This vicious cycle we call PCOS.

Options
So, for those of you that don't know, I've struggled with my weight since high school. I was always the "bigger" girl. I look back now and at 5'9" and 200lbs, I really wasn't that BIG for my structure, but I was bigger than everyone else. In the early 2000's we found out that my sister had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and even though I hadn't been diagnosed yet (that didn't come for another 4 years or so), it was assumed that I had it too. PCOS causes issues with your hormones and weight gain (among other issues), weight gain and hormone imbalances can turn into Type 2 Diabetes, Diabetes gets better with weight loss, oh but wait...that's right, the PCOS causes weight gain! Well, after so many years of struggling with my weight, the PCOS and the Type 2 Diabetes that came along with it, I'm finally doing something about it. YES...losing weight with PCOS is HARD!! However, I'm no longer using that as my excuse. I'm now using it as a platform to push off of. If PCOS is sitting there wagging it's tongue saying "na na...you're not gonna lose weight!", well I'm just going to have to work that much harder to prove it wrong! I'm on day 60 of a 90 day Beachbody TurboJam/Shakeology/Clean Eating Challenge and I'm already down 34lbs and 25 inches. I'm OFFICIALLY kicking PCOS' behind and I'm not stopping anytime soon.

How many of you are dealing with PCOS (or another medical condition) as a roadblock?

Replies

• saladinocl
    saladinocl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    way to go for not letting PCOS control you and your weight loss success! I am very fortunate to not have any (known) medical issues. No, I know my not losing weight is all me and my love of food!! :) Having what I consider a food addiction is very discouraging. Sometimes I crave food and am so focused on food that I think if I don't eat something I'll scream (even when I'm so full I could bust). Then other times food doesn't enter my mind. You are a great encouragement to m.e if you can lose your weight with PCOS trying to stop you so to speak, then I can do it too! Let's get this weight off! :)
  • jenniferlthomas0305
    jenniferlthomas0305 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Christy! I've struggled with food for sooooo long. I used to literally eat until I made myself nauseous then I'd eat some more. I've always had very strong cravings and with the hormone imbalances...whoa! Overeating is not always a conscious decision and it can tear you down more than other's realize. Unfortunately, overeating is usually also tied in with depression. Depression makes you want to eat then overeating leads to depression. As strange as it sounds, my workouts have greatly improved the overeating and depression issues.

So many obstacles, so little time. I've dealt with the overeating, I've dealt with the depression, I've dealt with the PCOS and diabetes and I've dealt also with Fibromyalgia. If you have questions, ask. If I don't have the answer, it's possible that someone else in the group might! We're all in this together.

Christy, I'm so happy to have been an encouragement to you. This is why I'm doing this. I want to be able to help everyone I possibly can, sincerely. Even if it's just a little note on your daily diary. People get excited when they see that someone cares enough to take time out of their day to encourage them. I know I do!

P.S. For those of you that I'm not friends with yet, feel free to add and I'll do my best to leave you daily encouragement as well! :)
  • countrygal02012
    countrygal02012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You are very inspiring and very encouraging ... I love seeing that you have responded to my blog or other issues. It is motivating to see that you are fighting your health issues and WINNING! I have suffered with weight issues since I was a child aswell and with anxiety/depression. The anxiety and depression is much much better and under control most of the time. But it doesn't help with getting the weight off... but hearing you are beating PCOS, etc... it motivates me to not make that as an excuse!
  • jenniferlthomas0305
    Options
    Thank you Diane. That is definitely why I'm here. I want to be able to help as many people as I possibly can because I've "been there" and it's not a fun place to be. I just want everyone to be able to feel their best and live their best life possible. Very happy to be able to help.