What to wear

Options
sonyachan
sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
I'm doing my first sprint in September with an ocean swim. The water will still be warm here in South Carolina, and I don't want to invest in a wetsuit. That being said, should I just invest in a tri suit to wear for the whole race? Or should I wear a swim suit in the water and then put something on when I get on the bike? I'm thinking wet tri suit = much chafing. So I'd love to hear what you experience folks would do/have done. Thanks!

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    The actual tri suits dry out super fast on the bike as long as it fits you well, so there shouldn't be much chafing. That said, you can always use Body Glide on areas you are worried about chafing. For my first sprint tri, I didn't want to invest in a tri suit so I wore my swimsuit in the water then put on tri shorts over my swimsuit for the bike and run. The swimsuit takes longer to dry out than the tri suits do. After my first sprint, I decided I wanted to stick with triathlons, so I invested in tri tops and more tri shorts. You can adjust a two piece tri suit more to prevent chafing more than you can adjust the one piece tri suits.

Good luck!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I was un willing to spend the money before I knew what I was doing. LOL.... still don't however, I wear compression shorts and sport bra to swim and then put on a Tshirt and running shorts over. It all dries pretty quick. Best of luck. Oh look on Amazon if you're shopping.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd go tri suit. They dry out within the time you're in T1 usually, they have a pad for the bike, and they're pretty much designed for this. You can do shorter races in a bathing suit, but I hurt just thinking about that. What ever you do wear whatever you plan to bike and run in into the water. There is no reason to change clothes in transition. Plus changing wet compression clothing/putting on compression clothing while your skin is wet is a pain in the *kitten*.
  • sonyachan
    Options
    Thanks guys! Sounds like a tri suit will be a good investment. I am planning to try more tri's in the future anyway. :)
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have a tri suit and love it. I shopped around for a deal on one, as they can be quite expensive! On the three I've done, the suit has been dry so quickly that I never even noticed it being wet. I would hate to have on a wet bathing suit and have to add another step to my transition. Good luck!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Go with the trisuit, it's worth it. Just be sure to get a 2 piece - too many issues with a one piece.
  • vtate75
    Options
    Go with the trisuit, it's worth it. Just be sure to get a 2 piece - too many issues with a one piece.

I disagree. Mine is a one piece and I love it. I haven't had any issues at all. Now, if you think you'll stop during the race to use a porta potty...maybe...but I don't do that!
  • symegeer
    symegeer Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just from my personal experience, even if your tri suit has a built in shelf bra I would wear a sports bra underneath as well. I saw a lot of, shall we say, unsupported ladies at my last tri and a couple were even holding their chests as they ran because they only had a swim/tri suit on under their tops.
  • sonyachan
    Options
    So much good advice! One more question....I'm looking on ebay at used ones since I have limited $$$ to spend. Do they tend to fit small? I wear a 12-14 now, so I assume I would order a large. Good assumption?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    So much good advice! One more question....I'm looking on ebay at used ones since I have limited $$$ to spend. Do they tend to fit small? I wear a 12-14 now, so I assume I would order a large. Good assumption?

Probably right.
  • vtate75
    Options

I'm a size 6 and I have a medium. I think they differ by brand, but I would go for a large as a 12. Good luck!
  • sonyachan
    Options
    Just got a really good deal on Sierra Trading Post....a Zoot tri suit for $49 with shipping! Got an XL since the sizing chart that was a 12-14. Hopefully it works well. :)