Online Dating Sites?

Options
What online dating sites have you used?

Any ones that you have liked or have heard good things about?
Any ones that you have disliked (for whatever reason) or have heard bad things about?

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I asked this a a few weeks back, with a British slant. The general gist seemed to be that they're all equally bad, and it really just comes down to luck whether or not you meet someone through them. I'm starting to consider a matchmaking bureau - people are surely better at this than computers. :laugh:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    IMHO:

Eharmony stinks - I'm not going to wait for you to send me matches mean while you charge me an arm and a leg and an eyeball...sometimes not getting any matches at all
    POF is low quality, but high quantity
    Match.com similar to POF
    OK Cupid again somewhat similar to POF/Match.com
    Meet a Cowboy - :)
    Farmers Only - low quantity

I can't believe I aired my dirty laundry....keep in mind this has been over a span of 4 years, I haven't beenon all of them at the same time.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I agree on eHarmony stinking. What a total waste of my money. Two six month subscriptions, each got me one date with a match I wouldn't want to pursue anything with. People are sold on the fairy tale here because of the perfect match ideal, so there is very little communication after all the looking.

OKCupid has been the best for me so far in getting interest; however, most are men who aren't really compatible. Had one great match there I dated 2 months, but we are trying friends only because of a big life goal difference. I like the questions and that you look for people who match up by percentage.

PoF was kind of weird. I think the free sites can attract some strange folks. A friend of my swears by PoF. She got a lot of good matches there. That lead us to believe that the usefulness of any given site might be regional. Perhaps PoF had better marketing where she lives or just by word of mouth, the dating pool is a little different. I think all you can do is dive into the pool and see what you get. If the site isn't working for you, leave it and stick to one that is.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    In terms of the sites I've had the most luck on, this is how I rank them:
    1. Match
    2. POF
    3. eHarmony
    4. OkCupid

I liked the concept of OKC the best, I just didn't hit it off with anyone there. POF is a horrible site, there's just too much going on, and it's definitely quantity over quality in my area at least. eHarmony is just awful, I have to wait for them to send me matches? WTF is that? Just let me browse through them so I can pick the ones I like instead of sending me matches I'm not at all interested in. MFP is probably better than all of them.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have tried the top 4 at different times as well...POF, OKC, Match and Eharmony.

I think it depends where you are with how much luck you will have, with the exception of eharmony--never hear anything good about that, and I didn't like it at all, and it took HOURS to fill out the questionnaire to open an acccount and it is expensive. My suggestion is to try the free sites first and see what you get, if not good fits, then try one of the pay ones (if you aren't too jaded by then :))
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    MFP is probably better than all of them.

^^^ THIS!

I will be honest.. .there are guys here on MFP that I talk too :blushing: and would LOVE to get together with to see if things would "click"... and if geography wasn't an issue I'd be all over them! These are quality guys... and even if they were/are also on POF or Match, I'd never will come across them. MFP is pretty cool because people get to know each other's personalities and not just rely on a photo.

Darn why is all this dirt in my way!!! I need to move EASTWARD!
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've been told some of the commonality type dating sites (Catholics, Farmers, etc) seem to allow for more potential dates because there's already a commonality there - but I haven't personally tried them yet.

I tried Match once. I didn't get anything out of it. Plus things that are photo based tend to not do well for me. I'm not exactly photogenic. :-P
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have only tried Match.com but I met my boyfriend on there and he is amazing.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I have only tried Match.com but I met my boyfriend on there and he is amazing.
    I have an older friends (in her 60s) who met her husband on Match. I've never tried that one myself.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've been on Match (two times) Craigslist, eHarmony, ChristianMingle, a couple of little ones for interracial dating and even (dare I admit it) one geared toward celibate singles (which got me the GREATEST number of NSA freaks)

I had a rough time with Match the first time. I met two great guys and got contacted by a whole bunch of jerks. This time around, I've met a better selection of guys and I'm not sure why the difference except my picture is updated (~10 lbs weight loss) but other than that the profile is the same. I've had a lot more fun this time. Some friends getting married next month met on Match, but their lives had been closley mingled and they never knew it.

eHarmony was a total waste of my money and their system is difficult to get through. I did it because a friend seemed like she was having good luck there. The jury's still out on her case- it matched her with someone I know in person and think would be a GREAT match for her. I don't mind the way they slow you down at first, but once you get to the email stage it seems like the system doesn't work and your emails don't get through. They have a new feature that allows you to browse other people who aren't one of your "matches" but it's not letting you search. My mom's good friends met on eHarmony.

Craigslist is where I met the most weirdos in person, but I've heard good things about it from others. Christian Mingle I met a few guys who were Sunday school teachers/pastors but trying to get in my pants faster than the "heathens" were. lol.

All in all, I think online sites are great for meeting people. From what I hear on this boad, though, my experience is kinda rare. And even then, I've not met "the one." lol.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    things that are photo based tend to not do well for me. I'm not exactly photogenic.

Your photo here is LOVELY!!
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've tried OKC and POF.. deleted both. They were okay. Spent way too much time emailing people and not getting a response. lol.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I did eHarmony, Match, POF, Christen Mingle. I did date a guy from Match for two years but in the end we wanted different things. I have had friends that have had great luck on Match, too.

I really didn't tlike POF, so many creepy messages. I didn't get a single response from Christen Mingle:(

I just keep trying...
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The only two I've tried are Plenty of fish and OkCupid. I went out four different dates from POF and they were all pretty mediocre....two tried to take me home the first night and one was talking relationship on the first date. I guess the other one wasn't physically attracted to me because he called it off as soon as we met. I will say that my best friend met her now husband on POF so I guess sometimes it comes down to luck. I've only done one date from Okcupid and decided to take a break for awhile from online dating. I did join a rec soccer league and I'm meeting some really cool people. Not to mention we already have a shared love for the game....and well soccer players are hot :smokin:
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've tried most of the popular ones but only have the POF one left. All I seem to get from this site is men who still live with thier mothers. I know people go through hard times but it seriously turns me off because I am a 28 yr old independant chic with her own house and car. I don't want to be a sugar momma :)
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I met some great people on Match.com. There didn't end up being a match for us, but they were still great. POF i've met 2 nice guys and a lot of guys messaging for boob shots
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I just deleted my OKC profile this morning. Was not finding anyone remotely interesting on there. I don't know if it's that I'm too picky or that there's no one on there in my area that sparked my interest.

I got plenty of messages, and lots of page views, but didn't come across a guy that I would have even a little bit of interest in. I'm giving up online sites for now and hopefully just getting out and doing more stuff I enjoy will provide a better opportunity to meet someone. :smile:
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Here's how I'd rank them, based on my experience in North Carolina, though I'm sure other areas are different.

1. POF
    2. OKC
    3. Match.com
    4. eHarmony

eHarmony gives you no control. In my experience, because I'm so active and exercise regularly, it matches me with a bunch of guys that won't talk to me and then I can't even search for myself. Match is slightly better but honestly, I'd say that it depends on you. I don't consider myself someone who would have much luck online so Match was a bomb for me. I got 8 messages in 7 weeks and 4 of them were scams (emails that come suspiciously right after I give negative feedback or deactivate, come from somewhere miles away, and from profiles that deactivate within days). OKC and POF are a toss up. A LOT OF JUNK to weed through, but I got 30-40 messages in a month on POF. Only 1-2 worth talking to but it beat the others and was Free. Good Luck!!