buy anything.

After the kids go to sleep, we have a date night. We'll make a special dinner with candles, watch a movie, etc.

Its good to not lose the connection between us even though most of our daily lives revolve around our kids.

Oh! And our gym has a daycare attached so we can bring the kids while we work out-- though I tend to prefer working out at home with dvds right now.
  • MercedesV
    Options
    I like the Date night Idea. :)
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Video games, movies, night out with the inlaws or friends. hiking when we actually get a day together and its nice out. Shopping / window shopping.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm only 23, but I'm old and boring already haha.

My husband and I have fun playing football (when the weather is nice!), renting dvds from Redbox, and loading our toddler up and strolling the mall for a couple hours. We typically don't have money to truly shop, but it's fun to go browse the stores.

My husbands job usually keeps him away from home until late at night, so I spend a lot of time alone in the evening. I love watching tv, especially shows like Big Bang Theory and King of the Hill and doing word puzzles and sudoku.

I don't have many friends because most of the people my age are going to the bars and smoking, etc. I just feel like my life has a higher purpose because I am a mother and wife.
  • MercedesV
    Options
    starbux- Hiking is a great idea. I live in CO so there are actually moutnains to hike. lol
    peanut- I love netflix. I hear you on "Boring" but I've found for me that boring is actually really nice. I would take Boring vs Young ppl problems anyday!

These are all great ideas. Thank you all!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    We have passes to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, so when all else fails, we make the hour drive to Orlando and go there and have fun. :laugh: We also just got passes to our favorite science and interactive museum, which always has fun stuff, as well as events, that we'll be going to.

Movies...we are big on movies!! And we usually have 1 TV show that we both enjoy and can watch together...I make pizza about once every other week, so that's our "TV and pizza" night. :tongue:

I love shopping...even if I'm not buying anything! Just trying on clothes is fun, to me.

Cooking, baking, arts & crafts, stuff around the house, etc.

And of course, working out! I love hiking and bike riding, especially, and hitting up the beach. :smile:
  • elusivezero
    elusivezero Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    a drink or two with close company at a cosy, hole-in-the-wall bar just around the corner. or during the day, me and my partner go to a hardware store and buy random things to make.. well, random stuff. like bird-feeders and planters. i grow a lot of herbs and edible flowers :D
  • Mrs3Mommy
    Options
    Alone he plays video games (but he is 32, not in his 20s) and I read, sew, crochet, or mess around online. Together we watch movies or TV and play Wii or other games although we haven't done that as much lately. With the kids, we go to the zoo, aquarium, amusement parks, museums, parks, anywhere we can!
  • hilaurious
    hilaurious Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We rent movies from the library (free!) and watch after the kids go to bed. Currently we're working our way through the Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes. Also like to read.
  • whitneyrsmith
    whitneyrsmith Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You sound just liike me! We have no children to chase after, and he works quite a bit so I'm usually watching tv and doing my own thing. Same with friends, they all go to bars or have children so we don't really hang out!

I get stuck on what I should do for fun, haha.

My husband and I have fun playing football (when the weather is nice!), renting dvds from Redbox, and loading our toddler up and strolling the mall for a couple hours. We typically don't have money to truly shop, but it's fun to go browse the stores.

My husbands job usually keeps him away from home until late at night, so I spend a lot of time alone in the evening. I love watching tv, especially shows like Big Bang Theory and King of the Hill and doing word puzzles and sudoku.

I don't have many friends because most of the people my age are going to the bars and smoking, etc. I just feel like my life has a higher purpose because I am a mother and wife.
  • verannab
    verannab Posts: 11 Member
    Options

You should like us. My husband and I watch netflix and keep up with our baby (he's two months) I'm finishing school and he works nights. LOL we try to get out for a date night every once in awhile. He and I play Soul Calibur and he's trying to get me to play skyrim. I also like to read when I'm not studying my butt off! Oh and I'm 22.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think I shall do this in list form.
    We like to:

Hike
    Mt. Bike
    Kayak
    Archery
    Shooting
    Explore new places with historical significance or that are just old.
    Snowboard
    Snowshoe
    rollerblade
    camp

Oh my, we do so much more too.

On days we don't feel like going anywhere we will go throw our knives or fling arrows in our back yard.
    Sometimes we will read a book. We never run out of things to do. Part of it, I suppose, is that we just moved from the west coast to the east coast. It's like exploring a whole new country!
    We are very active people.
  • skeck
    skeck Posts: 46
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are on a tight budget and we're pretty lame :)

Things we like to do consist of:
    Bike Rides to new places
    Ping Pong (I bought a cheap, used table)
    Cook new things
    Invite a couple of friends over for "game nights"
    Crossword puzzles

I like to work-out, but the boyfriend doesn't! But, I've recently gotten him to attempt running & biking with me. I have a mini-gym setup in my basement and usually just workout at home.... sometimes that just means Jumping Jacks during commercial breaks :)
  • skeck
    skeck Posts: 46
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are on a tight budget and we're pretty lame :)

Things we like to do consist of:
    Bike Rides to new places
    Ping Pong (I bought a cheap, used table)
    Cook new things
    Invite a couple of friends over for "game nights"
    Crossword puzzles

I like to work-out, but the boyfriend doesn't! But, I've recently gotten him to attempt running & biking with me. I have a mini-gym setup in my basement and usually just workout at home.... somethings that just includes Jumping Jacks during commercial breaks :)
  • jmpetros
    jmpetros Posts: 10
    Options
    Go swimming.
    cook together out of our weight watchers cookbook
    Pray together
    go to the dollar theatre
    walk or bike in a state park
    Gardening
    Volunteer
    Get involved in young adult church group or book club etc.
    Collect beach glass
    Try new and exotic foods at the store
    go shopping
    Board games
    Bowling
    Drive in movies
    Hope this helps!
  • sukari
    sukari Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good topic Merecedes!

Me and my other half mainly play video games - diablo3 at the moment of course but still paying for WoW subscription - and watch stuff on Netflix - currently watching Breaking Bad now that we have watched all of Prison Break.

We try to go snowboarding once a year and occasionally try other things, for example we hired bikes today and rode along the canal - first time I have ridden(?) a bike since I was 12! It was awesome fun but my hands are so sunburnt now!

Basically making the most of life before we have kids and have someone else to think about!

At the moment though a lot of our time is being spent dealing with the purchase of our first house and after that we will be planning our wedding :-D
  • Amyaustin90
    Amyaustin90 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    im another old twenty something lol (im 22)

when i have time alone with my husband we play video games, watch tv and have a movie night once a week.
    i really like being outside so sometimes hikes or kayaking
    he is the indoorsy type

pretty much anytime we have alone is awesome.

most of the time is with my little bro(who lives with us) we watch cartoons, play the wii, go to the park, and started playing board games.

im done with the party life, but all my old friends are still there :(
  • Britt_Duffy
    Britt_Duffy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who like to go kayaking down the saco river (NH is truly nature's playground!) so i've done that a few times this summer. in the winter i'm hoping to get into snowboarding a bit more as well. Normally in the spring/summer months i find an adult rec softball or soccer league to play with. it's fun, burns calories, and gets you out meeting new people!!!