Toe Clips - I Hate Them!

Options
I took a nasty spill on my bike yesterday partially because three people did not yield the right of way to me and second because I could not get my foot out of the toe clip. I also can't mount and take off on the bike with the toe clips without practically falling over because I'm trying to flip the pedal around, fit my foot in, and by that time I'm lying on the ground. :frown:

Will it ever get easier or should I remove them altogether?

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets easier. You will still have random times that you can't get unclipped and you topple over, but they will be few and far between.
  • jkrobertson1998
    jkrobertson1998 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. So, I put them on my old bike and rode down a rode with less traffic. I all I did was prictice clipping in and out. Also, you may need to adjust the pedals.
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    OK. Thanks guys! I'm going to keep trying. It's been less than a week so I'm not going to give up. The next time I ride though, I will probably go out to the country where there's little to no traffic. :noway:
  • scott091501
    Options
    Where in Houston are you? There are good routes in Katy and a ton out 290 just past the outlet mall.
  • blaquebutterfly75
    Options
    I'm more near 290/Cypress/249.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. I think there will always be random spills, but in general, it gets easier. I took a spill a few weeks ago...annoying and embarrassing...but in general I don't fall. I still struggle with quickly mounting, but I know it will come.
  • scott091501
    Options

http://www.northwestcyclingclub.com/index.php/rides-and-events/club-rides/saturday

Bunch of good maps there. Honestly we normally just park at the Hockley Community Center, ride out Old Washington, hang a left on FM 359 and go until we're at halfway without time and then Uturn it and head back. It's easy and safe. If you're really in the Cypress area you should look up the Cypress Triathlon Club on Facebook. Lots of good folks ranging from beginners to sub 10 hour IM guys and gals in the club.
  • blaquebutterfly75
    Options

http://www.northwestcyclingclub.com/index.php/rides-and-events/club-rides/saturday

Bunch of good maps there. Honestly we normally just park at the Hockley Community Center, ride out Old Washington, hang a left on FM 359 and go until we're at halfway without time and then Uturn it and head back. It's easy and safe. If you're really in the Cypress area you should look up the Cypress Triathlon Club on Facebook. Lots of good folks ranging from beginners to sub 10 hour IM guys and gals in the club.

Thank you so much!!! I printed the map and I will look up the group on FB. :smile:
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When you say "toe clips", what exactly are you referring to?

If you're referring to the old style pedal clips, with that big cage looking thing that you slide your toe box into, and yes it ALWAYS flips over, then jeez no wonder you're taking spills and having troubles getting in/out of them. If that's the case then my best advice is upgrade. Upgrade your pedals and shoes. You can buy affordable upgrades without breaking the bank that will make you, your bike, and your riding MUCH MUCH better.

If by "toe clips" you mean the new standard version of pedals, the kind called "clip less" but are actually clips (I can never figure this out...), then all I can tell you is hang in there, and keep practicing clipping in and out. It DOES get better, honest. Although, to be honest, occasional spills do still happen...
  • blaquebutterfly75
    Options
    When you say "toe clips", what exactly are you referring to?

If you're referring to the old style pedal clips, with that big cage looking thing that you slide your toe box into, and yes it ALWAYS flips over, then jeez no wonder you're taking spills and having troubles getting in/out of them. If that's the case then my best advice is upgrade. Upgrade your pedals and shoes. You can buy affordable upgrades without breaking the bank that will make you, your bike, and your riding MUCH MUCH better.

Yes, I'm referring to those. :frown: Unfortunately, my budget, no matter how friendly the price may be, will not allow me to upgrade to pedals and shoes at this time. I'm just going to have to keep practicing.
  • symegeer
    symegeer Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Do you start out with one foot already clipped in? That's made the difference for me!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just got new shoes and cleats, they seem harder to unclip than I remember, going to practice on my bike trainer and see if that helps , its been 10 years since I used, think I'm more nervous this time lol, even though I didnt have any bad spills in the past....